2023 Roland-Garros

Play begins at 4a. DirecTV fortunately has the bonus channels back for this one. 

Men's draw

Alcaraz, Medvedev, Novak? No clue. 

Women's draw

Who bounces first from the big 3; Iga/Aryna/Elena? 

JPeg v. Dani, Karolina v. Sloane, Peyton v. Siniakova in R1 action. 

My girl Storm Hunter is going to make a run. 

Gael Monfils doing his best Lazarus imitation in rising from the dead. 

Down 4-0 in the 5th set, he’s reeled off 11 straight points. 

It has been 10 minutes since Baez has won a single point. 

And now Gael has a broken back to get even at 4 all!

GREAT STUFF!

Edited by Napoleon

Gael Monfils doing his best Lazarus imitation in rising from the dead. 
Down 4-0 in the 5th set, he’s reeled off 11 straight points. 
It has been 10 minutes since Baez has won a single point. 

GREAT STUFF!

The crowd is fucking nuts.
  • Drool 1

Just now, nycHorn said:

The crowd is fucking nuts.

Singing La Marseille coming out of the changeover. The chair umpire tried to quiet them with a “S’il vous plait.”

The crowd was having none of it. They were finishing the fucking national anthem and the ump and Baez could wait. 

12 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I don’t believe what I just saw.

It was an instant classic, legendary, will be one of his most famous matches, if not his most famous match. 

It was simply an epic performance on their center court with the crowd picking him up and cheering him on to the finish line. Just bonkers. 

• Like 1

Yep, I just saw this…

IMG_2695.thumb.jpeg.ad219e2e2efbc0bfb1c47ea61c5d863a.jpeg

…and came here to respond. 

I wonder if that was his last French Open match ever. 

Other than winning the whole damned thing, he couldn’t ask for a better last match. 

And pobrecito Baez. His opponent channels the crowd and divine inspiration to somehow beat you and then quits the tournament. 

He should get a Lucky Loser continuance. 

PSA:  YoutubeTV added Tennis Channel and T2 today.  You need to go to the YTTV website to add to your live guide.  It wasn't up yet when I checked a minute ago, but it should happen sometime today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Madison Keys is now the WTA’s holder of the “Nuke Laloosh Award” given to the player with the Million Dollar Arm & a Ten Cent Brain. 
IMG_2707.thumb.jpeg.ddf648d5b525ee6996745dbbee1eb224.jpeg

Sabalenka was the holder for many years due to her Grand Slam meltdowns, but this year she handed the award over to the longtime #2.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Little Lauren quit after losing the first set. She’ll never make the second week of a slam 

Nope. 

Those cute little thick thighs scurrying around the court bring a smile to my face and a twitch to my pants, but she would need to enter an “Under 5’ 4” League” in order for her to make it to the second week of a major.

Love her, but she picked a sport that didn’t match her physique, yet she’s done pretty well for herself.

Her actual height is probably about 5’1”. ❤️

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

Well, crap.  Tennis Channel is in the 10.99 per month sports add on pack, which, naturally, wasn't in the press release.  Stuck watching Nadal and Federer  on T2.  Doesn't suck, but . . .

So YouTube TV with sports is $61/mo?

I am running DirecTV Stream right now and I think that it has jumped to over $100/mo.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Peyton is waking up to real life. 

She ate a quick bagel. 

Peyton played like an impatient child and then occasionally was lulled to sleep before Kasstkina would unload a sneaky winner.

And then Peyton’s forehands right into the net are not attractive either. 

Hopefully she wins at least one game today. 

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

0 & 1 to one of the weakest hitters on tour. Not great, sweetie. 

IMG_2751.thumb.jpeg.317f8b6b1d6ffa1c19740f14199528f5.jpeg

Mertens treating Pegula like Kastkina did Stearns. 
American bitches be gettin’ fucked today. 

I think that Stearns will make it inside the Top 40 by the US Open, but she won’t ever be Top 10.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Aryna is looking great in these pink shorts & dispatching spares.

Iga & Elena have to deal with each other later in the top. 

I feel like there are those 3 and then a bunch of people fighting for money for their coaches & rankings points for sponsors. 

Small point of order:  Roland Garros is not hyphenated.  Roland Garros was a French aviator and WWI "ace" who died in 1918.

For some unfathomable reason, both the stadium and French Open are referred to, even by the French, as Roland-Garros.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Fritz is such a mental midget in slams. This draw was wide open for him and he crashes out to a guy who has never made the second week of a slam. He needs to find a new instagram sloot to bang because his current one aint helping

The non-Americans who cover tennis (The folks at The Tennis Podcast) had Cerundolo winning this match… because he is better on clay that Fritz.

It has nothing to do with mentality regarding slams pressure and everything to do with their games.

Clay neutralizes Fritz’s serve and he wins so many free points on that serve.

Don’t hate the player, hate the surface.

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Elena out with an upper respiratory illness. 

Iga delivered two more bagels. 

Bianca got killed by Tsurenko. 

Sorry to see Rybakina out, because she just wails on the ball. 

Iga is just mean. Cold-hearted bully. And I loved it regarding who her opponent was.

Anytime that Bianca gets humiliated, it’s a good day. Especially if she starts whining. (Don’t know if she pulled her whining bitch Ostapenko act today or not, but those two can be “special”.)

I pull for the Ukrainian chicas.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Small point of order:  Roland Garros is not hyphenated.  Roland Garros was a French aviator and WWI "ace" who died in 1918.

For some unfathomable reason, both the stadium and French Open are referred to, even by the French, as Roland-Garros.

I was just reading about this the other day.  In the French language, when something is named after someone, you are supposed to use a hyphen.  But even the tournament is inconsistent at applying this rule.  Or, perhaps, the French punctuation rule isn't used when it's written in conjunction with use in other languages.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It has nothing to do with mentality regarding slams pressure and everything to do with their games.

Clay neutralizes Fritz’s serve and he wins so many free points on that serve.

Don’t hate the player, hate the surface.

Well, since Fritz has only made it past the third round twice in 28 Slams (one 4R and one Quarter), it looks like all surfaces neutralize Fritz. He ain't winning no slam. Never. Maybe a semi or two. 

Face it, American men's tennis has cratered, despite the incessant hype coming from the Tennis Channel, ESPN, Jon Wertheim, et al. Example:  "Wow, 13 US men are in the top 100. American men are coming on strong!" blah blah blah.... Same old story since Roddick retired. 

As it is, there is no American dude on the current tennis scene who can win a slam because they will eventually lose to someone in the collective of Djokovic, Alcaraz, Medvedev, Rune, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Sinner, etc. Making the quarters, occasional semis, or maybe a rare final, that's the peak for US men. 

Gotta feel for Roddick. He would be a legend in US and tennis world (and millions more wealthier in endorsements)—were it not for that guy named Federer, who cost Roddick three Wimbledons and a second US Open title. Plus, Roddick lost several semi slam matches to Federer. 

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

I was just reading about this the other day.  In the French language, when something is named after someone, you are supposed to use a hyphen.  But even the tournament is inconsistent at applying this rule.  Or, perhaps, the French punctuation rule isn't used when it's written in conjunction with use in other languages.

image.png.735571a3ff72ce6e24c5ae099d200ccc.png

I've been wondering about that myself.

I have to admit I'm a little bothered by the fact that "Victory belongs to the most tenacious" quote at Chartrier is in English and not French.

+++++++++++++++++

Djoker was out to a quick 4-0 lead against Varillas but is now at 4-2 and facing break point.  (edit: he's up a set and a break now).

Edited by Bullneck