2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

She's good, but that would seem a little underwhelming for Patty. She's more of an inning eater (kinda like Mac) and not a strikeout pitcher like Jordy. I could see Patty angling more for a swing and miss type. I don't follow Stanford much - I'm surprised Vawter is bailing.   

31 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

She's good, but that would seem a little underwhelming for Patty. She's more of an inning eater (kinda like Mac) and not a strikeout pitcher like Jordy. I could see Patty angling more for a swing and miss type. I don't follow Stanford much - I'm surprised Vawter is bailing.   

I am too. Seems like her and Canady could have ran it back to OKC. No idea if she is going to OU or not, she’d be an attractive options for a lot of schools losing their ace like Tennessee or FSU. 

Vawter is a really good pitcher, but I don't see OU as a fit for her. As previously mentioned, Patty prefers swing and miss pitchers over drop ball pitchers who live and die with the ground ball. Has anyone heard any names that Texas may be chasing in the portal? We need a couple of legit power bats in the middle of the order, to complitment all this speed. Ideally, they would play 1st or 3rd base. The kid from Indiana is intriguing, but I haven't seen any interest there.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Already a rumor she’s OU bound 

Of course she is. Mike White has got to recruit or develop some power bats. We can score a lot of runs with our speed, but every once in a while, a 3 run bomb would be nice. I think Atwood will hit 15-20 next year, but that's it for power in the line up.

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Of course she is. Mike White has got to recruit or develop some power bats. We can score a lot of runs with our speed, but every once in a while, a 3 run bomb would be nice. I think Atwood will hit 15-20 next year, but that's it for power in the line up.

I’d like to see Baylea Brandon with more playing time 

agreed, I think Brandon and Quiroga can both bring pop to the line up, but not sure how we get them all on the field at the same time. My guess is that Cimusz becomes the odd girl out, and between 1B and DH you can get two good bats in the order.....but as we saw last year, it's hard to hide a defensive liability anymore.

Excerpt from Austin Amer Statesman:

"It’s a selfless attitude from Georgetown's Isa Torres that might get overshadowed by her incredible talent and personal performance, but it plays a part in her being the American-Statesman’s Central Texas softball player of the year.

While a wizard in the infield, Torres put up mind-boggling numbers at the plate with 64 hits, batting .577 with an on-base percentage of .628 and striking out only twice in 156 plate appearances. A two-time all-state selection and an All-Central Texas pick for the third year in a row, she’s heading to play at Florida State, a program that just finished as national runner-up at the College World Series."

Did Texas consider recruiting this player?

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Excerpt from Austin Amer Statesman:

Did Texas consider recruiting this player?

No idea on the recruitment of Isa Torres.  @Js1 may know.  Google tells me she was committed to aggy to play with her sister, Mariana.   However, her sister transferred to McNeese after the coaching change.

Viviana Martinez put up simillar numbers in Arizona.   She was just selected to play on Team USA in the Japan Series.   Similar high school numbers also for Goode, Scott, and Washington.    That said,  FSU Coach Lonni Alameda (one of the best) doesn't waste scholarships.

Following a standout freshman campaign under fifth-year head coach Mike White, Texas' Viviana Martinez has been selected to a Women's National Team (WNT) to compete in the 2023 Japan All-Star Series slated to take place from August 4 to August 7 USA Softball announced Thursday.

https://texassports.com/news/2023/6/22/martinez-selected-to-represent-usa-softball-in-2023-japan-all-star-series.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course it’s early, but OU has lost 3 big names - Bahl (Nebraska), Nugent (Tennessee) and now Jocelyn Erickson. I’m sure Patty will reload at the P spot and a backup catcher.  Erickson was touted as the heir apparently to the catcher spot and the best defensive catcher coming out of HS. 

I’d love to make a run at her and platoon her and Atwood to 1B/DH. 

Edited by Js1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, Js1 said:

Of course it’s early, but OU has lost 3 big names - Bahl (Nebraska), Nugent (Tennessee) and now Jocelyn Erickson. I’m sure Patty will reload at the P spot and a backup catcher.  Erickson was touted as the heir apparently to the catcher spot and the best defensive catcher coming out of HS. 

I’d love to make a run at her and platoon her and Atwood to 1B/DH. 

Word on the street is that Erickson is heading west to be closer to home. I agree, she would be a nice fit at C/1B and she has a big power bat as well.

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Word on the street is that Erickson is heading west to be closer to home. I agree, she would be a nice fit at C/1B and she has a big power bat as well.

I had read probably west too, but doesn’t hurt to try 

6 minutes ago, torre said:

Courtney graduated in May,  good for her !

Our 2023 spring grads were Day, Popelka, Corona, and Gilbert. Obviously Gilbert was the only senior and out of eligibility.

The other 3 did elect to head elsewhere, which is not uncommon. WBB lost 3 seniors a couple years ago who left to use their COVID year after they graduated from Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Pomykalski ASU

Good for her.  Writing on the wall by about mid-season that she wasn't happy and was going elsewhere. Believe she was heavily recruited by Bartlett, so not surprised she followed her to ASU.  Barlett is a good choice. 

Between Scott, Dayton, Maloney already here and Henry (#3/5 recruit) and Wallace (#99) coming in, she was kind of screwed if she wanted that OF playing time.  

OU picks up a transfer from Wisconsin - Paytn Monticelli (7-4, 2.71 ERA, 82 K in 80 IP, .235 BAA)

If she sounds familiar, it's because you saw her at the Bevo Classic

4 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K and took the L against Texas in the first game we played them

3.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K against Bama (no decision)
1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, against Texas State (no decision0. 

25 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Supposedly, OU has another transfer in the boat as well. The rich get richer. Monticelli is not an ace, but she can eat up innings when needed to. 

The Indiana player, allegedly. Taryn Kern. 

On 6/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Good for my girl. 

UT Arlington says buck 'em and that's their hand sign?  I had no idea.  That's cool.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:09 PM, bschoolprof said:

Day to Ole Miss

So they've made a logo with Joey Freshwater's Sip branding patterned after the SEC logo?  aggy must be so confused.

• Like 1

Texas Coaching Tree

Congratulations to Nadia Taylor (Houston) and Kaitlyn Slack (Kansas) who have been named assistant coaches.    Nadia was at Michigan St last year,  Slack a volunteer asst at Kansas.

Suppose Mike White will soon name a third assistant.

https://uhcougars.com/news/2023/5/29/softball-hires-taylor-to-coaching-staff.aspx

https://kuathletics.com/mcfalls-promotes-kaitlyn-slack-to-assistant-coach/

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Short trip for her from Stillwater to Norman.  

Probably not wrong. I could see everyone from FSU, UCLA, OU and Bama ready to throw the bag at her.  I wouldn’t say OU is a given though 

Edited by Js1

Happy for Molly !

Didn't realize she was from Iowa.    Just got married a few months ago (nice story, with photos  link 1).   Always liked her demeanor and attitude.

https://www.theknot.com/us/molly-jacobsen-and-robbie-mccargar-oct-2023/our-story

In her year playing with the Longhorns, Jacobsen recorded a 14-6 record with 76 strikeouts. Her team also made a Super Regional appearance that season,

The Iowa-native also brings experience in the Southeastern Conference. She totaled 19 wins, five saves, and 230 strikeouts with a 2.53 ERA over two seasons in Oxford.

"Molly is an upcoming star in our profession," Anderson said in a press release, on Friday. "I've always admired her work ethic and determination in her playing career, which has carried over now to her coaching career. She has been mentored by some phenomenal softball minds in our game and I look forward to sharing the bullpen with her and our pitching staff."

https://abc17news.com/sports/2023/07/07/mizzous-larrisa-anderson-adds-to-the-softball-staff/

3 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Absolutely. Throw a bunch of NIL money at her and see what happens

Yep. You have to at least try. I’m sure we will reach out to her camp with an offer 

• Hook 'Em 1

Doubled her HRs from last year to this year, triples her stolen bases. If it’s her, it’s a new infield piece and at the plate

Either Mike was angling for a big pitching fish (Maxwell) or is comfortable with Morgan, Simpson, Gutierrez and Kavan