Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

Just now, Pancho said:

She's a witch but damn:

1. Only person (MBB or WBB) to have natty as player, assistant coach & HC.
2. 600 wins faster than any other coach (MBB or WBB).

gold medal

first WBB coach to win a NC at 2 different schools

Bitch can coach

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hate Kim and she’s a bitch but I wish we could hire a bitch that can recruit and coach and turn shit around quick. Everything here apparently needs patience and at least 5-10 years to get there.

Vic went to the E8 back to back years in his first 2 years. Probably a third if Half the starting 5 wasn’t banged up or on the bench to start the postseason. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Vic went to the E8 back to back years in his first 2 years. Probably a third if Half the starting 5 wasn’t banged up or on the bench to start the postseason. 

Yea we always have excuses that coaches like Kim seem to overcome. Maybe we’re just snake bitten. EE is great. But no reason for Texas to not be able to recruit at a higher level and win. Shit if you can do it in shit stain Waco I don’t see why we can’t. And I love Vic but he’s nowhere close to Kim, Dawn and obviously Geno. I think EE might be his ceiling. Hope to be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hate Kim and she’s a bitch but I wish we could hire a bitch that can recruit and coach and turn shit around quick. Everything here apparently needs patience and at least 5-10 years to get there.

I don’t give a shit about all her accolades. Her silence in BGriner situation was sickening plus her negative recruiting against UT. She can rot in hell with her whore-like wardrobe 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea we always have excuses that coaches like Kim seem to overcome. Maybe we’re just snake bitten. EE is great. But no reason for Texas to not be able to recruit at a higher level and win. Shit if you can do it in shit stain Waco I don’t see why we can’t. And I love Vic but he’s nowhere close to Kim, Dawn and obviously Geno. I think EE might be his ceiling. Hope to be wrong.

Kim has the credentials (titles) to recruit at a high level. Vic needs a championship, but his recruiting is still very good. E8 is not his ceiling, he took Miss freaking State to the NCAA championship game twice. He’s only in year 3

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol what? He’s been to the natty twice. He’ll have better teams in the future than the ones he went to EE twice with while here at Texas. Vic will have his opportunities while he’s here

• Hook 'Em 1

Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 rankings for 2023-24 (espn.com)

Highest ranked Big 12 team

13. Texas Longhorns

Most of the Longhorns' core is back in Austin. It just needs to stay healthy. Getting a full season from 6-1 rising junior Aaliyah Moore, who was lost after nine games to a knee injury, will be key. Shaylee Gonzales is using her extra year, and with a year playing together, the chemistry with All-American candidate point guard Rori Harmon should improve in the backcourt. The addition of top-15 rated incoming freshman wing Madison Booker should also bolster an offense that struggled at the end of the season. DeYona Gaston (6-foot-2) and Taylor Jones (6-foot-4) combined to average over 21 points and 10 rebounds per game.

Baylor is 17 and KSU/KU are in consideration.  Big 12 might be down yet again. 

Vic also said in an article in the Statesman that A-Mo is on track to be ready to start the season in 2023, but Codio is still an unknown and Maul is behind on her rehab.  Hence why we HAVE to use those extra 2 ships to get 2 guards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vic also said in an article in the Statesman that A-Mo is on track to be ready to start the season in 2023, but Codio is still an unknown and Maul is behind on her rehab.  Hence why we HAVE to use those extra 2 ships to get 2 guards. 

I was in awe watching the LSU guards score the basketball. They weren’t afraid to shoot an open mid-range and they made them at a high clip. I don’t know if we’ll ever see that kind of guard play under Rori, but I hope I’m wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I was in awe watching the LSU guards score the basketball. They weren’t afraid to shoot an open mid-range and they made them at a high clip. I don’t know if we’ll ever see that kind of guard play under Rori, but I hope I’m wrong. 

Quinerly is the kind of guard we need. She does not hesitate to shoot those jumpers. Here’s hoping Rori works on her shooting confidence this summer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know there was a chick on LSU that played for 4 different schools. It might have been Reese. The portal is wild

Reese played at Maryland and then LSU. Alexis Morris is who you’re thinking of. Played one year for Kim at Baylor where she got in trouble and booted from the team, then 2 years at Rutgers, a year at aggy and then joined back up with Kim at LSU. 

FL is hemorrhaging players into the portal - kinda feel bad for Matharu, but not really. 

Elena Lovato is following Te-Hina Paopao from Oregon, who just entered the portal.  Maybe we got an assist with Rori's GF being an Oregon player who finished her eligibility. 

All-Pac 12 First Team 2021/2022 and Honorable Mention 2023.

35 games started in 2022-23
42.4% from three
88% FT
15.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.9 apg, 43 steals, 5 blocks

Career (3 seasons)
111/112 games started at Oregon
33.3% from three
80.6% FT
14.6 ppg
4.4 rpg
3.5 apg
121 steals

Edited by Js1

On 4/4/2023 at 7:53 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

I would love to add Paopao tbh. Great name, awesome hair, even better player. 

Blair is Now following and got a follow back

Coach Wisdom is following Lexi Donarski from ISU

• Hook 'Em 2

Actually, right now I'm just glad we aren't hemorrhaging assistant coaches like we did last year.

Don't like all the ACL recovery timelines but we should start the year and go through the recruiting season with far more stability than last year.

At least, I haven't heard of any staffing changes, I don't know if anyone else has.

Jada Walker (5'7 guard)was definitely a name I wanted to look at out of Kentucky, but she joins a 6'3 F from Belmont and a 5'8 PG from Ohio as part of the Baylor transfer class.

Texas may not have been in on her.  It does seem, based on social media, that the guards we may be seriously after are Quinerly, Paopao, Donarski, and perhaps Taina Mair out of Boston College (Lovato and Blair are both following). Rori just started following Arizona transfer Kailyn Gilbert.  Breakdown of the 4 or 5 guards we seem to be linked to:

JJ Quinerly (WV) - sophomore - 5'8 guard - career avg 11.7 ppg, 2.4 apg, 3.4 rpg, 2.2 steals per game, 30.8% 3PFG, 69.9% FT
Te-Hina Paopao (Oregon) - junior - 5'9 guard - career avg 12.5 ppg, 3.6 apg, 3.9 rpg, 1.3 steals per game, 38% 3PFG, 86.8% FT (#11 in the class of 2020)
Lexi Donarski (ISU) - junior - 6'0 guard - career avg 13.2 ppg, 2.1 apg, 3.2 rpg, 0.8 steals per game, 36.4% 3PFG, 85.8% FT (#14 in the class of 2020)
Taina Mair (BC) - freshman - 5'9 guard - career avg. 11.1 ppg, 6.6 apg, 4.7 rpg, 2 steals per game, 29.4% 3PFG, 78.8% FT
Kailyn Gilbert (Arizona) - freshman - 5'8 guard - career avg. 4.9 ppg, 1.1 apg, 1.4 rpg, 0.7 steals per game, 35% 3PFG, 71.8 FT (#33 recruit in the 2022 class)

Paopao is #1 on my list.  Really hoping Rori and Ahlise Hurst's relationship means she is very familiar with Texas already and vice versa. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Everybody wants to see Caitlin Clark play in person.

So much so, in fact, that the University of Iowa had to pause ticket sales for the 2023-24 season, according to Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register, due to overwhelming demand.

No surprises there—Iowa already set a Big Ten women's basketball record with an average attendance of 11,143 fans per home game at the Carver-Hawkeye Arena this past season. Add in the star power of Clark and the team's run to the national championship game this past season, and Iowa is one of the hottest tickets in basketball.

"We're going to do our best so that those fans who want to support women's basketball at Iowa get that opportunity," Iowa's deputy director of athletics Matt Henderson told Leistikow.

Good problem to have!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wow, Van Lith is in the portal. Time to throw a NIL deal together and make her say no. 

She has a do not contact tag. She knows where she’s going. LSU/Miss St are the two to watch 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She has a do not contact tag. She knows where she’s going. LSU/Miss St are the two to watch 

Probably but I noticed Rori and Blair started following Van Lith on IG a couple days ago. So this has likely been known for a couple days. 

Van Lith may know where she’s going but there’s zero chance schools are following the no contact tag. Schools and coaches are definitely still contacting her to make a pitch. 

On 4/2/2023 at 4:59 PM, Js1 said:

Kim has the credentials (titles) to recruit at a high level. Vic needs a championship, but his recruiting is still very good. E8 is not his ceiling, he took Miss freaking State to the NCAA championship game twice. He’s only in year 3

And Kim won in year 2. It’s classic Texas making excuses instead of getting results we should 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And Kim won in year 2. It’s classic Texas making excuses instead of getting results we should 

Who is making excuses? The injuries? Those are quantifiable. Kim has the rings going back to 2005 to back up her recruiting and transfer portal game. Not a single person will refute that