2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

31 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I never really viewed female athletes as giant douchebags until OU softball. Jordy Bahl strutting around after every strike. Bat flipping walks.  So thanks sooners.  

Basically Tennessee baseball last year. They embrace being villains bc they win. 

44 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You compared a 7-time National Champ to Tennessee baseball. Think about that for 2 minutes. 

Uhhh, pretty sure he's not comparing the success of the 2 programs, just the antics.

I guess softball needs more brushback pitches/headhunting.  That might curb some of the ridiculous celebrations for walks etc.

Oh well, OU is really fucking good.

They're the Alabama of softball right now

12 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Uhhh, pretty sure he's not comparing the success of the 2 programs, just the antics.

I guess softball needs more brushback pitches/headhunting.  That might curb some of the ridiculous celebrations for walks etc.

This.  A 3rd grader knew JS was only comparing the antics and not the actual success. 

Calm the fuck down. No one—literally no one—is saying there is a comparison success wise. 

I don't think anyone doubts OU is the best, perhaps the best college sports team in any sport right now.  Hats off to Gasso - she's a legend.

But their players are douchey, Bahl in particular.  We are not talking about silly chants. From the camo headband to the constant strutting after every pitch, to the blatant illegal pitches that never get called anymore.  She's a gigantic cock gobbling douchbag, and she was before she set foot on OU's campus. .  Yes, if she played for us, she'd be our douchbag.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/softball/2021/05/07/ou-softball-patty-gasso-sooners-pipeline-batbusters-southern-california-talent/4969532001/

Above article is 2 years old but still holds true.   Gasso,  native Californian, has built a strong pipeline to one of the Nation's premier youth softball teams.   Note the players from that program.    And success permits attracting other top recruits and transfers.

Excerpts:

This season, nine former Batbusters are Sooners, constituting more than a third of the roster. What’s more, they are some of the biggest contributors for top-ranked OU. Jocelyn Alo. Tiare Jennings. Kinzie Hansen. Nicole May.

Gasso spent several years recruiting Romero’s older sister, Sierra, who ultimately chose Michigan.

“My heart broke,” Gasso said. “But I felt like I was a little late to her recruiting party. So, I made it a point that I was going to be first in line for Syd Romero.”

Romero was playing for Stith, so Gasso called him.

It would be the first of many conversations, and when Romero committed to OU, Gasso had a feeling Stith’s teams might produce even more Sooners. She felt a connection between the programs, like they were kindred spirits.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ha, Pancho, the noted softball fan, chimes in now. Shut the fuck up. 

I’ve always been a softball fan. I’m a fan of every sport the university I graduated from fields. I don’t think I can say the same about you.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Should have added that I wish her all the luck wherever she ends up. Enjoyed watching her play. 

Same sentiments.

LHN did a great feature on her and her Mom who is a breast cancer survivor.   Great story on how her Mom supported her and made trips from MD Anderson to see her play.  Her Mom is cancer free,  hope she remains so.   On a phone,  don't have time to link.   May want to google if interested.

Really?  I'd hate to see how lopsided things were before.  Right now there's only one team with enough talent to win it all.  How can there be less parity that that?

Yea back in the day it used to be a west coast rich white girl sport. Texas didn't even field a team until 1997.

Edited by Vermin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I figured Popelka was hanging them up, not transferring.  She got tons of PT this year, but never did much at the plate.  

Corona going elsewhere makes total sense.  She was a great team player.

Day is not consistent enough.  

I'm curious the extent to which this portaling was player-driven or some of it was that they were told about the writing on the wall.

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I figured Popelka was hanging them up, not transferring.  She got tons of PT this year, but never did much at the plate.  

Corona going elsewhere makes total sense.  She was a great team player.

Day is not consistent enough.  

I'm curious the extent to which this portaling was player-driven or some of it was that they were told about the writing on the wall.

Day had the 3rd best OPS on the team and will be missed.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This year’s ratings won’t be good. Not because of Texas, but read the room. I’ll post how bad they were in a couple days. 

How bad?  Lol

Let me save you some time…beat last year.  Just as I’d have guessed:

Thursday's title game — which extended the Sooners' win streak to 53 games — averaged 1.9 million viewers, peaking at 2.3 million, a 7 percent increase from last year. The 2022 championship series also averaged 1.6 million viewers.

https://theathletic.com/4598276/2023/06/09/womens-college-world-series-2023-viewership/

• Like 1

Bahl to Nebraska is a great story. We don’t have to face her again and the hometown girl taking her 2 rings to help resurrect Nebraska is kinda cool. But yeah, Patty will choose who replaces her and she’ll mysteriously enter the portal in a week or two. 

Jordy is still a gigantic douche in my book, but at least she had the decency to bail on her team right after the season with plenty of notice. As opposed to waiting right before the season to run off with her new significant other at the beach, and then transfer to our in conference rival.  That's some low down bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 6/12/2023 at 4:13 PM, torre said:

Canady just completed her freshman year at Stanford and is from Topeka.   

Close! Right school, wrong pitcher 

Vawter was originally committed to Texas prior to Clark retiring. From Kansas City