Best rate debit card to use in UK/France?

We don't plan to take much cash over (maybe a grand or so) while traveling to the UK & Frogland, but would rather use a debit card to make daily purchases (ATMs/restaurants/stores/show tickets/etc.). We'll be there for about a month.

Which banks or other financial institutions have the lowest fees & best exchange rates for a debit card that is accepted over there?

Thanks in advance.

I spent some time in London and was able to use my Bank of America debit card free of charge at Barclays ATMs. I’d check your current bank and see what reciprocal relationships they have in Europe because chances are they do.   

Is it completely out of the question to use a credit card? They offer so much better protection in case your card gets stolen (physically or otherwise).

This. I would never consider using a debit card overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, texhorn said:

This. I would never consider using a debit card overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK and FR, not as much... but there are many regions of europe where cash is favored.  Germany and Austria for example is much more cash friendly.

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

UK and FR, not as much... but there are many regions of europe where cash is favored.  Germany and Austria for example is much more cash friendly.

For what it's worth, I also don't use them at home. Debit card is for the ATM and nothing else. 

On 6/2/2018 at 8:20 PM, gsoda3 said:

Is it completely out of the question to use a credit card? They offer so much better protection in case your card gets stolen (physically or otherwise).

Yeah, you need to use a credit card.  Pretty much everywhere in London took Amex when we went. You really shouldn't use your debit card in the US for anything other than getting cash out of atm machines.  It is not a good idea to have your bank accounts directly exposed to fraud.

Edited by kevwun