Today in History...

phdhorn

25 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

October 14 is World Standards Day, a day near and dear to the hearts of Sheldon Cooper clones everywhere.

In 1946, delegates from 25 countries gathered in London to discuss the creation of the International Organization for Standardization, dedicated to the development of internationally recognizable standards within engineering, electronics, and other industries and areas of scientific endeavor where globalization increases the pressure on those who seek to make sure when we measure something in one country, those results are recognizable, understandable, and duplicatable in another country.

It's been nearly 20 years now but I remember when NASA didn't get the memo.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

October 14 is World Standards Day, a day near and dear to the hearts of Sheldon Cooper clones everywhere.
In 1946, delegates from 25 countries gathered in London to discuss the creation of the International Organization for Standardization, dedicated to the development of internationally recognizable standards within engineering, electronics, and other industries and areas of scientific endeavor where globalization increases the pressure on those who seek to make sure when we measure something in one country, those results are recognizable, understandable, and duplicatable in another country.
And the iPhone charger department said:

turning over even more authority and despotic potential to the Emperor was not a great move, IMO.  Economically, the move benefited them as they moved to a market economy.  However, that much authority only took a few decades to be abused and you get Hirohito.  His greed cost the lives of 3,000,000 Japanese, many in a rather horrifying manner.  

I realize the evolution of their nation was inevitable, but too much power was shifted too quickly to too few.  We see it all throughout history, but rarely does that shift result in starting so much shit with so many other global powers in such a short period of time.  tl; dr---shit got weird.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

turning over even more authority and despotic potential to the Emperor was not a great move, IMO.  Economically, the move benefited them as they moved to a market economy.  However, that much authority only took a few decades to be abused and you get Hirohito.  His greed cost the lives of 3,000,000 Japanese, many in a rather horrifying manner.  

I realize the evolution of their nation was inevitable, but too much power was shifted too quickly to too few.  We see it all throughout history, but rarely does that shift result in starting so much shit with so many other global powers in such a short period of time.  tl; dr---shit got weird.  

Bullshit. One of the first things the emperor accomplished was establishment of prefectures for local governing and the Diet and a prime minister.

^

okay then, I retract my contention.  The local governance and prime minister system worked really well for countering the Emperor's desire to go to war with 2/3rds of the planet.  

Not too much different from USA but we call it Mexican Cession, the Overthrow and Annexation of Hawaii, Opening of Japan, dominating Spain's former colonies, recognizing the rebel country of Panama, defending it from Columbia and signing the treaty to built a canal within a matter of days, etc. The rest of the world calls it American imperialism.

Our historical system of "Imperialism" is the curious exception to history.  We didn't get powerful and then acquire land.  We acquired land and then got powerful.  

FDR, the patron Saint of progressivism, telegraphed our ascension to the global throne in a way that continues to hold me in awe to this day.  He saw everything from the military industrial complex, to the capitulation of traditional colonial powers, to the establishment of reserve currency at Bretton-Woods, and even caught a lucky break with the Manhattan Project.  He saw more into the looking glass of historical futurism than any one man should be allowed.   Transferring that much power to the Emperor was I think a mistake for Japan.  Many disagree, I get it.  There's a also a reputable school of thought of history that says FDR knew about the invasion of Pearl Harbor and let it happen so as to catapult the U.S. into the war.  Many progressives oppose entering a war against nations/actors that have not directly attacked the U.S.  I'm still waiting, almost 80 years later for proof that Germany attacked the U.S.  

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Our historical system of "Imperialism" is the curious exception to history.  We didn't get powerful and then acquire land.  We acquired land and then got powerful.  

FDR, the patron Saint of progressivism, telegraphed our ascension to the global throne in a way that continues to hold me in awe to this day.  He saw everything from the military industrial complex, to the capitulation of traditional colonial powers, to the establishment of reserve currency at Bretton-Woods, and even caught a lucky break with the Manhattan Project.  He saw more into the looking glass of historical futurism than any one man should be allowed.   Transferring that much power to the Emperor was I think a mistake for Japan.  Many disagree, I get it.  There's a also a reputable school of thought of history that says FDR knew about the invasion of Pearl Harbor and let it happen so as to catapult the U.S. into the war.  Many progressives oppose entering a war against nations/actors that have not directly attacked the U.S.  I'm still waiting, almost 80 years later for proof that Germany attacked the U.S.  

FDR the war criminal?

Edited by Stoogey

October 15th, 1917, Dutch exotic dancer Mata Hari (Margaretha ZelleGeertruida MacLeod), 41, convicted by a French military court of spying for the Germans, was executed by a firing squad outside Paris. (Maintaining her innocence to the end, Mata Hari refused a blindfold and blew a kiss to her executioners.)

October 15 is Global Handwashing Day. GHD was founded in 2008 as part of a campaign to reduce childhood mortality rates related to respiratory and diarrheal diseases worldwide through simple behavioral changes; hand washing with soap is the single most effective and inexpensive way to prevent diarrhea and acute respiratory infections.

In the industrialized world, where indoor plumbing is now taken for granted, handwashing has become a mostly automatic behavior, though even here, there are disturbing trends (the percentage of people who do not wash -- or who do not wash thoroughly -- after using a public restroom is shamefully high). 

In the developing world, however, lack of indoor plumbing has made washing hands something of a novelty. Over 70 nations (from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe) are part of the effort to increase awareness of hygiene as a disease-fighting tool. Sesame Street has gotten into the act with a video on the subject, translated into innumerable languages.

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

There's a also a reputable school of thought of history that says FDR knew about the invasion of Pearl Harbor and let it happen so as to catapult the U.S. into the war.  Many progressives oppose entering a war against nations/actors that have not directly attacked the U.S.  I'm still waiting, almost 80 years later for proof that Germany attacked the U.S. 

you do realize that that last time the US declared war was Dec 8th, 1941??  And that declaration of war was against The Empire of Japan?

you dont fucking need ANY FUCKING proof that Germany attacked the US, because its not fucking needed, as they declared war on the US!

Oh yeah, and almost immediately afterwards, starting on Jan 13, 1942,  Germany sent a fuckton of Uboats  to the mouths of all the Northeastern ports (Boston, NY/NJ, Bridgeport, Providence, New London, New Haven, Philly) Harbors to lie in wait and sink any and all shipping leaving those ports (regardless of Flag flown).

The Germans attacked without any practical US Navy support or response for 8 FULL months- A failure 10X worse than Pear Harbor.   Why? because the Navy KNEW we were losing ship after ship, and they purposely kept that news from the public- compounded by the fact that the British told the US as soon as the war started that the Navy needed to get a convoy system going- the Navy thought the British didnt know shit, and made no real attempt to provide protection, letting ships sail on their own without any protection for 8 months until they were finally forced to accept the British Convoy ideas for protection.

So in regards to your statement, Germany attacked the shit out of the US before we did anything to them.

They "attacked the shit out of the U.S."?  Wow, if a weather post in Canada is "the shit out of the U.S.", I'd hate to see what actual warfare would have looked like.  Also, a half dozen countries have declared war on the U.S. in the last 150 years, we didn't do anything except make a note of it in the Congressional record.  The U.S. casualties inflicted by Germans prior to our declaration was massive.  For the 18 months following, it was dicey.  

I'm not sure which half dozen countries in the last 150 years you're talking about.  Croatia and Thailand declared war on the US during WWII and we didn't declare war on them, but Thailand was a puppet state of Japan and I'm not sure anyone knew where Croatia was.  If you're including Panama in 1989, I'm not sure that's actually been documented.  Anyway we invaded Panama.  Other than that, what countries have declared war on the US in the last 150 years where we either didn't declare war on them, invade them, or just blow the shit out of them? 

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not sure which half dozen countries in the last 150 years you're talking about.  Croatia and Thailand declared ware on the US during WWII and we didn't declare war on them, but Thailand was a puppet state of Japan and I'm not sure anyone knew where Croatia was.  If you're including Panama in 1989, I'm not sure that's actually been documented.  Anyway we invaded Panama.  Other than that, what countries have declared war on the US in the last 150 years where we either didn't declare war on them, invade them, or just blow the shit out of them? 

You trying to say the US blows other countries ??!!

• Like 1

Since the regulars are sleeping on the job...

Today in 1940, the U.S. army promoted its first African American Brigadier General.  After graduating from West Point, he was one of two African American officers; the other was his dad.  He flew in 60 missions in both WWII and Korea in the P-39, P40, P-47, and P-51.  He is considered to be the founder of the Tuskegee Airmen, and let the group throughout WW II.

15 hours ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

Since the regulars are sleeping on the job...

Today in 1940, the U.S. army promoted its first African American Brigadier General.  After graduating from West Point, he was one of two African American officers; the other was his dad.  He flew in 60 missions in both WWII and Korea in the P-39, P40, P-47, and P-51.  He is considered to be the founder of the Tuskegee Airmen, and let the group throughout WW II.

Is he nameless?

Oct. 17, 1814—204 years ago today--the London Beer Flood inundated the St. Giles district of the British capital as a vat at Meux's Brewery on Tottenham Court Road ruptured, causing other vats to burst and sending more than 320,000 gallons of beer into the streets. As many as nine people were reported to have been killed.

On October 17, 1777, British General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne handed his sword to Continental Army General Horatio Gates after the Battles of Saratoga, thus ending the disastrous British Saratoga campaign, which had been intended to divide the New England colonies from the rest of the American forces scattered in Pennsylvania and points south.

Burgoyne had used his considerable influence at court in England to acquire the right to lead this campaign, and it irked the British officer in overall command in the Americas (General William Howe) to no end. In fact, Howe used every loophole he could find in the orders commanding him to support Burgoyne and, rather than rushing to his aid when it became obvious Burgoyne's large force would be captured, Howe snuggled up tight in Philadelphia (happily ensconced with the less-than-virtuous-but-more-than-ambitious wife of one of his officers).

As it turns out, none of the main characters in this little drama come off especially well: Burgoyne overestimated his ability to maneuver in the wilds of Vermont, New Hampshire and upstate New York. Howe, obviously, was not merely indolent to the point of indigestion, he bordered on insubordinate to his King. 

And even Horatio Gates, whom the Colonial press referred to as the "Hero of Saratoga" was actually borrowing the feathers of General Benedict Arnold, who was the real brains behind the American victory. Gates' incompetence became clear to everyone after his pathetic showing when given command of the Southern campaign later in the war; only the brilliance of Nathanael Greene saved the Colonials in that later campaign.

539 BCE - Cyrus the Great marches into Babylon, releasing the Jews from 70 years of enslavement/exile. Cyrus then allowed the Jews to return to Yehud Medinata and to rebuild the 2nd Temple in Jerusalam. 

1091 - The Great London Tornado which is estimated to be an F4, destroyed the wooden London Bridge, churches and over 600 wooden homes in central London.

1610 - French King Louis XIII is crowed

1781 - British General Cornwallis offers his surrender to the Americans at Yorktown

1931- Al Capone convicted of tax evasion.

1956- Chess players Bobby Fischer (13) wins against Donald Byrne (26) in “the game of the century” which is still considered a “Masterpiece” and one of the finest chest games on record. 

1973 - OPEC oil embargo starts against countries that helped Israel in their war with Syria

1977 - German Autum, four days after a hijacked Lufthansa flight 181 lands in Mogadishu, German commandos storm and rescue all hostages. 

October 18 is Persons Day in Canada.  On October 18, 1929, the Judicial Committee of the Imperial Privy Council (at the time, the Canadian Supreme Court) handed down their decision in the case of Edwards v. Canada (Attorney General) in which they held that women were eligible to serve in the Canadian Senate.  Beginning on the 50th anniversary of the decision, the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case are handed out annually for persons of merit who contribute to advancing equality of women in Canada.  "Hear me roar, eh?"

1867 - The US takes control of Alaska from Russia for $7.2Mill

1954 - Texas Instruments announces the first transistor radio 

1922 - BBC is founded

1851- ‘Moby-Dick’ is published for the first time under the title “The Whale”

1945 - Juan Perón marriage to Evita

Edited by Doc Reeves

52 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

1962, A little thing I like to call...... The Cuban Missile Crisis.

CSB:  My father was aboard ship during this.  His rank put him in the island of his carrier.  The instructions at this time were to be completely dark with no outgoing signals, go in a random course, don't let anyone know where you are, and actually have planes on the deck loaded for bear with the sort of stuff that violated treaties.

• Like 1

2012 - Big Tex is destroyed by fire at the TX state Fair. Authorities suspected radical Oklahoman insurgents who were never apprehended

1987 - Black Monday. Dow falls 22% in one day ending the fast spending culture of the 80s

1469 - Ferdinand of Aragon marries Isabella of Catstile in the first shared and equal monarchy in history and thereby unifing their countries into Spain

1873 - Yale, Rutgers, Colombia and Princeton draft the first code of rules for American Football.

1453 - The French recapture Boudreaux from the English bringing to a close the 100 Years War

Edited by Doc Reeves

1977 - plane carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd crashes killing Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines.

1973- Sydney Opera House Opens

1967- A purported Big Foot is caught on film by Patterson and Gimlin

1951- The Johnny Bright Incident.  Black football player Johnny Brights jaw is broken by a punch from a white Oklahoma A&M player during a play. The series of photos showing Johnny being targeted and assaulted during the play go on to win the Pulitzer Prize and the cover of Life Magazine.

On October 20, 1873, Yale, Princeton, Columbia and Rutgers universities drafted the first code of rules for American Football. 

Rules (always a good idea for games, one would imagine) were more necessary in the case of the newly invented sport owing to the fact that at the time, every game played since the first contest between Rutgers and Princeton had been played according to the rules set in place by the home team. 

Initially, football looked an awful lot like rugby, with anywhere from 25-40 players on each side running roughshod over each other; there weren't even any "downs" or "snaps" -- it was a disorganized, violent, bloody mess (as opposed to the organized and sanitary violent, bloody mess it is now). 

It wasn't until 1880 when Walter Camp revised the rules that the number of players per side was limited to 11, and the idea of "downs" replaced the mad rugby-style scrums which had lead to unacceptable injury -- and even mortality -- rates, the way the game had originally been played.

Tom Torlino matriculates at The United States Indian Industrial School in Carlisle, Pennsylvania AKA Carlisle Indian School from October 21, 1882 until August 28, 1886.

bQijvRU2_o.jpg

Same school later attended by Olympic gold medalist Jim Thorpe who was coached by Pop Warner in track and football and competed in lacrosse and baseball.

XJScztT2_o.jpg

And winner of the 1912 intercollegiate ballroom dancing championship.

October 21st is the International Day of the Nacho. Nachos were invented circa 1943 by Mexican restaurateur Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya at his restaurant El Moderno in Piedras Negras, Coahuila (right across the border from Eagle Pass, Texas).

The original rendition was a simple dish of fried tortilla chips topped with melted cheese and jalapeños; nowadays, of course, there are as many variations on the nacho theme as there are people enlightened enough to eat this, the king of finger foods.

The International Nacho Festival is held in Piedras Negras (typically between October 13 and 15 -- why it's not on October 21st, we don't know) and features the "biggest nacho of the world" contest, which you can read about in the Guinness Book of World Records, if you are so inclined.

I'd rather just heat up some bean and cheese nachos, with a dash of guacamole. And maybe put on Los Lobos. You know, for ambience.

October 22nd is Wombat Day. A protected animal in every Australian state other than Victoria, the wombat is a short-legged, four-footed marsupial with a stubby tail, a funny name, and a distinctive ecological niche. 

Burrowing animals, they have a diet consisting of grasses, sedges, herbs, bark and roots. They have an exceptionally slow metabolism, taking 8-14 days to finish digesting a single meal. This makes it easy to live in the Australian heathlands (mountain areas with lots of bushy groundcover) where plenty of plants can be found, but due to the hot and dry climate, none of them will especially remind you of a salad bar. Unless maybe you're thinking about the tongs, because there's plenty of dry branches around that might remind you of... never mind. I'm digressing. Anyway, wombats are considered a pest by ranchers and large-scale farmers. 

1836- Sam Houston is inaugurated ast the President of the Repulic of Texas

1844- The Great American Anticipation: Followers of William Miller (Millerites) believed the 2nd coming of Christ along with the end of the world would come today. 

1879- Thomas Edison tests the first practical light bulb. It bums for 13.5 hrs.

1910- Dr. Crippen is convited of murdering his wife.

1926- J Gordon Whitehead sucker punches Harry Houdini in the stomach, leading to his death days later

1934- Pretty Boy Floyd is killed by the FBI in a bank robbery in Ohio.

1983- 2 corrections officers in Illinois are killed by inmates leading to the Superman model of prisons.

2014- a terrorist attacked the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa, killing 4.