Dallas Observer's Top 100 Restaurants in DFW in 2022

C-Man

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That is a very interesting list.  I have some work to do -- of that list only Jimmy's and Partenope are part of my routine jam.  Thanks for the new thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That is a very interesting list.  I have some work to do -- of that list only Jimmy's and Partenope are part of my routine jam.  Thanks for the new thread.

I feel like this has a lot more restaurants out of my wheelhouse -- Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, African, etc -- than on most lists. I wish I could find a 1-100 list without the write-up for each. There are some interesting omissions. Like I don't believe Monarch is in there.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I feel like this has a lot more restaurants out of my wheelhouse -- Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, African, etc -- than on most lists. I wish I could find a 1-100 list without the write-up for each. There are some interesting omissions. Like I don't believe Monarch is in there.

The writers probably couldn’t get into Monarch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:55 PM, C-Man said:

What a hipster douchebag list. The Dallas Observer sucks such sweaty balls. How do you fuck up a list with 100 restaurants? I mean, you have 100 restaurants and miss on arguably the #1? If it were a top 10 or something, fine you just missed it, but this is 100 fucking restaurants and you miss that?

No Al Biernat's either. It's not the best place ever or anything, but if you're including steak houses (which you do as we're in Dallas by god Texas), it's always in the conversation for #1. And there's no question it's top 100 in town.

On 12/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, conVINCEd said:

The writers probably couldn’t get into Monarch.

They probably couldn't afford it.

Not sure a better thread for it but I'll put in a plug for a place that absolutely should be on the list.  We went to RM 12:20 Bistro in Lake Highlands last night and had a fantastic meal (Crab Cakes, Oysters, Steak Frites and a Braised Pork Shank Bordelaise which was the star.  Good reasonably priced wine as well.   Wife has been wanting to try this place for a while but I've been boycotting since it took over what used to be my go to neighborhood cajun spot (Offshores Next Door, RIP).  But we'll definitely go back.   Maybe part of it was because I had absolutely zero expectations and it was kind of a surprise night out with grandparents taking kids last minute, but it was one of the better meals I've had in Dallas in a while.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Not sure a better thread for it but I'll put in a plug for a place that absolutely should be on the list.  We went to RM 12:20 Bistro in Lake Highlands last night and had a fantastic meal (Crab Cakes, Oysters, Steak Frites and a Braised Pork Shank Bordelaise which was the star.  Good reasonably priced wine as well.   Wife has been wanting to try this place for a while but I've been boycotting since it took over what used to be my go to neighborhood cajun spot (Offshores Next Door, RIP).  But we'll definitely go back.   Maybe part of it was because I had absolutely zero expectations and it was kind of a surprise night out with grandparents taking kids last minute, but it was one of the better meals I've had in Dallas in a while.

Their brunch is excellent as well.  

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dallas Observer food critic budget is not generous.  it's much better at the DMN.  Leslie Brenner's budget when she was at the DMN was obscene.

Isn’t one of the Observer food critics like 20 years old or some shit? I don’t care how well heeled or traveled or experienced or whatever you are, if you’re that young, you probably don’t have enough time on this earth to be critiquing restaurants for a living.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:02 PM, Skipper said:

The south corners of that intersection has some stellar stuff in general. Kinda strange how random strip centers that give off nail salon and donut store vibes have such a collection. 

On 12/31/2021 at 1:17 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

As also were many of her takes on Dallas food.  I was not a fan of her reviews.  Is she still working as a restaurant consultant in Dallas?

last i heard yes, but it's not going well because, well, Leslie is gonna Leslie.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:47 PM, Landomatic said:

Isn’t one of the Observer food critics like 20 years old or some shit? I don’t care how well heeled or traveled or experienced or whatever you are, if you’re that young, you probably don’t have enough time on this earth to be critiquing restaurants for a living.

not sure who the new head food critic is.  Reinhart left the Observer for DMN.  haven't seen who replaced him.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:02 PM, Skipper said:

we love that place.  haven't been in a while, sadly.  glad it survived COVID.  we need to go back soon.

i'm ashamed to admit that i've never been to Resident Taqueria across the street, but it's supposed to be great.  i need to change that this weekend.

http://www.residenttaqueria.com/

On 1/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, bluto said:

How is cedar & vine as well as Shadys? They’re next to resident. 

Cedar & Vine has been solid for brunch and lunch both times I've been.  Have not made it to dinner.  It's weird because with young kids we get so few nights out (particularly after not doing much during peak Covid in '20) we typically hit one of the bigger names and forget about the very solid spots in our area.  Need to make it a point to hit these up more often this year.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, bluto said:

How is cedar & vine as well as Shadys? They’re next to resident. 

Shady’s is a damn good burger.  You could probably do better, but if my choice is to go around the corner for an 8 or drive 20 minutes for a 9, around the corner wins out most of the time.

• 1 month later...

Went to Bilad Bakery in Richardson (Centennial and Greenville) based on this list.  Got the Beef Shawarma sandwich (on Iraqi Bread) (samoon?).  Asked for spicy.  I definitely will be back.  Brought a bag of the bread, threw it in the freezer and bake it back up with hummus/cheese/deli. 

The hostess was really friendly and hopefully she'll be there when I go back to give me some suggestions on the menu.  Certainly will try the chicken shawarma next and then after that who knows. 

A bit out of my way now that I work from home but not too far out of the way.

I basically can walk to that Audelia/Walnut Hill intersection with RM Bistro, Shady's, Resident, Cedar & Vine.  (I've still got a pretty big chip on my shoulder about Lake Highlands dining, and I still think we have a ways to go.  Resident is the only one I'm really proud of.  I think RM Bistro is consistent, but I do think it benefits from a bit of lowered expectations charm.  Cedar and Vine has a nice brunch but it's been a tad below solid during the pandemic. Vector and Taco Joint - okay, if that's what you're in the mood for.  That new Chinese place has the most Lake Highlandsy menu for a chinese place I've ever seen. 

Shady's is a good take out place but just too many fucking kids there to be a pleasant in-house experience. 

I had a great bubble tea at that tea place on the east side over by the subway and ice cream place.  I didn't realize how bad bubble tea is for you so will probably go back to see if they have anything healthy - that seems like such a non-Lake Highlands idea that I feel like I have to give them some $$$ just for having the cajones.

• Hook 'Em 1