need some surly market research re: reality/docu-series tv

henrygandorf

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Does the competition exist outside of the series?  Because I think that's where some of these competition shows get in trouble, when the competition only happens for the show.  Like Formula 1 could be considered a competition show, but the competition exists regardless of the film crew being there or not, and it's more about the audience peeking "behind the curtains" while the event is playing out.

And then you have Great British Baking Show - the competition exists only for the reality TV series, but it doesn't feel like it.  It just feels like we are again, peeking behind the curtain of something playing out.

But, not an expert and it can be done competitions that exist only for the shows do well - Survivor is still around.

in a weird way, i would liken it to the great food truck race.  food trucks exist, and their goal is to sell food and make money, even though they're not technically in direct competition with other food trucks.  except they kinda are, because i guess all restaurants are in competition with each other. 

what we're showcasing is already happening on its own.  we're shining a light.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in a weird way, i would liken it to the great food truck race.  food trucks exist, and their goal is to sell food and make money, even though they're not technically in direct competition with other food trucks.  except they kinda are, because i guess all restaurants are in competition with each other. 

what we're showcasing is already happening on its own.  we're shining a light.

This is about Brazzers, Vivid, Bangbus, etc. isn't it?

I enjoyed the first few seasons of pawn stars before the scripting got too stupid to tolerate. I'm big into history and love museums so I'd watch for the cool antiquities people would bring in. Stuff like original letters, and possessions from history. Antique roadshow is my jam.

I also got into the Jersey Shore because of its absurdity. The characters were such pieces of shit that it made me feel better about myself as a human being.

Enjoyed couple seasons of hells kitchen cause I love to cook, but it got too repetitive. Can only take so many of Gordon Ramsey is a cunt story lines.

Are we getting paid for this? I got $100 for telling a dos equis rep that Corona is shit.

Edited by MissingInAction

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I enjoyed the first few seasons of pawn stars before the scripting got too stupid to tolerate. I'm big into history and love museums so I'd watch for the cool antiquities people would bring in. Stuff like original letters, and possessions from history. Antique roadshow is my jam.

I also got into the Jersey Shore because of its absurdity. The characters were such pieces of shit that it made me feel better about myself as a human being.

Enjoyed couple seasons of hells kitchen cause I love to cook, but it got too repetitive. Can only take so many of Gordon Ramsey is a cunt story lines.

Are we getting paid for this? I got $100 for telling a dos equis rep that Corona is shit.

everybody in on page 1 already got paid.

HG,

I am guessing you might need some demographics as well.   I am 46 yrs. old now.   I enjoyed the hell out of The Real World when it debuted.  I watched a little Survivor but it was mostly about bitchassedness so I really didn't care.   I watched the Love on the Spectrum with the wife, and saw a little of the 90 Day Fiancée but the last one was tolerable.   I agree with NMAS, in that I want to learn something or get something out of it.  The blowing glass show was odd, but the artwork was really impressive.  I actually FF a few episodes because the reveal was more interesting that the build-up in many cases.   Forged in Fire is one I watched and Top Shot a while back.  It was mostly just as empty filler but I was actually impressed by the shooting of one, and the shit they build in the other. 

I could have watched the Real Housewives a few times with the wife at one point but it just became insufferable and the scenery wasn't worth it.  I did suffer through a few episodes of the Kardashians with the wife when that was on but only on the first 1 or 2 seasons.   I couldn't take it much either.   

Time Team/Top Gear I was late to watching but on occasion I will catch one or two.  I did watch the Farm season, vietnam boat season, and the Madagascar one as well.    I looked forward to the other racing show (Supercar?) that netflix did, but I lost interest during the second season.  

Last Chance U,  Loved it all.  Even if it was formulaic.  

QB1 - meh, I think I watched the one with Fromm, but didn't finish the one with Rattler.  

Does watching Man Bites Dog count?  The scene where the two film crews meet up was hysterical.

UFC - watched a few, got bored fairly quickly.

BB - never watched.

Bachelor - never watched

Rock of Love - watched for the trashiness  

Rock Star INXS - really liked that one.  It did something few shows ever did, there was an impact.  The guy who won, actually recorded with the band.

Apprentice- Watched that one initially, but when the first season winner just fell off the map, it was a disappointment.    You kind of wanted to see more.  The following seasons were formulaic and predictable and the celebrity ones boosted it, but they sucked as well.

Celebrity Rehab,  watched it for the trashiness as well.   Kind of sucked to see how fucked up some of them were.   I did get wary of Dr. Drew during that show though as it looked like it was a hustle for him and not something a doc was doing for the benefit of his patients. 

Texas Football - best played at 3x speed with Yakety Sax.

First 48, I used to watch that too, but it became too repetitive.

Cops, that was fun when I was younger.  

I even liked this airline reality show where they focused on workers in airports.

Dirty Jobs, was meh, mostly because everyone tried to ham up how hard their job was.   And I know MF's that worked in worse conditions or come home ragged from working days on end (no sleep).  

The kid pageant show was interesting at first because of how I never knew this shit existed, but it quickly got too weird for me and the wife.

Amazing race, I watched this one, the ecco one (with Bear) , and even the old ESPN one.   None of them are memorable to me, outside of the Alzheimer dad and son on the Bear show.    I probably watched 2 seasons of Amazing race.  

All in all I think what was missing was something real to come out of it, like the old Ed McMahon show which people actually did come out of.  

• Like 1