Arsenal FC 2023-24: Passion, Energy, Clarity

shadow_operative

My daughter’s squad was winning their U11 division (/proud-dad story, bro) at the same time, so I only just now got to watch the match.

* I thought the international break would negate the “letdown match” after the massive huge win over City. Wrong. We were terrible for 75’ and lucky not to be 3-nil down. Then their keeper had a howler, we level, and should have won on Eddie’s shot. 

* Hopefully that’s out of our system,  cause we were poor today.

* Ramsdsle 1000% deserves the next PL match in goal; Raya screwed up badly on their second, and he did everything he could to hand them a third. If Rambo   can’t get a chance after that crap-tastic performance from the guy who took his job, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him press for a transfer and maybe as soon as January. 

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Saka is playing like he is still injured. Rice invisible. 

He’s fouled harder and more often that anyone else in the league. Cucurella had two yellow-worthy swipes at his legs in the 1H and no doubt would have been off had he hacked at Harry Kane the same way. But we can all guess why Saka, a vital part of the England setup and one of the top 3 players for them, isn’t afforded the same level of protection from the refs. Hate to say it, but it is what it is.

• Rage+1 2

Three points and top of the group.  Not the best performance but better than Lens; away CL fixtures are never easy. On to the next.

Help me out here, fellow Surly assholes, because I’m not seeing it: is Raya really that much better than Ramsdale? Because he nearly had another gaffe that leveled the score. Am I just being Warden Norton-level obtuse here?

46 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Missed most the first half.   Just saw that Partey is injured again, jfc.   Guy is made of balsa wood.

His wife/gf/baby mama gave birth today. Hopefully he was just given the night off to be with her and it’s not injury related. 

13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Help me out here, fellow Surly assholes, because I’m not seeing it: is Raya really that much better than Ramsdale? Because he nearly had another gaffe that leveled the score. Am I just being Warden Norton-level obtuse here?

i’ve done a good bit of reading on this, and that statistics bear out that not only is raya a much more prolific and adventurous passer than ramsdale is, but he’s actually way more accurate as well. so while he does give away fewer passes on the whole, Ramsdale also tends to either the hoof the ball to no one or to play it side to side, where we want our GK playing with the ball at his field as if he were a midfielder- and he’s still less accurate than Raya. so for better or worse, he’s more equipped for this role, and he’s going to be our guy. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Dutch said:

So I was wrong about Partey; club announced he’s “out with a muscle issue.” 

Because of course he is. 

And lots of the online chatter (which I have no idea what is/isn't accurate) says him not playing is because of the domestic issue he had in Spain or something along those lines.   I remember hearing about this awhile ago but never really followed the story.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve done a good bit of reading on this, and that statistics bear out that not only is raya a much more prolific and adventurous passer than ramsdale is, but he’s actually way more accurate as well. so while he does give away fewer passes on the whole, Ramsdale also tends to either the hoof the ball to no one or to play it side to side, where we want our GK playing with the ball at his field as if he were a midfielder- and he’s still less accurate than Raya. so for better or worse, he’s more equipped for this role, and he’s going to be our guy. 

That may be the truth of things, but I agree with @Dutch,Raya is scaring the shit out of me with his mistakes 

Eddie's first (the insane first touch to get the ball around the defender then final touch to score) and third (a missile in to the upper corner from outside the box)... man, those reminded me of another guy who wore the 14 shirt for us and has a statue outside the stadium.  And the second was a poacher's goal.  Good on him bagging his first hat trick. Hope he makes another step forward toward becoming an elite No 9, because he offers something different than Gabriel Jesus.

ESR and Mo back on the pitch.  You love to see it, but more than that... you fucking love to see it.

Sheffield are terrible, but we did what a side with title aspirations is supposed to do to a terrible side. Loved watching a stress-free match for a change.

"Booby Prize Cup" match v West Ham this Wednesday ahead of Saudi FC. Personally, I'd like to see a rotated squad, with key guys getting a rest to make sure they're healthy for Saturday. Yeah, it's a trophy, and yeah it's wide open without City, but still. Premier League and Champions League should be the priorities this season.  Saudi play Utd on Wednesday; I'd be interested to see what side Howe selects.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

i read somewhere that arteta said we don’t expect to bring in anybody new in january. i agree though, partey has got to go, he just can’t be relied upon to stay healthy and available. i’d love for the tchouameni rumors to be true. a midfield three of odegaard, rice, and tchouameni would be 🤌🏼🤌🏼🤌🏼.

• Drool 2

16 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

It is time to move on from Partey.   This needs to be addressed this winter window.

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i read somewhere that arteta said we don’t expect to bring in anybody new in january. i agree though, partey has got to go, he just can’t be relied upon to stay healthy and available. i’d love for the tchouameni rumors to be true. a midfield three of odegaard, rice, and tchouameni would be 🤌🏼🤌🏼🤌🏼.

For too long our MF and style of play has been built around a guy who (in a good year) is only available 50% of the season.  He, like Bryan Mills, has a very unique set of skills. A set has become more expensive the past few years.  Caciedo would have been a nice replacement, but the Drunk Uncle stumbled in and fucked up that one.

I hope Arteta, Edu, and Josh are open to winter signings, if we can find the right player without paying a stupid fee*. Yes, our squad is deeper than any time in recent memory, but we all saw the impact Trossard had.

*If said stupid fee resulted in the League, I think Josh would pay it.