2022-23 PGA Tour season

Wally Fairway

6 hours ago, Hate said:

He’s an asshole for being a hypocrite. Didn’t he at one point already say he has plenty of money?

Shit changes. No way Monahan can keep this shit together and Rahm knows it. He will be playing in pga events again sooner rather than later and he gets the best of both worlds. Monahan is a fucking idiot and the only person to blame for anyone that goes to liv going forward is that dumb ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Shit changes. No way Monahan can keep this shit together and Rahm knows it. He will be playing in pga events again sooner rather than later and he gets the best of both worlds. Monahan is a fucking idiot and the only person to blame for anyone that goes to liv going forward is that dumb ass. 

I just don't understand what he is supposed to do. Make money appear out of thin air?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

I just don't understand what he is supposed to do. Make money appear out of thin air?

There is a reason he pga agreed to merge or whatever so long as the lawsuits were dismissed with prejudice. The pga would have been killed if it came out in discovery just how much money they were making and what they were doing with it. 

I'm not saying they have PIF money,  but Phil wasn't wrong. He just had to turn heel to shake shit up. 

Just now, pops said:

There is a reason he pga agreed to merge or whatever so long as the lawsuits were dismissed with prejudice. The pga would have been killed if it came out in discovery just how much money they were making and what they were doing with it. 

I'm not saying they have PIF money,  but Phil wasn't wrong. He just had to turn heel to shake shit up. 

If they don't have PIF money then what is the difference? Obviously it's absurd to suggest that Phil or Rahm or really anyone not named Tiger generates the interest needed to pay off an investment of that magnitude. This is a fringe sport. The reason the PGA can't afford to pay them like that is because the PGA doesn't make that kind of money.

43 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Seriously. Everyone just do it. You've already irreparably damaged the sport and given the fans the middle finger. We aren't important and we don't matter. Go get your generational wealth, guy who already has generational wealth.

This this and this. I get trying to set up your kids, I get trying to set up your kids kids, but at some point the hand that feeds aka the sport “you live and die for” has to mean something. I’ve always thought that asking the question “how much is enough?” Is a bad question-there’s no right answer. But damn these guys really get millions for standing around having fake driving contests for ads for Taylormade while making millions per week playing the game itself. No one will ever say they moved to LIV because it’s innovation. Walk up songs-cool but on hole 1 not-18, dj’s no not on a golf tourney, whatever other gimmicks, that’s not the sport fans want. Can it be 10% less country club, sure, play those walk up songs. It’s just sad that people say they love the game but a few more millions is worth tearing it apart. And I’m not a staunch PGA defender, I know they were greedy, I know they should have listened to fans and players, I know commish is an idiot, and I know that too many players listened to CREAM, but damn this is sad. We are losing tiger and now gifted a game with a cloudy ass future. 

10 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

This this and this. I get trying to set up your kids, I get trying to set up your kids kids, but at some point the hand that feeds aka the sport “you live and die for” has to mean something. I’ve always thought that asking the question “how much is enough?” Is a bad question-there’s no right answer. But damn these guys really get millions for standing around having fake driving contests for ads for Taylormade while making millions per week playing the game itself. No one will ever say they moved to LIV because it’s innovation. Walk up songs-cool but on hole 1 not-18, dj’s no not on a golf tourney, whatever other gimmicks, that’s not the sport fans want. Can it be 10% less country club, sure, play those walk up songs. It’s just sad that people say they love the game but a few more millions is worth tearing it apart. And I’m not a staunch PGA defender, I know they were greedy, I know they should have listened to fans and players, I know commish is an idiot, and I know that too many players listened to CREAM, but damn this is sad. We are losing tiger and now gifted a game with a cloudy ass future. 

I look at Dustin Johnson as a case study for LIVs impact to players. Since getting his $100M or whatever, he's basically mailed it in and is going through the motions. Seemingly he doesn't give a fuck how he or "his team" performs in the LIV tourneys. He stopped giving a fuck about Ryder or Majors. He made his retirement money. He'll show up whenever they have tourneys and cash his check. I think this is the case for most of the bigger names who have jumped to LIV. They know no one is watching.

If the PGA dies, I'm still not watching that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:22 AM, crash_davis said:

I look at Dustin Johnson as a case study for LIVs impact to players. Since getting his $100M or whatever, he's basically mailed it in and is going through the motions. Seemingly he doesn't give a fuck how he or "his team" performs in the LIV tourneys. He stopped giving a fuck about Ryder or Majors. He made his retirement money. He'll show up whenever they have tourneys and cash his check. I think this is the case for most of the bigger names who have jumped to LIV. They know no one is watching.

If the PGA dies, I'm still not watching that shit. 

I posted this in the Saudi tour thread, Pat Perez summed up the players sentiment about LIV: “I got paid, I don’t give a damn.”

The only one that seems to genuinely care about it is Bryson. He seems to honestly think LIV is legitimately cool and that people actually care about how he and his team perform, which is completely unsurprising. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, heso said:

I posted this in the Saudi tour thread, Pat Perez summed up the players sentiment about LIV: “I got paid, I don’t give a damn.”

The only one that seems to genuinely care about it is Bryson. He seems to honestly think LIV is legitimately cool and that people actually care about how he and his team perform, which is completely unsurprising. 

yeah but Perez is a makes a great case - he likely earned 10-20x on LIV as he could on the Tour, so why not? He wasn't going to win a major, be in the Ryder Cup. Another good example, and I am waiting to see what happens with him, is James Piot; played at MSU, got hot and won the 2021 US Am, which got him into a couple of majors but he had no standing on any tour; so he says why not. Played the first 2 years, but nothing at all of significance, but he made $1.9 in 2022 and $2.2 million in 2023 (plus whatever he got for signing, rumored to be $2-3 million) but he got cut. So I am interested to see where he goes. He never had PGA Tour standing, so I don't think he was ever banned, but he will have to play a satellite tour and maybe some Monday qualifiers. But hopefully he banked 1/2 that money so he can afford to find a place somewhere.

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

yeah but Perez is a makes a great case - he likely earned 10-20x on LIV as he could on the Tour, so why not? He wasn't going to win a major, be in the Ryder Cup. Another good example, and I am waiting to see what happens with him, is James Piot; played at MSU, got hot and won the 2021 US Am, which got him into a couple of majors but he had no standing on any tour; so he says why not. Played the first 2 years, but nothing at all of significance, but he made $1.9 in 2022 and $2.2 million in 2023 (plus whatever he got for signing, rumored to be $2-3 million) but he got cut. So I am interested to see where he goes. He never had PGA Tour standing, so I don't think he was ever banned, but he will have to play a satellite tour and maybe some Monday qualifiers. But hopefully he banked 1/2 that money so he can afford to find a place somewhere.

I don’t disagree with any of that. And really, with pretty much every guy you can see why they went to LIV. the amounts of money that were being thrown at them just made it make too much sense. None of them were going for competition, or shotgun starts, or team golf. Just money, so I appreciated the guys that just came out and said it, because we could all see it.