Which wall charger did you go with for your EV

I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Total price for installation should range from $400-700 dollars assuming you put it right next to the electrical panel. The further away from the panel = more expensive. Don't let electricians give you a high quote. Dumbass neighbor paid $2k for the exact same thing I got for around $500 and I used a reputable company (Benchmark Electrical out of Frisco).

• Hook 'Em 1

got the tesla wall charger and a 240v line added.  total cost was 450 for charger and 600 for complete install (including adding the 240v line).  if you're in austin PM me, i'll give you the name of our electrician.  we've used him for a couple things now and he's great.

• Hook 'Em 1

The mobile chargers that come with most EVs don't seem to be built for frequent plugging and unplugging. A decent amount of Tesla/Ford/etc EV owners have issues after a few years of constant use of the mobile chargers. 

If you go with a wall charger, as @gsoda3 says, don't pay to much for the install. Some electricians hear "EV wall charger" install and start salivating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

The mobile chargers that come with most EVs don't seem to be built for frequent plugging and unplugging. A decent amount of Tesla/Ford/etc EV owners have issues after a few years of constant use of the mobile chargers. 

If you go with a wall charger, as @gsoda3 says, don't pay to much for the install. Some electricians hear "EV wall charger" install and start salivating. 

I use the Tesla Mobile charger.  Installer installed a cheap Nema 14-50 outlet from Home Depot.   I swapped that out with a more heavy duty Bryant outlet.  https://www.grainger.com/product/49YY93?RIID=67653942135&GID=&mid=ShipConfirmation&rfe=4847cc16d688a1e3a31492f8cd1d6b924971c311fe98fb96af82c70e6dce7354&gucid=EMT:10376092:Item:CSM-329&emcid=NA:Item-

I ended up buying another mobile connector that I keep in the car in case I ever get in a bind.  Plus, I don't have to plug and unplug the connector I have dedicated for home charging.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Getting a Tesla.  Trying to see if we should get the full wall mount charger from Tesla, a third part non proprietary charger, or just the 240v to charge the mobile charger that no longer comes with the vehicle.  

will likely drive it less than 30 miles a day

I had a 240v available that was used for a glass kiln by my wife.  I just use that. Unless you have multiple electric vehicles, I really don't see the point of the full wall charging mounts. That said, if you get one, make sure to apply for the tax credit. 

4 hours ago, zman13 said:

The mobile chargers that come with most EVs don't seem to be built for frequent plugging and unplugging.

Yeah, good point. I ended up buying a separate mobile cable for home and one to keep in the car for precisely that reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Total price for installation should range from $400-700 dollars assuming you put it right next to the electrical panel. The further away from the panel = more expensive. Don't let electricians give you a high quote. Dumbass neighbor paid $2k for the exact same thing I got for around $500 and I used a reputable company (Benchmark Electrical out of Frisco).

Funny.  My neighbor paid 2k

Literally have ten friends with Tesla and it’s split what the best solution is.   Fascinating 

I put a 240 outlet in my garage and use the mobile charger.  Split charging time between my Model 3P and her Model YLR.  Problem with the mobile charger is that when the unit gets hot, which it seems to more so during the summer months, charging may not complete.  I have to reset the circuit breaker to get it running again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2023 at 6:21 PM, closetohumping said:

Getting a Tesla.  Trying to see if we should get the full wall mount charger from Tesla, a third part non proprietary charger, or just the 240v to charge the mobile charger that no longer comes with the vehicle. 

will likely drive it less than 30 miles a day

-you can 100% get away with just using 240V for your driving.

-wall chargers are really really commoditized.  the only 'advantage' tesla one has is theres a built in button to trigger opening of the tesla charging flap.  (otherwise you just press on the flap to open it)

-small differences in smart features of chargers w.r.t. automation and monitoring and such, that most people dont care about.

i have a third party one that came with my house.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Zone Read said:

I put a 240 outlet in my garage and use the mobile charger.  Split charging time between my Model 3P and her Model YLR.  Problem with the mobile charger is that when the unit gets hot, which it seems to more so during the summer months, charging may not complete.  I have to reset the circuit breaker to get it running again.  

I live in California.  Not as hot out here.

If you do go the 240v route with the mobile charger, don't unplug it and take it with you.  Leave it plugged in and make sure you have a hook or something to hang the cord on instead of letting it dangle and put pressure on the plug.  Shit can burn your house down.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/19/2023 at 4:28 AM, closetohumping said:

ok, so getting a quote of 450 for installing NEMA charger.

you mean a NEMA outlet for more juice to use with the mobile charger?

get a quote for uprated current to support a dedicated L2 charger.  if it doesnt cost much more, and even tho for you the mobile charger will suffice, having 11kw dedicated charger is pretty choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...