Quarterly bloodwork

It was mentioned in the Health & Fitness thread, and I've been considering it for awhile.  Time to actually pursue it.

I'm a moderately healthy man in my 40's, and I want to stay that way.  I have a high-deductible insurance plan, so I'll be paying for this out of pocket.  How much does a round cost? Do I need a doctor to set it up?  Or can I just go to a clinic or something?

I have mine done twice a year with my cardiologist. I haven’t ever thought anything about the charge, so it can’t be very much for it. I don’t ‘t know that there has really been a need for that often, but he does pretty extensive tracking of everything and requires it twice a year as well as a full cardio work up every other year.

Schedule a physical and ask for a full blood panel. You’ll do the bloodwork a few days before your appointment so the doctor can go over the results after fondling your balls and fingering your butthole. Schedule the best looking female doctor. Easy peasy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no idea; I have it drawn twice a year.  Once at a regular physical (cost is $25 out of pocket, and that includes a full panel) and my employer has a firm come in once a year and provide a free physical/blood panel.  Both draws are roughly 6 months apart, so I can compare and contrast.

Even better than quest is this site https://www.walkinlab.com . Using it for a couple yrs, just order your tests/pkgs then select a time slot with quest or the other lab and all done. Everything priced out, nothing hidden. I pay out of pocket with HD insurance plan. Take em to my annual physical so doc can go over them for free. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, bluto said:

Even better than quest is this site https://www.walkinlab.com . Using it for a couple yrs, just order your tests/pkgs then select a time slot with quest or the other lab and all done. Everything priced out, nothing hidden. I pay out of pocket with HD insurance plan. Take em to my annual physical so doc can go over them for free. 

Does your insurance not pay for your annual physical? 

When I started TRT (prescribed by my physician; not a clinic), I was doing quarterly labs and appointments.  I think the labs were running me a bit over $20 each time, save for the one freebie I get for an annual checkup.  Now, I'm in every 5 months.  Price is about the same other than the annual.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:26 PM, HRSchenker said:

Does your insurance not pay for your annual physical? 

It does but I can almost promise it won’t cover the full blood work as it’s a high ded plan. But it’s something I should double check. 

I prefer to go straight to the labs as opposed to doctor ordering them. Had a urinalysis done after an urgent care trip last yr. Cost through walk-in labs site was $60 or so, labquest hit me with a $150 charge since it came from urgent care. Big ole fuck you to the medical system. 

I took the results of one of those full panels from Quest to my doctor one year and he said 3/4 of it was irrevelant crap that he never would have ordered and that you can't really glean any real data about your health from.  The lab at his office is a little more expensive per test, but factoring in the fewer number of tests my doctor actually cared about made it significantly cheaper to just stay in-house.