2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Agree we need more power.  And a true ace.  

I don't see us going after another #1 pitcher.  Morgan will be a junior, Czech will be a senior, Sophia will be a junior, Citlaly will be a sophomore and we have a top 10 prospect in Teagan Kavan. Unless someone moves on. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't see us going after another #1 pitcher.  Morgan will be a junior, Czech will be a senior, Sophia will be a junior, Citlaly will be a sophomore and we have a top 10 prospect in Teagan Kavan. Unless someone moves on. 

Yes, I agree it's unlikely it will happen.  I'm speaking more in terms of wishcasting and filling holes in our roster.  We lack a real ace, or even a swing and miss pitcher (except for SS when she's on, but she lacks consistency).  

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

yeah true dat.  Can we get Gasso's leftovers?

I am 100% not opposed to trying to grab any Sooner out of the portal.

Tenn picked up 2 former Sooner offensive players:

Zaida Puney - .369 with 12 HR
Mackenzie Donihoo - .284 with 7 HR

Puney would be Texas' leading HR hitter and Donihoo would be tied for 3rd. 

Anyone who got even a year of coaching under JT Gasso is worth pursuing. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I’m sure if we pursued, we’d be battling with Trisha Ford and Gasso. Gasso sees 30 HR in 2 seasons, PG will get her 

Trisha Ford is going to be a problem - said with respect and hate equally divided.

Noticed in the postgame team/coaches "high five" line there was no interaction (no words) between her and Mac. 

2 minutes ago, torre said:

Trisha Ford is going to be a problem - said with respect and hate equally divided.

Noticed in the postgame team/coaches "high five" line there was no interaction (no words) between her and Mac. 

Ford is who she is.  It said a lot, to me, that no one really followed her to aggy.  Mike got all those Ducks to come with him, but none of the 6 major ASU players who went into the portal followed Ford.  Madison Preston did, but I barely count her because Preston did not play in 2021 or 2022. 

Hell, Morgan, Torres and Sanders all ended up basically in Ford's backyard at schools she recruits against (Texas and OU)

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Ford is who she is.  It said a lot, to me, that no one really followed her to aggy.  Mike got all those Ducks to come with him, but none of the 6 major ASU players who went into the portal followed Ford.  Madison Preston did, but I barely count her because Preston did not play in 2021 or 2022. 

Hell, Morgan, Torres and Sanders all ended up basically in Ford's backyard at schools she recruits against (Texas and OU)

This is the answer. Ford was a weird hire in my opinion. aTm has some of the best facilities in the country and could have money whipped almost any coach and yet they got Ford….and then, as you said, 1/2 of ASU’s team jumps in the portal and she gets none of them. Mike White is considered a hard ass, but half the ducks team followed him to Texas. 

18 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is the answer. Ford was a weird hire in my opinion. aTm has some of the best facilities in the country and could have money whipped almost any coach and yet they got Ford….and then, as you said, 1/2 of ASU’s team jumps in the portal and she gets none of them. Mike White is considered a hard ass, but half the ducks team followed him to Texas. 

Didn't Alameda back out at the last minute,   also Kenny G ?  and likely others not known.  Likely got raises to stay.   Something was wrong other than facilities and possibly salary,   also few proven coaches not wanting to move.  No idea about player relations,   but  I think she is a good coach and due to the facilities and aggy support will be a challenge.   

That said,  Valentine (former ASU commit from Phoenix) entered the portal.   Pinch hit that 3 run HR which prevented the run rule.

Quotes from KXAN article.    Vid below give a look at Ashley Rogers, Tenn ace, and nice views of the stadium/field.   Milloy, mentioned in the article, is leadoff hitter.   Tenn has 6 pitchers and uses them all,  including Ryleigh White who transferred from Texas after her freshman year.

Excerpts:

Lady Vols outfielder Kiki Milloy, daughter of 15-year NFL veteran defensive back Lawyer Milloy, leads Division I with 25 home runs and a slugging percentage of 1.013, meaning she has more total bases (152) than at-bats (150) this season. She’s fourth in on-base percentage at .580 and has stolen 37 bases, 11th in Division I, so she impacts the game everywhere she goes.

In the circle, Lady Vols pitcher Ashley Rogers is third in Division I with a 0.73 ERA in 124.1 innings this season. Both players have helped the Lady Vols to a 44-8 record this season, and if the Longhorns want to go on a run like last year’s — all the way to the championship series of the Women’s College World Series — they’ll have to take out one of the best teams in the country.

“Tennessee is tough and athletic, and Kiki Milloy is special,” Longhorns head coach Mike White said. “We have to make sure we are pitching carefully and pick certain situations to go at her. Hopefully, we can get some runs and be able to challenge her a little bit, otherwise we’ll have to pitch around her a little bit.”

NCAA softball super regionals: Texas Longhorns well aware of star power on Tennessee Lady Vols squad (kxan.com)

Kiki Malloy is just like facing an OU leadoff hitter like Alo, Coleman, etc. - .427 with 25 HR.  

Outside of Ashley Rogers' miniscule ERA (0.52 on 124 IP), we will see Payton Goshall (1.52 in 96.2 IP) and Karlyn Pickens (2.84 in 83.2 IP).  They have 6 pitchers on roster, but the other 3 are all at 20 IP or less - including Ryleigh White (1.07 in 19.2 IP). 

If we are facing White, Simpson or Orsini, either we are losing 8-0 or winning 8-0 

29 minutes ago, torre said:

Lawyer Milloy, leads Division I with 25 home runs and a slugging percentage of 1.013, meaning she has more total bases (152) than at-bats (150) this season. 

Holy shit.  Averaging over a base per at bat seems, uh, pretty good.  

20 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

OSU up 7-1 T6

Team that wins game 1 of Super, goes on to World Series 81% of the time.

It’s funny we’ve been on both sides of that. Won game 1 versus Oregon in 2012 but didn’t advance. Lost game 1 versus Arkansas last year but did advance 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:21 PM, Js1 said:

Texas @ Tennessee gets the A-team crew

Friday, 4pm, ESPN2
Saturday 3pm, TBD
Sunday, TBD, TBD

Beth Mowins, Michele Smith, Jess Mendoza and Holly Rowe

Other crews:
Norman - Eric Frede, Madison Shipman
Tallahassee - Courtney Lyle (vomit), Danielle Lawrie
Tuscaloosa - Mike Couzens, Kayla Braud (Bama alum)
Stillwater - Kevin Brown, Amanda Scarborough
Seattle - Mark Neely, Carol Bruggeman
Durham - Pam Ward (vomit), Jenny Dalton-Hill
Salt Lake City - Tiffany Greene, Erin Miller

Surprised they sent OU alum Erin Miller to SLC and Tennessee alum Madison Shipman to Norman, while Bama gets a former alum. 

You committed the cardinal sin of doing a copy+paste on something with Eastern times.

SHAME!

5 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37721644/wcws-college-softball-texas-coach-mike-white-journey

Great read about Mike White….apparently, at one time, the greatest softball pitcher in the world…

Good read. I love his little dig at the dirt burgulars about how things may be a little shady with their recruiting. I've always wondered how they could get all those girls to leave Cali for shitty Oklahoma.

30 minutes until game time. I'm ready to see if this young team has what it takes to take down the Vols. Go gettem ladies! HOOKEM

Getting interesting in Norman.  Clemson has cut the lead to 4-2 in the 5th and still batting with bases loaded and 1 out.  3 errors in the inning for OU including two in a row by the third baseman.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Getting interesting in Norman.  Clemson has cut the lead to 4-2 in the 5th and still batting with bases loaded and 1 out.  3 errors in the inning for OU including two in a row by the third baseman.

Nice jinx asshole.  Strikeout, line out to leave the bases loaded.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, HollidayHorn said:

Good read. I love his little dig at the dirt burgulars about how things may be a little shady with their recruiting. I've always wondered how they could get all those girls to leave Cali for shitty Oklahoma.

30 minutes until game time. I'm ready to see if this young team has what it takes to take down the Vols. Go gettem ladies! HOOKEM

Wish he stuck with it.  Instead he apologized the next day and hemmed and hawed about how he's envious of OU's NIL and Texas needs to do better.  I like the flipping off version of him better for the rivalry.