USWNT 2023: Journey to a 5th Star

pacman

12 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Ohhhhh Canada.  Fuck right off, eh?

US wins shootout … G saved 3 PK and scored one herself.

Brazil on Sunday.

Canada's PK's were slightly better than average HS team. All three saves about 3-4 feet to the right and right down the middle.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Canada ties on PK 2-2 with only a few seconds left in the OT period.  On to a shootout …

Somebody who understands wrasslin’ rules in soccer can explain the ending of the OT.

Thats called a makeup call for 2012.

But seriously seems pretty straight forward, keeper missed the ball, so it’s a penalty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Canada's PK's were slightly better than average HS team. All three saves about 3-4 feet to the right and right down the middle.

I'm not even sure they were even that good. That's being super generous.

If you throw in the PK to tie the game in overtime, 4 of their 5 kicks were very bad.

Game Tying PK: Leon, if Naeher goes left instead of right, this game ends right here. That's very save-able, barely halfway between the post and middle of the net. 

image.png.22e988d9dd5e800c7190849029b1e8bd.png

Shootout kick 1, Leon again, went the other way, got a touch of height on it, but that's not great.

image.png.014d0027a99866d2f3db8f5c9e7b4190.png

Shootout 2, Huitema, identical to Leon, so again not great.

image.png.d0449111438587d83e972fb70a0ca81e.png

Shootout 3: Quinn - This is the same shot, but other direction, it has more height and a little wider. This is likely not saved even if Naeher went left.

image.png.d972412d2daae286e54dda2807a97b28.png

Shootout 4: Fleming, this shot is right before the save is made. Same as the Leon and Huitema misses, but with less height.

image.png.f33cf0d69f9986e2d41582be6266f00b.png

The US showed how this was done. Smith and Naeher both put their PKs just inside the post and even though the keeper guess right, couldn't save them. Horan's winner is about the same height as the Canadian saves, but further out (it was at the C of CUP, not the P). Even the Albert miss was barely over the bar, that's not saved if she gets it down a foot to keep it on goal.

Anyway - suck it Canada.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Grande Mart said:

Just got around to watching today's match. The call that gave Canada the PK to tie was terrible. 

No it wasn’t. Dunn stepped in and clipped the Canadian’s foot. The announcers claiming it was “soft” are idiots. It wasn’t a vicious tackle or worthy of a card, but it was certainly a foul. 

Dunn is a massive liability at left back. The other goal was her fault, too. She lost her man tracking back, then didn’t even try to recover. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

No it wasn’t. Dunn stepped in and clipped the Canadian’s foot. The announcers claiming it was “soft” are idiots. It wasn’t a vicious tackle or worthy of a card, but it was certainly a foul. 

Dunn is a massive liability at left back. The other goal was her fault, too. She lost her man tracking back, then didn’t even try to recover. 

No, The canadian player dove, Dunn never touched her foot. Pretty obvious.  The first goal was mostly a mistake by Naeher who didn't need to go out that far when there were other defenders in position to shut down the attack which is also probably why Dunn was not in a hurry to get back.

Edited by Grande Mart

I went back and watched the highlights, I gotta say that's close. The problem is two fold for Dunn on this:

• She got beat, so her move to play the ball is coming from behind
  • Dunn impeded Leon on the play

You combine the two, I very much see why that ends up being called. I won't disagree that Leon sells the foul by going down on the contact, but Dunn screwed up getting into that position in the first place.

I didn't see a definitive replay, and didn't get to watch the whole game so no idea how the ref was calling it overall, but what I saw in real time looked light to me. Good job by the canuck drawing the call. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Watch the highlights. You’re dead wrong about that. It was a very clear foul. 

I rewatched them before I replied to you the first time.  Looks to me like Dunns foot comes down on the ground next to the Canadian without making contact.

1:40- 1:41 looks like the best shot to me.

Smart play by the Canuck to draw the foul though at that point in the game. and you are correct in that Dunn seems to have lost a step.

Edited by Grande Mart

IMHO, this is the key point right here:

image.thumb.png.6fc1330db271a7446d354c2ecf664b6c.png

Before I said there are 2 things here, but there is really 4:

• Dunn gets absolutely ZERO ball on this play - this is easily her biggest crime of the whole play
  • She's making the play from behind, not shoulder to shoulder. If this play is shoulder to shoulder, this call likely isn't made. This is because Dunn had to make up space after getting blown past on the give and go.
  • Dunn lightly gets Leon's foot, probably knocking her off balance
  • Dunn's left arm, she is pulling back Leon's right arm on this play, which does lead me to the next part:

Leon is very much diving here, at first I thought she wasn't because there is no way she could have forced the dive that quick after her leg was kicked, but in watching this 20 times + I realized she started the dive when the hand was on her arm. Once Dunn kicked her foot, it was over and that's a penalty. 

I will say if Leon doesn't go down, this penalty isn't given, and she only goes down because of the dive. But at the same time, this is still a foul.

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That's very light, but well sold, and Dunn didn't do herself any favors trying to recover. 

…because she has zero feel for the positional aspect of defending. Dunn is an excellent second-team forward or midfielder who has been forced into a first-team fullback spot. She’s never been a natural there but was able to cover up for a lot of positional / technique errors with pure speed and hustle. But as she ages, those aspects of her game are fading.

Naeher’s play on Canada’s first goal wasn’t great, but she was forced to help defend a 2-on-1 created by Dunn’s poor positioning, awareness, and hustle.