Sid Meier’s Civilization

Celery Man

• 1 month later...

Cross posting from Switch thread:

Anyone have Civilization for the Switch?  We have an old version, Revolutions, for the PS3 my 9 year old son loves to play.  He wants to play head to head or partner with me in the game and we have two switches.  I know v6 is much more complex than the version we currently have.

Thoughts/comments on:

• Suitability for 9 year old.  Can you chose a simple mode that does not overwhelm him with choices as he learns it?
  • Multiplayer cooperative or competitive
  • Overall game play/value. 
  • Price dropped significantly recently.  I think they are getting ready to announce a new version.  For us I think getting 2 copies of the old version might be better.

I have it on switch, and the switch really struggles to play it on any map larger than six player.

The base game only ran ok on switch, the expansions really tax it. Late game the turns can take a long time to roll over.

The console port of the game in general is also pretty buggy. I also bought it on Xbox Series X, and while turns breeze by quickly it starts crashing a lot. It crashes so much that I gave up on the console version entirely and play exclusively on PC now.

Unless it's massively on sale I don't think the console port is worth it.

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 8:00 PM, ztejas said:

I don't think there is one. I was going to start one at one point. 

I played 6 for a bit but like 5 better. 6 just felt too bloated to me. Felt like there was too much shit to keep track of every turn. 

I've been playing Civ 6 now for about a month and I agree. I feel like 5 was the best balance between depth and simplicity of the entire series, a significant upgrade from the complexity of Civ 4. Now it feels like they went overboard again. 

I will say that I love the diplomatic options, which is the branch of gameplay that I think I have the best handle on at this point. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, UT_OB1 said:

Civ 6 is on steam for $6. Do I grab this or wait for a bundle with the expansions?

Grab it. They just dropped a new mini-season pass today, which will add some new civs through next year. If you enjoy it, all the DLCs except the new one will have some great discounts.

I enjoying rolling over opposing musketeers and rifle men with my tanks after jumping to a science advantage. Last game I was awarded a random advanced tech and got access to AT crew before anyone had built muskets. Was able to buy a few with faith and pounded away. 

Rushing horse archers with the civ that gets 2 cavalry units can also be satisfying but I sometimes struggle to pull that off. 

i still haven’t figured out the new government tree and what is most effective 

Edited by UT_OB1