Sid Meier’s Civilization

Celery Man

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, I've never played beyond III. Should I got to IV, V, or all the way to VI?

What say the surl?

I wouldn't start with 6. It's too different. The learning curve from 3 to 5 is probably steep as well (I haven't played 3 in forever) but 5 is such a vast improvement in so many ways. 4 is a great game. Nothing wrong with just starting there - it's basically like 3 just improved across the board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Plenty of people pick the game up that have never played, so I wouldn’t be worried about learning curve.  I remember enjoying 4 the most out of all of them, and would probably say that one if you’re only going to play one. Have they released an updated graphics version of 4?

So, I've never played beyond III. Should I got to IV, V, or all the way to VI?
What say the surl?
I loved 4, especially with some of the custom mods people made like A New Dawn and another mod for that same mod Rise of Mankind. I may have that backwards maybe RoM was the mod and AND was the mod mod.

5 was very enjoyable after the final expansion pack.

I've enjoyed 6 a lot, I think I enjoy it more than 5 but prefer the art direction of 5. Good news, there is a mod by an artist that worked on civ 5 that changes the graphics of 6 to match those of 5.

One thing that stood out to me was up through civ 4 you could really do these massive empires on massive maps.

I think in 5 city spam started to get curtailed some and you would be a bit more strategic in fitting your cities into available space.

Also I stopped playing on maps larger than Standard in 5 and 6 because the game was so resource intensive.

You're fine to jump into the series whenever each is an independent game, it's not a sequel system. They're only numbered to keep them apart. They need to remake the game every so often to take advantage of new tech and graphics, or try out or expand on existing systems.

I love all the Civ games, but I think Civ 6 is a decent "beginners Civ" since it's dumbed down a bit from previous ones like Civ 4 and 5. They also went with a more cell-shaded look for Civ 6, as opposed to more realism of the past so you don't need a beefy pc for big maps. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

same one I am on. I handle 6 no problem. I play with Scythia and just go heavy heavy military build. Once you research horseback, all horse back units become two for one. I conquer the first two people I can and go heavy into building to get that science back up and by that point I have around 6-9 cities. Cake walk once you conquer that second one.

13 minutes ago, MisterP said:

same one I am on. I handle 6 no problem. I play with Scythia and just go heavy heavy military build. Once you research horseback, all horse back units become two for one. I conquer the first two people I can and go heavy into building to get that science back up and by that point I have around 6-9 cities. Cake walk once you conquer that second one.

your avatar seems nice

https://www.tiktok.com/@georginamazzeo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a screenshot or anything but I just won a Rome religious victory and I was able to make a capital that had Chichen Itza hit 11 rainforest tiles and another city with a Petra that hit I think it was 10 mines.

I normally never build Chichen Itza because I usually chop all rainforest but I happen to try the rainforest pantheon because it was going to give me a great early game holy site, so I left all the rainforest I would normally chop.

Probably nobody cares but I do love it when you can pull off a ridiculous yield wonder.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1