2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

• Popelka to Washington (good spot for her!)
  • Vawter maybe announcement at 5pm or so? 
  • Rumor that a big thing is about to happen at OU - Gasso retirement?  
  • Cat shot down her being the 3rd assistant on Twitter 😭

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vawter to South Carolina or Florida is what I hear. I can't see Gasso retiring anytime soon. Her husband just took a HC job at a small christian school. That sucks about Cat....she would be a big hit on the recruiting trail.

16 minutes ago, orangeut said:

Am I missing something, could the big announcement at ou is they are getting Maxwell?  

It was teased as “monumental” and “earth shattering”

OU getting a stud transfer isn’t that monumental these days lol

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Great for Alyssa.  I was wondering where she would end up after a month or two of radio silence.  

Edited by bschoolprof

8 minutes ago, orangeut said:

Well, that is correct about  them getting a big transfer to OU.....but, ok,  I give up.

I mean, maybe it is Maxwell. Just the hype the rumor is getting doesn’t feel like it’s that

I have always wondered at what point Patty calls it quits. It can’t be very fun anymore. And she’s not going to romp through the SEC when you have to play 3 games series against Texas, LSU, Arkansas, Bama, Florida, Georgia back to back to back weekends. Much different than a random game or two game series in non-conference and then you have multiple weeks of crappy ISU, KU, Tech and only have to get yourself up for 2 weekends of the regular season 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sounds like she's trying to get paid. If Vawter just got $500k what is her value? 

The schools in the mix are Florida, Texas, OU, aggy, and LSU. She's trying to get a bag. 

I don’t believe UF is in play anymore. Tim Walton unfollowed her 😂 Did the same to Vawter

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I didn't think NIL would be a huge factor for the smaller sports but it definitely is. 

Track and field has become a 3 school race (Florida, Arkansas, and Texas) primarily because of NIL. These 3 schools are buying every single top transfer and recruit. It's just the way these things work now. 

Also look at Nebraska volleyball and their NIL announcement 

I just find it hilarious that Tim Walton is such a bitch and unfollowed both Maxwell and Vawter after he coached them for Team USA, just because they didn't pick Florida. 

Considering it sounds like one of their stud incoming freshman pitchers is likely to RS and another had surgery not too long ago, he may be scraping the JUCO barrel or hoping for someone to graduate in December and get enticed, like Dolcini did. 

Edited by Js1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I just find it hilarious that Tim Walton is such a bitch and unfollowed both Maxwell and Vawter after he coached them for Team USA, just because they didn't pick Florida. 

Considering it sounds like one of their stud incoming freshman pitchers is likely to RS and another had surgery not too long ago, he may be scraping the JUCO barrel or hoping for someone to graduate in December and get enticed, like Dolcini did. 

I tried to tell anyone who would listed that he is a grade A dick.

Maxwell to OU is official now......I guess I will call up my sister, looks like we are all playing for 2nd place again.

• Rage+1 1

I'm curious what Mike's tweet was.  They can go ahead and announce it now? 

Rumor is/was $250k for Maxwell.  Two schools just dropped $750k (allegedly) on softball players. 

Edited by Js1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm curious what Mike's tweet was.  They can go ahead and announce it now? 

Rumor is/was $250k for Maxwell.  Two schools just dropped $750k (allegedly) on softball players. 

I don't believe any of those numbers. Outside of Canady and maybe Bahl, no player is worth anything close to $250K in softball right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice story about Janae.

WPF has 4 teams with quality players (USSSA Pride (Fl), SIS Vipers (NY), Spark (Ok), and Texas Smoke.   To be selected player of the year is quite an honor.

https://wprofastpitch.com/

(excerpts)

In her first year with the Texas Smoke, the former Longhorn was selected as the Women's Professional Fastpitch Player of the Year. The infielder slashed .438/.523/.580 leading the Smoke to the playoffs in their debut as a team.

Since graduating, the Texas-ex has played for the U.S. national team and conducted a variety of camps across the nation between workouts in her hometown of Humble just north of Houston in order to supplement her salary with the Smoke. One of Jefferson's hopes is to earn a contract in Japan, one of the only leagues in the world that offers a sustainable salary as a professional softball player.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/softball/2023/08/10/former-texas-longhorns-if-janae-jefferson-wins-softball-player-of-the-year-with-smoke/70565767007/

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Fall 2023 Schedule    (All home games)

Saturday, Sept. 23 (10 AM) – St. Mary's

Saturday, Sept. 23 (12:30 PM) – McLennan CC

Wednesday, Oct. 4 (7:30 PM) – UTSA*

Wednesday, Oct. 18 (7 PM) – Texas A&M*

Friday, Oct. 27 (6 PM) – Texas State

*games broadcasted on Longhorn Network

MCC and St. Mary's will play each other, too, at 3 p.m. to wrap up a three-team round robin day on Saturday, Sept. 23.

Joley Mitchell, who transferred from Notre Dame during the offseason, highlights a seven-player newcomer group that is filled with six freshman student-athletes that was ranked as the number four recruiting class in the nation.

https://texassports.com/news/2023/9/13/softball-announces-fall-slate-of-games.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Mya Holmes not on the roster anymore.  I don't know if she is transferring or going narp.   

20 ABs in 2 seasons.  With Maloney having a bit of a breakout RS FR season and the incoming OFers like Wallace and Henry who were very highly rated, was bound to happen she fell wayyy down the OF depth chart.  

Maloney/Scott/Dayton with Wallace and Henry right behind them 

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

we got a commitment today from Hannah Wells, who is a top pitching prospect, so that's good.  

According to her X profile, Wells racked up 239 strikeouts with an ERA of 0.38 as a sophomore. But she is just as impactful at the plate as she is in the pitcher’s circle. Wells batted .602 this past season with 65 hits, including 21 home runs.

Top 5 recruit 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:55 PM, bschoolprof said:

we got a commitment today from Hannah Wells, who is a top pitching prospect, so that's good.  

I watched Hannah dominate in travel ball last year. She was deciding between us and LSU and chose the good guys! She is a good kid and a really good player. This is a big pick up

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, torre said:

Saturday, Sept. 23 (10 AM) – St. Mary's

Saturday, Sept. 23 (12:30 PM) – McLennan CC

15-0 over St Mary‘s. Only gave up 2 hits

Katie Stewart was DP, Mitchell at 3B, OF was Maloney, Dayton and Kayden Henry. Cimusz was 1B. Citlaly started 

Currently playing McLennan

Stewart catching, Whitaker DP, Ryan Brown at 3B, Brandon at 1B, and OF is Maloney, Quiroga and Dayton. Kavan is starting

TexasSports article.    @Js1  Thanks for the updates.  Did TexasSoftball twitter follow the games ?

AUSTIN, Texas – On November 9, 2022, Texas softball head coach Mike White and his staff signed a six-player recruiting class that was ranked as the fourth best in the nation. 10 months later, that class saw its first action Red & Charline McCombs Field against another opponent, and they did not disappointed during the Longhorns beat St. Mary's and McLennan Community College, 15-0 and 26-1, respectively, to begin its fall slate. 

At the plate, the six-player class — that includes Adayah Wallace, Victoria Hunter, Katie Stewart, Kayden Henry and Ryan Brown taking trips to the plate — combined to go 14-21 (.667) with a home run, a triple, seven RBI and nine runs scored. The lone pitcher in the class — Teagan Kavan — tossed the first four innings of the Longhorns' game against McLennan and struck out 10 batters, surrendered just a single and did not issue a walk or a run. 

Four Longhorn pitchers — Citlaly Gutierrez, Sophia Simpson, Kavan and Mac Morgan — took the circle on the afternoon and surrendered just four hits and a single run on the 14-inning day. 

FROM HEAD COACH MIKE WHITE

"The freshmen really stood out to me today. Coming in, you just never know how they're going to perform, and Teagan Kavan really took control of the game against McLennan and threw really well. Overall, I thought everyone played really well, even the returners. It was just a lot of fun to be to mix and match different combinations. For our pitchers today, they were just able to get ahead in the count. Coach (Pattie Ruth Taylor) is our new pitching coach and she's doing a good job with them. They're all really getting to know each other, so I'm excited to see how they're all going to do the rest of the year."

UP NEXT

Texas will return to the diamond at Red & Charline McCombs Field on Wednesday, Oct. 4, when the Longhorns face off against UTSA at 7:30 p.m.

The matchup with the Roadrunners will be the first of two fall games broadcasted on the Longhorn Network. 

https://texassports.com/news/2023/9/23/softball-opens-fall-schedule-with-back-to-back-dominate-showings.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1