2023 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

We almost had 3 Russians and 1 child of Russians in Germany, but then the best Russian choked on a Jamón Ibérico.

IMG_3865.thumb.jpeg.a3073296dc90ec05b82d2caff04cafbd.jpeg

PS- I know what flag Bublik plays under, but he’s a born/raised/still living in Russia 🇷🇺 Russian, which is more than can be said for Medvedev*.

*Lives & trains in Monte Carlo.

Edited by Napoleon

FYI…

Former world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki announces comeback

• D'Arcy Maine, ESPN.com
Jun 29, 2023, 09:14 AM ET

Three years after retiring from professional tennis, former world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki announced she would be returning to the sport in a first-person essay for Vogue on Thursday.

Wozniacki, 32, said she begin hitting again after her second child was born in October, and it made her realize how much she missed the sport.

"It's hard to say why, or what changed, but when my dad [and longtime coach, Piotr] saw me practice that day, and said, 'It looks like you're enjoying it more' -- that was exactly how I felt: I was relaxed and having fun, and somehow that let me see everything more clearly," Wozniacki said.

[more] https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/37933219/former-no-1-caroline-wozniacki-returning-3-year-retirement

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

At 27, Chris Eubanks wins his first ATP title I’ve the Frenchie Manarino in Mallorca. He just made it into the Top 100 for the first time earlier this year and now is inside the Tp 50.

At 29-ish, Madison Keys won her second Eastbourne tournament (first in 2014) and something like her 7th title overall by defeating Daria Kasatkina in 2 sets. Keys tried to collapse after leading 4-1 in the second set before losing 5 of the next 6 games to allow Daria to serve for the set  

Daria looked rather attractive today. Maybe a slimmer face with her jewelry and dark hair just had me thinking that she was looking lovely, as they would say in Eastbourne.

Tommy Paul 🇺🇸 suffered a bit of an injury and ultimately lost to Francisco Cerundolo 🇦🇷. Both players were going for their second career title, but the Argie became the first player from Argentina to win a grass court tournament since 1995. 

And any time an Argentine can win a title in England,  it is a very big thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the Tennis Channel last week and then again this morning and there is a person whose name is ANDREA PETKOVIC that Austin Powers would have beaten senseless trying to pull of her wig while shouting “She’s a man, man!”

Bur looked up this person’s bio and they seem to have been a female from the start of their Wikipedia bio.

From their size, to their face, to their awkward movements, nothing about this person leads me to believe that this person has always been a female, but other tennis people seem to know her. 

oh, Jensen Brooksby was on the show with her Saturday or Sunday and his Baylor Bear ass dis NOT appear to be that comfortable with the Andrea person being there as well.