Arsenal FC 2023-24: Passion, Energy, Clarity

shadow_operative

So I avoided PL news all weekend for so that wouldn't get spoiled for me? 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:31 PM, Ted Lange said:

Out played them pretty handily after about 15 min, but nothing to show for it.  Blew 3 big chances, triple the xG, can’t do that vs an excellent AV side.  Unless AV has a rash of injuries they are gonna be a top 4 team. 

Exactly this. Should have had at least a draw but Villa took their chance while we wasted our three. Villa have won their last 15 home matches since we beat them last year.  Not "unbeaten" with a few draws mixed in; Won. Cannot afford to be profligate with great chances against a side that good.

Flush this "poopah" as Jamie Tartt would say and move on; hopefully ZERO first XI play in Eindhoven this week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Emery always has been a very good manager, but he had a near-impossible job in taking over late-Wenger Arsenal. Front office was unsettled (multiple sporting directors in his 1.5 seasons), a dressing room with senior players who didn't buy-in and undermined him, and fanbase clearly upset at the malaise that had set into the club.  Despite that, he had us on a ~ 10-match winning streak his first season, made the EL Final (which to this day I firmly believe we would have won had we faced a European side instead of a London Darby v Chelski in Baku), and brought Academy products Saka and ESR through to the first team. Nothing but respect for him, and I hope he leads Villa to a second place finish this year - behind us of course.

It took Arteta a few years to get the rot out of the club, fully backed by a stabilized front office of Josh and Edu, and KSE's funding once they acquired 100% ownership of the club.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Emery always has been a very good manager, but he had a near-impossible job in taking over late-Wenger Arsenal. Front office was unsettled (multiple sporting directors in his 1.5 seasons), a dressing room with senior players who didn't buy-in and undermined him, and fanbase clearly upset at the malaise that had set into the club.  Despite that, he had us on a ~ 10-match winning streak his first season, made the EL Final (which to this day I firmly believe we would have won had we faced a European side instead of a London Darby v Chelski in Baku), and brought Academy products Saka and ESR through to the first team. Nothing but respect for him, and I hope he leads Villa to a second place finish this year - behind us of course.

It took Arteta a few years to get the rot out of the club, fully backed by a stabilized front office of Josh and Edu, and KSE's funding once they acquired 100% ownership of the club.

I agree with all of that, but my grapes would still be sour with envy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, dbecks said:

Is it still set up where A1 plays B2 in the first knockout round? For some reason it’s been a while since I closely followed Champions League football…

If so, FC Copenhagen would be a nice matchup.

lol @ ManUre.

No, there's a draw for the Round of 16.  Group winners v runners-up (exceptions being you cannot face another club from your country or a a club in your group). 

ManUre... They just need to give Ten Hag another 10 years.

Good news, but fuck the FA and PGMOL. De Zerbi running onto the pitch didn't elicit a card, yet Mik got carded and suspended for jumping up to celebrate a 97' winner, in an away match, at the ground with the smallest technical areas, which suspended him for a top-4 clash.

PGMOL really fucking hates us; we shouldn't expect any calls to go our way. Maybe Kroenke needs to pay for all the refs to have an all-expense-paid vacation to Colorado to ref his grandkids' youth leagues.

Fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 2

i’ve been a supporter since 2010 and we’ve never had a player like him. i’m enthralled with his play. rice, saka, saliba, and odegaard are truly world class. gabriel is not far behind imo. if we can sign a real deal goal scorer this summer we’re going to be in position to win any trophy we compete for for years to come. i have to believe that signing a prolific striker is mikel and edu’s main focus in the transfer market. i can’t wait to see what they have up their sleeves.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1