2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TexasIsBetter said:

Hey guys, my daughter and I are coming down for the game on Wednesday. If I understand correctly, admission and parking is free? Is that in the parking garage?

Thanks 

Hopefully,  because it is vs aggy more info will be published.

Normally Fall games are free,  not sure about parking in the garage.   I try to get there early and find street parking.    May want to call the athletic ticket office (512-471-3333)

• Hook 'Em 1

Also on LHN, 7PM.    (excerpt from email) 

FREE ADMISSION & FREE PARKING!

Texas Softball continues their fall slate of games tomorrow against future SEC rival Texas A&M! Admission is FREE and seating is on a first-come first-served basis.

Things to know ahead of gameday...

Parking
Complimentary parking is available in the East Campus Garage. 

For questions about Texas Softball ticket options, please contact Ticket Sales and Services at tickets@athletics.utexas.edu.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.texassports.com%2FEloquaImages%2Fclients%2FPACtexas%2F%257B0be236d1-24ac-47ad-aee3-68b8ac4740da%257D_SB_Fall-Ball-Schedule_2.jpg&t=1697582801&ymreqid=b82d572a-2631-9bf2-1cc5-b7000101dc00&sig=VtDLHzOJI7dMF7R63lSD8Q--~D

• Hook 'Em 2

Trisha Ford just looks like the epitome of an aggy already. 

Simspon loaded the bases with 2 outs in the 6th (2 walks and HBP) and Mac Morgan comes in with a 2-0 count to the aggy batter. Induces the pop out

2-1 Texas. Bottom 6

Recap from TexasSports.

- Leighann Good had right arm in a sling.   Shoulder/arm injury ?    Soft type sling, maybe not serious.

-  Didn't realize pitching Coach Taylor was so young.   Checked bio,  graduated from Middle Tenn St in 2018.  2 years vol asst at UConn,  2 years as pitching coach at Lehigh.   Lehigh had a 2.73 era last year, 40-14 record.

AUSTIN, Texas – The month of May may be seven months away, but Wednesday night's fall softball game between Texas and Texas A&M felt like a true NCAA Regional matchup, before the two programs played to a 2-2 tie after seven full innings of action.

The same way it did against the Aggies when the two teams met for a regional title during their last meeting on Sunday, May 21, 2023, Texas jumped out to an early multiple-run lead in the first inning as Viviana Martinez sparked a two-run bottom of the first with a run-scoring double to plate Bella Dayton, who led off the frame with a walk and advanced to second on a Mia Scott walk, from second. 

Three batters later, Martinez, herself, scored when Alyssa Washington singled down the right field line to mark the sixth first-inning run for the Longhorns over the last two meetings between Texas and Texas A&M. 

Over the next three innings, Texas managed to have at least one runner on base, including the bottom of the fourth after the Aggies plated their first run with a two-out double in the top half of the frame. 

Texas A&M scored its game-tying run in the top of the seventh, when Aiyanna Coleman connected for a solo home run to begin the frame. Texas attempted to rally with three pinch hitters — Jordyn Whitaker, Vanessa Quiroga and Baylea Brandon — in the bottom of the seventh, but the trio were unable to reach base and ended the game. 

In two innings of work, Teagan Kavan struck out three Aggie batters, pushing her four-game fall strikeout total to 15 in 29 batters faced. 

FROM HEAD COACH MIKE WHITE

"Tonight was very much like a regional-type matchup with the way the crowd was hanging onto every pitch and every play. Having 871 fans here tonight for a fall game, I was very pleased with that and the support from the crowd. We came out and hit the ball really well to begin the game, and then we stopped scoring. You have to give (Texas A&M) credit for that, though, because they were making plays when they had to. Both teams played really well tonight and that's just a credit to the game of softball."

FROM SOPHOMORE VIVIANA MARTINEZ

"So far, I've really just been focusing on what I'm practicing on every day and taking that to the game. I'm just trying to stay within myself, really. Tonight felt so good. There was an amazing crowd, so the energy levels were high and playing against (Texas) A&M is always good competition. Tonight was just a fall ball game and I can't wait until the regular season gets here." 

https://texassports.com/news/2023/10/18/softball-plays-to-a-seven-inning-tie-with-texas-am.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit the Big 12 did it.  They actually did it. 

We went TO Houston for every conference contest we were scheduled with them, except the return trip in MBB (but we play home and home)

Big 12 schedule:

@ UH
BYU
@ UCF
@ Ok State
OU
Baylor
@ KU
ISU
@ Tech

Edited by Js1

27 conference games.  We usually only play 18.  I wonder how this will affect non-conference scheduling and tournaments. 

We can only play 56 total contests before the postseason.  We typically have about 35-37 non-conference games, which includes 3 or 4 tournaments held in Austin (~5 games per tournament) + the random matchups with UTSA/UNT/UTA/Sam Houston/SFA.  We can only have 29 non-conference matchups this year, so we will probably eliminate 1 home tournament and reduce the number of random mid-week matchups.  

• We are going to Tallahassee to face FSU on March 20 (badass)
  • We are going to the Shriners Children's Clearwater Invitational, so that's 5 or 6 opponents.  I know we face Tennessee on February 16, but that's it so far. 

Piqued my interest @Js1.    Cursory look at past opponents who have published schedule.

Lone Star Invitational @McCombs   23-25 Feb    Stanford,  ULL,  Colo St (great tournament)   

Texas St,  Feb 28, (there) Apr 10

Tenn is coming down to play UT Arlington on 8 Feb and follow with a weekend @Baylor.   Too bad we could not have scheduled in lieu of UTA or a Monday game.   Suppose game at Clearwater affected.

New B12 teams '23 record.

UCF 40-21

BYU 35-17

UH 20-30  (Hope Nadia Taylor and Hope Trautwein can improve the program) 

Cinn - No program

Edited by torre

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...