Last Picture Show on TCM

OWLVIS

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jesus what a tearjerker. We’ve never rewatched it.

I saw it with my girlfriend a few weeks ago after having not seen it in a couple decades.  It's definitely dated in a few ways, but still holds up overall.  She was bawling when Emma died, because she lost both parents to cancer within six months of each other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I saw it with my girlfriend a few weeks ago after having not seen it in a couple decades.  It's definitely dated in a few ways, but still holds up overall.  She was bawling when Emma died, because she lost both parents to cancer within six months of each other. 

"I'm an astronaut and a swimmer."

On 4/24/2022 at 4:54 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

My votes:

Best movie for reminding you of the Texas you may have experienced when you were tiny and everything seemed kind of mythological and scary. (Mine was Bracketville circa 60s)  - Last Picture Show

Best movie for reminding you of your big Texas suburban public school - Dazed and Confused

Best movie for capturing how time flies in Texas where you go to school and then need to get a job and get married and raise children who go off to school. - Boyhood

Best all around Texas movie  - Lone Star

The Three Burials of Milquiades Estrada promotes the vastness and power of west Texas, particularly Big Bend and friendships so strong that boundaries mean nothing.

Places in the Heart was our To Kill a Mockingbird about racism.    

Alamo Bay was a sleeper about about the clash between cultures when the Vietnamese refugees were assimilated into the shrimping ports of Texas.  That hit pretty close to home for me in South Texas as I was in high school about that time and our town "adopted" a refugee family.  

Raggedy Man with Sissy Spacek was another set in South Texas, WWII era.  

It's pretty interesting that two of our more powerful and enduring movies were set in the rather desolate West Texas in LPS and Giant.  But two different outlooks.    The documentary on the making of Giant was well done.  

And though it's not a movie, every few years I like to post this link, the culmination of one musician and one photographer and their admiration and love of West Texas. RIP Doug Smith.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I have not - I'll check it out. And not claiming No Country is the best example of that ever - it just is of movies that I've seen. 

I don’t think it’s better than NCFOM. it’s very different. it’s great, though, and so texas. you gotta give it a day in court. 

7 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Raggedy Man with Sissy Spacek was another set in South Texas, WWII era.  

Underappreciated movie.  Early Eric Roberts -- great to contrast his great and subdued performance in this with his over the top stuff in in Pope of Greenwich Village (or Star80).

Texans - Always the same.

MV5BMDZkZjE1YTAtODNkNy00ZjAzLWJlMDQtMzE5

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I don’t think it’s better than NCFOM. it’s very different. it’s great, though, and so texas. you gotta give it a day in court. 

Lone Star is a must see just for Kristofferson. A few really great (and true) stereotypes - especially the attitude of Mexican Americans to illegal immigrants which is always fucking topical in Texas.  The restaurant owner reminds me of my mom and her attitude.

John Sayles nailed it on this and Matewan. (West Virginia coal country)

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob

You idiots. Half the movies yall suggested dont even mention “Texas” in the movie. They are just movies SET in Texas but could be anywhere. Ie Rushmore

Best Texas movies, in no order:

Lone Star

Friday Night Lights

Lonesome Dove (not really a movie)

No Country for Old Men

Hell or High Water

Apollo 10 and a half

Fandango

Last Picture Show

Giant

honerable mention: The Alamo (either one)

Edited by GreenspointTexas