Justice Dept. signals it may allow safe injection sites

Post Oak

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It's been done in other countries with great success, which means we will fuck it up.

Like in SF?

From the piece

“I am also not completely opposed to supervised drug consumption sites. In my new book, San Fransicko, I praise Portugal, which has decriminalized drug use, and the Netherlands, where there are 28 drug consumption rooms. (In some, addicts are even given heroin.)

But both of those countries condemn hard drug use and intervene when addicts break laws, including laws against public drug use and public camping. “There’s a clear sign of disapproval in our society to the use of drugs,” the head of Portugal’s drug program, João Goulão, told me. 

They are also not opposed to coercion. In Portugal, someone caught using heroin in public is arrested, brought to the police station, and either prosecuted for drug dealing or forced to appear before something called a Commission for the Dissuasion of Addiction comprised of a combination of social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and family members who confront addicts in a formal intervention.  

Something very different is happening in San Francisco. The city is carrying out a bizarre medical experiment whereby addicts are given everything they need to maintain their addiction—cash, hot meals, shelter—in exchange for . . . almost nothing. Voters have found themselves in the strange position of paying for fentanyl, meth and crack use on public property.”

It’s mind blowing to me that SF spends over a $1B a year maintaining and supporting their zombie addict community. 

Edited by Immaculate Vibes
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Like in SF?

From the piece

“I am also not completely opposed to supervised drug consumption sites. In my new book, San Fransicko, I praise Portugal, which has decriminalized drug use, and the Netherlands, where there are 28 drug consumption rooms. (In some, addicts are even given heroin.)

But both of those countries condemn hard drug use and intervene when addicts break laws, including laws against public drug use and public camping. “There’s a clear sign of disapproval in our society to the use of drugs,” the head of Portugal’s drug program, João Goulão, told me. 

They are also not opposed to coercion. In Portugal, someone caught using heroin in public is arrested, brought to the police station, and either prosecuted for drug dealing or forced to appear before something called a Commission for the Dissuasion of Addiction comprised of a combination of social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and family members who confront addicts in a formal intervention.  

Something very different is happening in San Francisco. The city is carrying out a bizarre medical experiment whereby addicts are given everything they need to maintain their addiction—cash, hot meals, shelter—in exchange for . . . almost nothing. Voters have found themselves in the strange position of paying for fentanyl, meth and crack use on public property.”

It’s mind blowing to me that SF spends over a $1B a year maintaining and supporting their zombie addict community. 

do you live there? if not, why do you care?

35 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Like in SF?

From the piece

There are no safe injections sites in SF. Not even a nice try. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

There are no safe injections sites in SF. Not even a nice try. 

I believe the only one is in NYC. NPR ran a segment on it recently, it's the first one to actually open. Others in different cities were attempted but blocked by the Feds.

GRHorn as usual is full of shut.