Fundraising ideas

txhorns

I’m the president of my local baseball little league.  When I took over basically everything had gone to complete shit for the league.  Fields were almost unplayable and the finances were a disaster.  So far I’ve, along with the help of many others, gotten the fields into playable shape although there is still a long way to go.  I’m basically at a point to where simply going out to work on the fields no longer does much improvement but now we need money to fix things.

So I’m looking for ideas on fundraisers for the league.  Currently my plan is to sell advertising to local businesses to go on our outfield walls.  I’m also looking at buying a cooler and filling it full of stuff like gift cards to Academy and Spec’s to the raffle off.  While these seem fine I’m worried they won’t bring in all that much money.  Does anyone know of any good ideas that maybe their kid’s league has done?  We don’t really have any money to pay for things up front so anything we do has to take that into consideration.  Thanks for any help.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, That Guy said:

They don’t need kickass jerseys, just to not cut up their arms when a ball rolls over by the fence.  Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of good candidates for this though.

Totally depends on your base, but the fundraiser I prefer and which have done best around me have been the honest... hey we need some funds for x,y,z... and doing a direct 100% money donation fundraiser.  Some people have company match programs where they work where their company will match up to X amount the employee donates, etc, others just can give more than others. It's real easy and people seem ok with it.  It there are specifics being done - safer fences, etc businesses are much more likely to step up as well.

I was in the same boat.  I'm the president of our local wrestling club and ran into similar issues.  When our group took it over, we had $400 in the bank and zero uniforms.  Our financial requirements are probably much smaller, but the issues are similar.  One thing that we did was figure out exactly how much we needed and then went to local businesses soliciting donations in exchange for banners at our tournament.  We were able to get half of what we needed through those.  The next thing that we did was host a tournament that more than covered the remainder. 

Next year we are going to be looking for companies to sponsor our tournament.  One area that we have our eyes on martial arts schools and gyms.  We'll look for a certain donation amount in exchange for giving them a table to do on site sign ups. 

We do have other fund raising requirements, but we did get enough to get us through this season.  We're planning on doing some stuff over the off season, like hosting trivia nights and other stuff like that.  Hope it all works out for you.

1. Don't expect an instant fix (not that you actually are), look long term - think about both the urgent & the 5 years out stuff.

2. Plant the seeds for a successful handoff once your kid is done with the program. One or 2 new board members per year is a good way to get fresh energy, fresh ideas & not relying on the same people year after year.

3. Long range maintenance of facilities like banners & advertising is a good idea... as in your public radio station would rather have 500 people all guaranteeing $ 10 / month for 3 years vs. 250 people kicking $ 20 one time.

4. Use your 501©3 to the best capabilities & maybe do that raffle with a # 1, 2 & 3 place win.

5. Do y'all have a snack bar? Look over the sundries being sold. Adjust if needed. Bump prices by .25 per hot dog, limit condiment freebies per transaction.
- No snack bar? Get 1 or 2 food trucks to show up & charge $ 100 per full day onsite, etc.

6. Look to other area baseball leagues & see what the successful ones are doing. Have conversations with them about how they operate, what has worked, what failed, what was ...meh... & try to duplicate success.

7. Lastly, try to stop asking for a show of hands on "who can do ____ , we need someone to _____ ..." instead, approach ONE person or set of mom & dad, & ask them directly to do _____ task. Even if it is "Hey, can you bring 3 coolers of bottled water next Saturday as a donation?" & then another 3 parents "Would you sell iced bottles of water for a 1½ hour run on ___ weekend?"
"Hey, could you rake the infield clay between games & line the baselines / batters box between this one game?", etc.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Do you have a local minor-league or major-league baseball team nearby? There might be someone in their organization that can help you. Years ago the Oak Hill baseball fields got heavily damaged by flooding of the creek behind them and the Round Rock Express brought their landscape people and equipment out and completely redid every field that was damaged.

I’m pretty sure someone in our league had friends in high places there. Erin Hogan‘s kid used to play there and he’s pretty friendly with the Ryan family. Not sure if that was the connection or not. 

An email to the right person might get some sympathy by a local team wanting to give back to their sport.

As far as fence banners go, we did that for my sons high school team. Not baseball, different sport. The going rate was $200 per season for a sign on one side of the fence or $400 for a sign on both sides of the fence. We sold quite a few and felt like we had under charged.  It also included a nice post on Instagram from the booster club thanking that business for their support and a  picture of the sign.

BBQ cook offs can generate a little cash too. 

Edited by Your Mom