Elite private schools and college admissions

Sawbonz

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It sounds like he’s In the right place and the debt / money factor is in his favor. He still a kid, let him figure things out and live 

me / ee - I was a chem e major and we had a petro e program. Of the people I graduated with, i never saw near the success with ee’s as I did chem / petro e’s, and it’s not even close. The most successful ee I knew was a good friend and she went to work for a large company. She was young, columbian, drop dead gorgeous and damn smart: she got high end fake tits within 6 months of hiring on. Locked down a sr vp at her company and became a stay at home mom: maid, nanny, they travel the world. 

image.gif.7a959e4954d17186ccaa723707678f93.gif

Make social media work for you us.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sounds like you are already. 

What does the kid say about your ideas?

He says "thank you for everything you've done for me."  He literally tried to start college without owning a computer.  Some caring person fixed that. 

Also I would not assume that because he is doing well in mechanical engineering that he would do well in EE or CS,

EE is very abstract and theoretical and the aptitudes can be somewhat different. Kid sounds like he has some inborn mechanical aptitude and is enjoying and succeeding at the theoretical underpinnings. That may not hold true for another engineering degree. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I don't know what python is going to do for him but, along the lines of CS or EE, he may to need to code sooner or later.  He's going to sit around for 30 days over the holiday break, and I thought this might be a nice line to add to his resume "Google Professional Certificate - Python."  I guess I could tell him to watch Breaking Bad reruns or play Assassin's Creed but I thought I would challenge him and throw him some cash for a little side gig.

I majored in business and went to law school.  I know dick about engineering or computer science other than you'll probably like the women in the college of education or nursing better than you'll like the women in the cs building.  Journalism and Social Work can pay off too.

I also know dick about welding other than there seems to be a lot of it in small towns, and his high school shop teacher thought he was good at it.  I don't think there's anything wrong with being a welder but I think this kid has some horsepower to burn.

honestly i have no clue what python is, Id suggest learning as much excel as possible. It’ll empress any employer

has he thought about law school ? Through friends and family, i know 5 kids at ut in the mechanical e program, 4 of the 5 want to go straight to law school 

Thanks to all of you for the input.  I'm a little out of my element on this one and appreciate the thoughts and sounding board.  

I need this kid to hurry up and be a success so I can worry about other things like, how to gamble on the sugar bowl in such a way that I can pay for my tickets to the national championship game.

Present thought is to buy tickets now, and then bet against Texas, maybe the moneyline.  Texas loses, I get a stack of cash and can sell my tickets to some poor Alabama/Michigan fan for a loss.  Texas wins, I get a stack of cash and when ticket prices spike I'm already locked in.  Haven't really worked out the numbers yet but I'm a shitty gambler and I'm pretty sure that me betting against Texas guarantees a Texas win. 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

honestly i have no clue what python is, Id suggest learning as much excel as possible. It’ll empress any employer

has he thought about law school ? Through friends and family, i know 5 kids at ut in the mechanical e program, 4 of the 5 want to go straight to law school 

It's a good idea.  I suspect IP work isn't going away.

Python is a programming language.  My internet research leads me to conclude it is a more common language and decent starting place.

As to which flavor of engineering he ultimately decides on, keep in mind he has completed one semester of college. Its been awhile since my days on campus but the first semester is probably just generic Calc, Physics, one introductory ME class and a couple of bullshit pre-recs like technical writing. Once he gets a few ME specific classes under his belt, as well as spending time around other engineering majors, he will likely have a better idea of what path he wants to follow. Most of what you study in year 1 is applicable to engineering in general. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

A good welding shop that can get qualified with the right customers, can do $10mil a year 

Maybe gross but not netting that amount unless it’s a speciality O&G pipeline shop… My Ag BIL has a fabrication and welding shop where we’re he does stuff on most of the major construction projects in his area and he isn’t clearing that much… I think his welders get in the 22-27$/hour

• Hook 'Em 1