Name a time that a TV show made you cry

shadow_operative

There was an episode of the Six Million Dollar Man entitled The Last Kamikaze.  The episode aired on January 19, 1975, and nine-year-old Augustus was spellbound.  

A plane with a nuke aboard goes down on a deserted island somewhere, and Steve Austin has to go and get it, bring it home.  Level of difficulty:  There's a Japanese soldier on the island who is still fighting the war for Japan, as he doesn't know the war ended decades ago.  Over that glorious hour of mid-70's television drama, Steve battles it out with the soldier, successfully overcoming his enemy and securing the lost nuclear device. 

Instead of being taken as prisoner of war, the situation is explained to Nip and I think they may have brought his family to the island, I'm not sure, but in the final scene, the proud soldier hangs his head and cries, displaying both humility and dignity, along with gratitude.  

This was the first time Augustus cried as a result of a tv drama, except for the Peanuts special in which Snoopy is leaving to return to Daisy Hill Puppy Farm, and all the gang are crying their eyes out as they giving him a going away party, in which each of the many gifts that he unwraps is a bone.  That was some Shakespeare worthy Peanuts Gang adventure, and my little sister and I balled like, well, a couple of grammar school children.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1