2023 Wimbledon Championships

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What year do you think this is?

A seeded player will always play back to back unseeded players in the first two rounds, but I can't think of two more difficult unseeded players that another top 5 seed has had to play in the opening rounds. Also, Murray might actually be the betting favorite against Tsistsipas. We'll see, but I bet its close.

23 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

A seeded player will always play back to back unseeded players in the first two rounds, but I can't think of two more difficult unseeded players that another top 5 seed has had to play in the opening rounds. Also, Murray might actually be the betting favorite against Tsistsipas. We'll see, but I bet its close.

Thiem should not push the 3 setter to the 2 hour mark. He absolutely has to be a wild card as a former Grand Slam winner. (And that was the most pitiful grand slam final that I have ever seen.)

Murray should at least not roll over, but I doubt that he takes a set off of Tsitsipas, and Tsitsipas absolutely sucks on grass. Stefano plays like an unseeded player on grass and the sooner he’s gone, the better, but I don’t think that he has anything to worry about. But I JoLee that Murray beats him. 

TWO THINGS:

1) Kyrgios pulled out due to continued injury. 
2) Wimbledon starts in just under 4 hours.

I saw something that I thought said “10am” for a start and thought:

”Well that’s fucking early, but okay. 10am is 4am Central Time.”

I guess that I read that wrong or it wasn’t Central Time. 

Anyway, Pegula rolled over cute little Lauren Davis in the first set. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Davis looks like she could crush coconuts with those legs  

Cute little squat bot*!

At a legitimate 5’9”, no socks, no shoes, no flip-flops, I have never considered fudging on my height  sure, I would have preferred to be 6’, but without HGH, that was never going to happen. But…

I have always wondered about the actual heights of others  Danny Devito is about 4’3”, but lists himself at 5’0”. Tom Cruise is not his listed 5’9”, and Peter Dinklage is nowhere close to his listed 4’5”, and…

Lauren Davis isn’t even her listed height of 5’2” with her tennis shoes on and 3 pairs of socks. I have thought that she is 5’0” for the past few years, but today I got the feeling that she’s closer to 4’10” that’s to 5’0” after I saw a ball boy tower over her like a father over his 3rd grader.

I think that she would be an even bigger inspiration (pun intended) if she would reveal her true height.

NOVAK vs Random Argie (CACHIN)

If Novak lost in the first round, especially to an Argentine, well this 4th of July eve would be just glorious!

That said, I doubt that Novak loses more than 7 games. 🤬

-Nap

*should be “squat bod”, but the guys in my suite freshman year adapted it for a little squatty girl on another floor and so it is written in the Book Of Life.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Davis looks like she could crush coconuts with those legs  

Cute little squat bot*!

At a legitimate 5’9”, no socks, no shoes, no flip-flops, I have never considered fudging on my height  sure, I would have preferred to be 6’, but without HGH, that was never going to happen. But…

I have always wondered about the actual heights of others  Danny Devito is about 4’3”, but lists himself at 5’0”. Tom Cruise is not his listed 5’9”, and Peter Dinklage is nowhere close to his listed 4’5”, and…

Lauren Davis isn’t even her listed height of 5’2” with her tennis shoes on and 3 pairs of socks. I have thought that she is 5’0” for the past few years, but today I got the feeling that she’s closer to 4’10” than to 5’0” after I saw a ball boy tower over her like a father over his 3rd grader.

I think that she would be an even bigger inspiration (pun intended) if she would reveal her true height.

NOVAK vs Random Argie (CACHIN)

If Novak lost in the first round, especially to an Argentine, well this 4th of July eve would be just glorious!

That said, I doubt that Novak loses more than 7 games. 🤬

-Nap

*should be “squat bod”, but the guys in my suite freshman year adapted it for a little squatty girl on another floor and so it is written in the Book Of Life.

Edited by Napoleon

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

Speaking of, espn thinks everyone wants to watch Venus

Peyton lost to Vondrousova

ESPN also thought that the tennis fans in the USA would prefer to watch the Russian Rublev vs an unknown Aussie most of the time over the All-American matchup of Jessica Pegula and Lauren Davis. 

Perhaps they knew that they would be showing the entire Venus vs Avitolina match and didn’t want to saturate their channel with too much women’s tennis. 

And my guess is that of the people home and watching tennis on the Monday morning before the 4th of July, a fairly large percentage of those people would be interested in watching Venus and/or Svitolina. 

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Fritz in danger of crashing out in an early round for the 4th slam in a row

That sounded awful until I saw that he’s playing Hanfmann

Hanfmann is the better grass court player, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see Fritz lose. That is a shitty draw.

Fritz has to hope that playing more than 3 sets is more than Hanfmann is prepared for. 

Svitolina showing that her serve isn’t good enough to go far in this tournament. 

Edited by Napoleon

Gauff dumping yet another forehand into the net screams “I need a real tennis coach besides my dad!”

Coco is like Flash on the court, but that forehand sucks ass. Especially on low balls. 

If not for that, she likely would have this match won. 

I’m pulling for Kenin today, so I don’t mind seeing it. 

PS- Chris Fowler has been even more pro Coco than Chris Evert today. Boy they were all over Coco today. 

Edited by Napoleon

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I wonder how Putin feels about Kasatkina given she’s a lesbian and the kremlin denies the existence of LGBTQ folk in Siberia 

She also is the most open about the war being wrong… not saying she is risking her family’s lives by campaigning against the war, but she’s ooenly the most considerate of what the Ukrainians on the tour are going through. 

Side Note: I like Mackie McDonald, but I was happy to see Bublik win after losing the first set, because I think that he can do some damage. He won two weeks ago and without Kyrgios, we would be without an underhanded server if Bublik had been knocked out. 

Edited by Napoleon

Jeremy Chardy’s ball toss can’t have ever been worse than it is today. 

Some of the tosses look like he just learned the game last week. 

Last year he had a short run of pretty good results where he won one or two matches in each tournament he entered.

Today is his last match (if he loses and it looks like it is a few years late. Crazy how bad he is today  

At about 30:20 the 95 lb weakling of The Tennis Podcast reviews the part of Thiem v Tsitsipas that he watched and basically they are both shit. 

Sounds like Murray will beat the TvT winner.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tennis-podcast/id530971441?i=1000619297079

So I was wrong. The shitty Tsitsipas isn’t going to make it to the 3rd round. 

Novak just beat Jordan Thompson. It was a close match, but straight sets. 

But my goodness Thompson has changed his look. I have always known him to look like this:

IMG_4417.jpeg.e6eda99006c809603fba82cbe7b3fabe.jpeg

IMG_4418.png.b428ddbe0782a2d109eb7696b089bac0.png

But someone convinced him to clean up his act and today he looked civilized. 

IMG_4419.thumb.jpeg.ac3069aaf82451e91e42ca0ad4d4924f.jpeg

IMG_4420.thumb.jpeg.c51318056d80fa00a89643a5341fb22d.jpeg

Civilized even when yelling. 

If “Queer Eye…” still exists, they must have gotten their claws into him. 

TSITSIPAS vs THIEM

The two are in a 10 point tie-breaker at the end of the 5th set. Tsitsipas just made great plays at the net for the first mini-break at 4-2. 

Paola Badosa is now dating Tsitsipas and she’s in the stands next to Tsitsi-Dad.

Edited by Napoleon

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I can’t figure out what kind of last name Armitraj is. I assume middle eastern. Persian perhaps?

It’s Indian AF!

This slick, brown, muscle-bound Tennis Channel host who prime on-location hosting gigs, Prakash…

IMG_4455.thumb.jpeg.8332fad6ccc55969332d905b96e47ef7.jpeg

is the brother or cousin of Riske’s husband. 

I think that Prakash is much shorter than his listed 6’2” (I have thought that he is shorter than my 5’9” from his comparative height when in the Tennis Channel studio.) and Wiki says: 

He is the son of former Indian tennis player Vijay Amritraj.

I think that he went to USC and the whole Armitrage family is Indian tennis royalty. 

“WTA Gonna WTA” ALERT:

Elina Svitolina beat Elise Mertens

6-1, 1-6, 6-1

😂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Alize Cornet just slipped into kind of a hurdler’s stretch going for a deuce point on Rybakina’s serve at 5-5 in the second set after Rybakina won the first set.

She looks to have strained that right hip, but not dislocated it. She also has her right thigh wrapped already. Cornet also has had 5 break points in this game. 

Taylor Fritz just lost on sn Ace to lose the 5th set 2-6 after winning the first two sets against Sweden’s Mikael Ymer.
¡¡ZOINKS!!

And Big Foe Frances Tiafoe just hit an ace to win his match in 3 sets. 

Alize Cornet is going tough it at. Back to deuce. 

Tsitsipas seems to have forgotten that he sucks on grass. 

Up a mini-break in the first set tie-breaker, The Greek has looked very comfortable. 

And he wins it 7-3 in the breaker. 

Plus, after finishing off his 5 setter yesterday, they will only be able to get about 3 sets in tonight before the 11pm curfew (5pm Central Daylight Time).