No More Tax Free Internet Shopping

crash_davis

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/amazon-falls-after-the-supreme-court-rules-states-can-collect-sales-tax-2018-6-1027308288

Thursday's decision in the case of South Dakota v. Wayfair overturns a 1992 ruling that said retailers could be required to collect state sales taxes only in sales in states where the retailers had a physical presence.

Amazon has been collecting sales tax from me for some time now.  Is that because it's Texas and I'm likely buying items stored in Texas?  I never really went out of my way to purchase things online to avoid the sales tax.  I often found that the shipping costs would eat into those savings. 

55 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Amazon has been collecting sales tax from me for some time now.  Is that because it's Texas and I'm likely buying items stored in Texas?  I never really went out of my way to purchase things online to avoid the sales tax.  I often found that the shipping costs would eat into those savings. 

Bro do you even eBay? eBay and many internet retailers do not charge tax for residents in Texas.  Well, didn't.

You have to pay taxes on Amazon purchases in Texas because they have s physical presence here in the form of a huge distribution facility. That's been the standard. 

As noted above its been the policy that the consumer was obligated to voluntarily pay sales tax to the proper taxing entities. Of course no one does. The policy was set when internet sales were very modest and it wasn't worth the effort. 

Its been a while tho. The truth is, this policy change is waaaaaaay overdue. 

I think there are some sales thresholds though so that some guy selling a cd on "the eBay" won't be affected. 

You have to pay taxes on Amazon purchases in Texas because they have s physical presence here in the form of a huge distribution facility. That's been the standard. 
As noted above its been the policy that the consumer was obligated to voluntarily pay sales tax to the proper taxing entities. Of course no one does. The policy was set when internet sales were very modest and it wasn't worth the effort. 
Its been a while tho. The truth is, this policy change is waaaaaaay overdue. 
I think there are some sales thresholds though so that some guy selling a cd on "the eBay" won't be affected. 
Doesn't this go back to catalog sales? You were only required to collect sales tax in the state or states that you had s physical presence. The rest was on the consumer

I do not like OU

On 6/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, Lobo said:

On what date does this tax take effect  ?

A lot of states already had a law on the books requiring online out-of-state retailers making over some amount in sales to collect the sales tax.  Compliance with this was however voluntary, as the states waited on the decision from the South Dakota case.  South Dakota chose to challenge the law and Quill decision with what was probably the three biggest retailers that weren't voluntarily collecting the tax.  I would say that any state that already has a law on the books could start enforcing it on June 21, 2018.  Any state without such a law would have to pass it in their next legislative session.

Edited by retsevlys