Echo weedeater problem

My Echo SRM 225 won’t stay going or loses power under a load. I have changed air and fuel filters and it has always been run on Tru-fuel.  Today, it did fine for a couple of hours. Then trouble trimming. Sometimes it dies when I try to accelerate to full speed.

would a carberator cleaner help? It is about six years old, kept garaged, and used about once a month. 

I need to do some heavy trimming tomorrow.

Suck / squeeze / bang / blow

Check the fuel line for any tiny splits or dry rot cracks.

Make sure the fuel line is seated properly.

Get a q-tip & apply some cleaner to it, then wipe down the carb, butterfly, throats, etc. Shock & awe yourself over the schmutz that will come clean.

Maybe even remove the carb & get a bit deeper; be sure to not damage the gasket (& check that out for any damage, nicks, splits, dry rot, etc).

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Check the spark arrestor screen to see if clogged. Takes only couple minutes to remove and you can run without screen to check / and or clean (toothbrush and carb cleaner) or replace.

Yup.  Many years ago, I lived in a "King of the HIll" situation here in San Diego.  4 of us in the cul-de-sac would have beers most afternoons.  I was in commercial construction lending, one guy was a high-end carpenter, one guy a union electrician, and one guy, Cyrus,  owned a  lawn service business.  Cy was an arkie grad.  Anyway, I've watched Cy clean the exhaust ports of his echo equipment more times than I can count.  It was a regular maintenance thing for him.  I use mine quite a bit, and I've owned it for years, and I've never had to do it, but his stuff was running several hours a day. 

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Suck / squeeze / bang / blow

Check the fuel line for any tiny splits or dry rot cracks.

Make sure the fuel line is seated properly.

The fuel line is probably the issue based on age and always using Tru Fuel.  My first one made it six years before needing a new fuel line and 4 more years before it ended up with low compression and I scrapped it for a new one.  I figured $16/year and my mechanically minded 12 year old getting to dismantle an engine was money well spent. 

• Like 1