Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

On 4/2/2023 at 4:51 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hate Kim and she’s a bitch but I wish we could hire a bitch that can recruit and coach and turn shit around quick. Everything here apparently needs patience and at least 5-10 years to get there.

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And Kim won in year 2. It’s classic Texas making excuses instead of getting results we should 

Rockethorn and BO&W showing up with their normal stupidity when they probably watched a grand total of 2 minutes of women’s basketball is perfectly on brand for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Rockethorn and BO&W are the types that will watch 2 seconds of volleyball and then run to the thread after the season saying “Jerritt Elliott is not our standard and this is standard Texas excuses.”

Im sure Vic will make these two look like morons much like Elliott did last season in volleyball. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Cope however you like but basketball is the easiest sport to turn around fast and get results. 

Schaefer made B2B elite 8s in his first two years and likely would have made at least a 3rd if half his roster wasn’t injured. 

Are you able to do any critical thinking at all?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Schaefer made B2B elite 8s in his first two years and likely would have made at least a 3rd if half his roster wasn’t injured. 

Are you able to do any critical thinking at all?

And this year nothing. I expect him to not make the elite 8 or greater next year either. Imo he doesn’t recruit at an elite enough level you get the next step. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And this year nothing. I expect him to not make the elite 8 or greater next year either. Imo he doesn’t recruit at an elite enough level you get the next step. 

He brought in 3 of the top 15 transfers last year and is bringing in a top 12 recruit this class. When you combine the transfers Vic has added he’s recruiting at an extremely high level. I’m sure he will add another top transfer this year based on the guards Texas is after. 

You should probably just stop talking because you have no clue what you’re talking about. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Rockethorn and BO&W showing up with their normal stupidity when they probably watched a grand total of 2 minutes of women’s basketball is perfectly on brand for them. 

Yes you’re correct I don’t watch women’s basketball. That’s why I said “everything around here” takes a 5-10 year plan to turn shit around. Sorry for popping in and commenting and irritating your vaginal discomfort. I always love the thread police coming in to set everyone straight. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Assuming Texas lands 1 of the guards mentioned by JS, they will be recruiting better in the portal the last 2 cycles than any other team in the country outside of maybe 1 or 2 programs. 

For the love of god stop talking about topics you have no clue about. 

Period Tampon GIF by BuzzFeed

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yes you’re correct I don’t watch women’s basketball. That’s why I said “everything around here” takes a 5-10 year plan to turn shit around. Sorry for popping in and commenting and irritating your vaginal discomfort. I always love the thread police coming in to set everyone straight. 

Period Tampon GIF by BuzzFeed

Yeah, but you were wrong. Vic turned the program around from day 1.  He took over a mediocre program and turned them into a top 8 team in his first 2 seasons. 

Saying this is a 5 to 10 year plan is just fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but you were wrong. Vic turned the program around from day 1.  He took over a mediocre program and turned them into a top 8 team in his first 2 seasons. 

Saying this is a 5 to 10 year plan is just fucking stupid. 

I’m talking about winning a title. So you’re gonna say you think he wins a title in the next 2 years? 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m talking about winning a title. So you’re gonna say you think he wins a title in the next 2 years? 

The “if you don’t win a title” crowd have to be the dumbest group of people on the planet.

There are only a handful of coaches with tiles and that doesn’t mean Vic hasn’t turned things around regardless of no title. But yes, I think there’s a good chance Vic wins a title here and I certainly don’t need some arbitrary timeline to know he’s a really good coach that’s taken a mediocre program and turned them into a top 10 program in 3 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The “if you don’t win a title” crowd have to be the dumbest group of people on the planet.

There are only a handful of coaches with tiles and that doesn’t mean Vic hasn’t turned things around regardless of no title. But yes, I think there’s a good chance Vic wins a title here and I certainly don’t need some arbitrary timeline to know he’s a really good coach that’s taken a mediocre program and turned them into a top 10 program in 3 years. 

200.gif

I wouldn’t say he took over a mediocre program but whatever you wanna make up to prove your point be my guest. Aston went to 3 sweet 16 and an elite 8 in I think her 5 years here. Aston gave Vic a better program than Kim got in lsu. And yes if wanting a fucking title is the crowd I’m in then yea I’ll be labeled dumb but you all day and be fine with it.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I wouldn’t say he took over a mediocre program but whatever you wanna make up to prove your point be my guest. Aston went to 3 sweet 16 and an elite 8 in I think her 5 years here. Aston gave Vic a better program than Kim got in lsu. And yes if wanting a fucking title is the crowd I’m in then yea I’ll be labeled dumb but you all day and be fine with it.

Mulkey is a great coach. There’s probably 3 or 4 other coaches that are better than Vic. Texas is not going to be able to hire Mulkey level coaches in every sport but collectively Texas has the best group of coaches in college athletics. Screaming “I want a national title” doesn’t make you a good fan or offer any realistic insight into where Texas is as a program.

Also, Aston did a decent job at Texas but she did not leave Texas in great shape. Texas was mediocre, at best, when she was fired and the roster was  in shambles.

Those that scream “national title or bust” are the small minds I expect from you and BO&W but it’s perfectly on brand. I’m sure you will be in baseball threads soon enough saying to fire David Pierce because he doesn’t have a title. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mulkey is a great coach. There’s probably 3 or 4 other coaches that are better than Vic. Texas is not going to be able to hire Mulkey level coaches in every sport but collectively Texas has the best group of coaches in college athletics. Screaming “I want a national title” doesn’t make you a good fan or offer any realistic insight into where Texas is as a program.

Also, Aston did a decent job at Texas but she did not leave Texas in great shape. Texas was mediocre, at best, when she was fired and the roster was  in shambles.

Those that scream “national title or bust” are the small minds I expect from you and BO&W but it’s perfectly on brand. I’m sure you will be in baseball threads soon enough saying to fire David Pierce because he doesn’t have a title. 

It’s hard to be in a room with such a great mind like yours. I must bow out as you’ve just blown me away with your high intellect. It’s idiotic for fans of a school that says “we’re Texas” and claims to be a top job yet we can’t produce national championships in the big 3 in well over a decade. If I was screaming “I want national titles every year or we suck” then yeah that’s dumb, but no one has said that. Claiming you wanna see Texas gore a coach that can turn around a program quickly and win one title isn’t too much to ask. Especially in basketball where it’s not hard to do with the portal. 

20 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Oh God…you’re one of those championship or bust guys aren’t you?

See my point exactly. Ricky spins all comments to create a or bust at the end when no one said that. Saying you’d like to see your school win a fucking championship is the goal. It’s not won every year or we suck but that’s the narrative that Ricky has gone with. Maybe some midol for some of you chicks might help.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s hard to be in a room with such a great mind like yours. I must bow out as you’ve just blown me away with your high intellect. It’s idiotic for fans of a school that says “we’re Texas” and claims to be a top job yet we can’t produce national championships in the big 3 in well over a decade. If I was screaming “I want national titles every year or we suck” then yeah that’s dumb, but no one has said that. Claiming you wanna see Texas gore a coach that can turn around a program quickly and win one title isn’t too much to ask. Especially in basketball where it’s not hard to do with the portal. 

You do know turning around a program quickly can happen without winning a national title right? Mulkey is maybe the 2nd or 3rd best coach in women’s college basketball history. She is an outlier when it comes to winning basketball titles that quickly.

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

See my point exactly. Ricky spins all comments to create a or bust at the end when no one said that. Saying you’d like to see your school win a fucking championship is the goal. It’s not won every year or we suck but that’s the narrative that Ricky has gone with. Maybe some midol for some of you chicks might help.

Every fan wants to see their team win a national title. Thanks for your excellent insight. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Every fan wants to see their team win a national title. Thanks for your excellent insight. 

That’s not what you said dumb fuck. That’s what I said, you spun it as the “if you don’t win a title” crowd and no one said that. I said it would be nice to hire someone that can win one quickly. Keep changing and moving the goal posts. Idgaf. Agree to disagree then. JFC. 

Edited by Rockethorn1978

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

That’s not what you said dumb fuck. That’s what I said, you spinner it as the “if you don’t win a title” crowd and no one said that. I said it would be nice to hire someone that can win one quickly. Keep changing and moving the goal posts. Idgaf. Agree to disagree then. JFC. 

You can spin however you want. The two dumbfucks you would expect in this thread insinuating “national title or bust” would be you and BO&W. Here we are in totally shocking news. 

No shit everyone wants to win a national title quickly but again that isn’t mutually exclusive from the idea that Vic still turned the program around. 

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You can spin however you want. The two dumbfucks you would expect in this thread insinuating “national title or bust” would be you and BO&W. Here we are in totally shocking news. 

No shit everyone wants to win a national title quickly but again that isn’t mutually exclusive from the idea that Vic still turned the program around. 

Lmao show me where I said national title or bust. It’s like you didn’t even read my post. I said you keep spinning what I said so you can come in a week later and yell about. Go loosen your bra up you big pussy. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao show me where I said national title or bust. It’s like you didn’t even read my post. I said you keep spinning what I said so you can come in a week later and yell about. Go loosen your bra up you big pussy. 

This isn’t going anywhere.

My initial response was about your 5-10 year comment and why turn arounds can happen even without a national title. Somehow you’re too dumb to realize what I was arguing from the beginning. 

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Did she even play for Oregon this year?

Nope. Had surgery for a torn ligament in her elbow in October. Oregon said she was out of eligibility when they announced that. Twas not true. She took her name out of draft consideration and entered the portal instead for her final year of eligibility 

Probably incredibly rare for two 6’7 players to be in the portal at once (Prince/Betts)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't know where Texas will be ranked in the preseason polls but if they aren't ranked in the top 10 it would be a mistake. 

This was a top 20 team last year and they return almost the entire roster with an extra year of experience. Then they add a top 10 recruit (Booker), get another top 10 recruit back from injury (Moore), and will likely add an excellent guard from the portal based on the options available. 

Dependent on the guard that's added I actually think this is a top 5 team but they won't be ranked that high because of last season. Which is a mistake because of all the injuries. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know where Texas will be ranked in the preseason polls but if they aren't ranked in the top 10 it would be a mistake. 

This was a top 20 team last year and they return almost the entire roster with an extra year of experience. Then they add a top 10 recruit (Booker), get another top 10 recruit back from injury (Moore), and will likely add an excellent guard from the portal based on the options available. 

Dependent on the guard that's added I actually think this is a top 5 team but they won't be ranked that high because of last season. Which is a mistake because of all the injuries. 

Pollsters in WBB are lazy. We’ll be in the 11-15 range I’m betting 

Walz made a comment on a radio show about Van Lilth being able to play closer to home for her final year.  So speculation is now Stanford or Washington. (She's from Washington state)

Better than LSU.  With one of the 2024 regional sites being Portland, that's where Stanford would likely end up. 

Edited by Js1

Also forgot to mention, there's a lot of laughing at Sedona Prince for going to TCU, and Mark Campbell for taking her.  She seems to be like the Cavinders a bit - her social media/TikTok is more important than basketball. 

Kyndall Hunter picked aggy

BUT…

Celeste Taylor is in the portal again

Bring her back, Vic. She can play for a fourth head coach or come back to play for one of the 3 she’s had. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Kyndall Hunter picked aggy

BUT…

Celeste Taylor is in the portal again

Bring her back, Vic. She can play for a fourth head coach or come back to play for one of the 3 she’s had. 

Enjoy College Station Kyndall. We'll look forward to stealing the ball from you in a couple of years.

Surely Celeste has to sit a year?

She's a damn fine player (one of my favorites) but you wonder about players that transfer so much.

Looks like it was Taina Mair.

Heck of a player but looks like she's a solid point guard.

29.4% from 3 -- 6.6 assists per game

Would she fit with Rori?

27. Taina Mair, 5-foot-9, G, sophomore, Boston College

The departures of Gakdeng and Mair are a real blow to the Eagles. Mair was the team's third-leading scorer (11.1 PPG), right behind Gakdeng, and was eighth in the country with 6.6 assists per game on a team that only shot 41.4% from the field. That Mair is a Boston native who originally decided to stay home and then started all 33 games as a freshman makes the decision that much more surprising. She would be an ideal fit for a talented team that just needs to plug in a pass-first point guard.

41 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Looks like it was Taina Mair.

Heck of a player but looks like she's a solid point guard.

29.4% from 3 -- 6.6 assists per game

Would she fit with Rori?

27. Taina Mair, 5-foot-9, G, sophomore, Boston College

The departures of Gakdeng and Mair are a real blow to the Eagles. Mair was the team's third-leading scorer (11.1 PPG), right behind Gakdeng, and was eighth in the country with 6.6 assists per game on a team that only shot 41.4% from the field. That Mair is a Boston native who originally decided to stay home and then started all 33 games as a freshman makes the decision that much more surprising. She would be an ideal fit for a talented team that just needs to plug in a pass-first point guard.

Vic’s job is to make her fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I mentioned Mair before because Coach Wisdom has a prior relationship with her from her time at BC - she recruited Mair. 

We already know Texas needs a second PG and one is not coming in with the 2023 class of recruits.  Honestly, having 2 PGs is just fine- Texas MBB ran multiple sets with Hunter/Carr, Hunter/Morris and Carr/Morris.  Having 2 guards capable of having the ball in their hands is good, allows for more flexibility, gives Rori a break from having to play 40 mpg and keeps us from having to make Shaylee run the offense if Rori needs to rest.  Shaylee needs to just focus on scoring the ball and Rori/Mair can facilitate. 

If Rori gets her shot back as well, either/or could play off the ball in smaller lineups like we did with Carr/Hunter.

I'm glad she visited. She was previously visiting Duke before us.