Texas voters and political candidates aren’t on the same page

Satchel

It’s clear Texas candidates understand they must demagogue cultural issues in order to win:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02/16/texas-elections-voters/

Texans have opinions about the people on the ballot and the hot-button issues. It’s just that many of the topics those candidates want to talk about are not what voters say is most important

•  
  • Most Texans (62%) oppose efforts to remove books from school libraries. They are split over whether parents have enough influence over what their children are taught. Fifty percent oppose limiting use of teaching materials that “emphasize racism in the history of the United States.”
  • A 53% majority opposes automatically banning all abortions in Texas if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, and 43% would make current abortion law in Texas less strict. But 23% would leave current law — which outlaws the procedure after a fetal pulse is detected, usually at about six weeks into a pregnancy — in place. And another 23% would make the law stricter.
  • Two-thirds of Texas voters said the country is on the wrong track. Four years ago, the last time the state’s top offices were on the ballot, only 50% said the country was on the wrong track. There is a Democrat in the White House now; it was a Republican four years ago. And four years before that, when Barack Obama was president, a February 2014 University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll found 63% of Texans thought the country was on the wrong track.
  • More than half expect to see more political violence in the U.S. in the future (54%). Most (53%) think Biden “legitimately won the 2020 presidential election,” but the winners were more likely to believe that than the losers: 91% of Democrats called it legit, while 67% of Republicans don’t think he won legitimately.
  • Overall, 51% said the protesters in the U.S. Capitol in January 2021 “were attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 election.” That group included 82% of Democrats and 25% of Republicans; 8% of Democrats disagreed, along with 62% of Republicans.
  • Fifty-five percent of Texas voters said democracy in the U.S. is working somewhat, very or extremely poorly; 36% said it’s working well. Just under half said democracy in Texas is working well, but 41% said it’s working poorly.

8 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Not too stupid to know things aren't headed in the right direction, but just stupid enough to keep voting the same clowns in time after time.    What is the definition of madness again?

I don't know if you and I are in the same district anymore since the lines have changed, but I received a very nice four color process campaign card in the mailbox last week. Hit all the buzzwords: immigration, abortion, endorsed by Trump, and one side a photograph of two white men walking together and smiling while wearing the usual casual weekend cowboy clothes. I assume(d) that one of them is Michael McCaul, but I don't know because no where on the card did it identify him (with a tag or another head shot).

I get that he was a rep for another district so is somewhat known to those whom he served previously, but it just cracked me up. These white people in the GOP, they all look alike!

And yet the majority of the Texas electorate will vote Republican anyway. And at the end of the day, that’s what matters. We elect representatives statewide. We don’t get to turn around and say they’re not representative of the state. Texas is what its record says it is: Mississippi with oil money and Mexican food.

21 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Not too stupid to know things aren't headed in the right direction, but just stupid enough to keep voting the same clowns in time after time.    What is the definition of madness again?

Because headed in the wrong direction is still better than headed in the wrong direction even faster.  These are people that believe “leftists” deal in trafficking of children to drink their blood, and that the evidence is millions of missing children each year that go uncovered by the lefty media. 

• Rage+1 1