Dr. Question about creatine monohydrate

SKJ

So.....

Any doctor or scientist could maybe help me with this?

My son is 17.5 years old and has gotten into weight training. 

So,  I got him some good protien supplement and a creatine supplement. 

My son's doctor told my wife he shouldn't be taking creatine because it crystallizes in the liver and is generally not safe. 

Sure,  OK, it's not a big deal... other than the fact that I cannot find one study,  peer reviewed or even some junk science study that makes this claim, and,  in fact,  have found several that say it is actually helpful to the liver when eating a higher fat diet (in mice,  that is...)

What gives? Does this doctor know something that isn't published?

Edited by SKJ
Speeling ees haard

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-creatine/art-20347591

And for potential liver negative effects you could pay for this article: https://www.eurekaselect.com/article/68934 or free 

I already came across this articles in Google scholar... I've been reading them to try and figure out what this doctor is talking about

2 hours ago, SKJ said:

So.....

Any doctor or scientist could maybe help me with this?

My son is 17.5 years old and has gotten into weight training. 

So,  I got him some good protien supplement and a creatine supplement. 

My son's doctor told my wife he shouldn't be taking creatine because it crystallizes in the liver and is generally not safe. 

Sure,  OK, it's not a big deal... other than the fact that I cannot find one study,  peer reviewed or even some junk science study that makes this claim, and,  in fact,  have found several that say it is actually helpful to the liver when eating a higher fat diet (in mice,  that is...)

What gives? Does this doctor know something that isn't published?

Creatine is fine. 

Your doctor sounds like a wuss.

Let the boy have his gainz.

I honestly am not sure creatine is even worth it. But as a young stupid teen, I took more of it the the daily dose from probably 14 to about 25. Im 40 now and no issues. Based on my sports high school and college experience, we’d be in the middle of a liver failure epidemic if those claims (which were circulating in the 90s) were true. 

I’ve taken it in my 40s for several years at the minimum daily dose until recently. At my last physical my doctor noted my blood creatine levels were elevated, and when I said I was taking creatine, he told me to stop. He didn’t mention anything about the liver, but said that it can tax the kidneys. I don’t know if he was basing that on any peer reviewed studies, but I generally listen to my doctor.

And I don’t think it’s any magic elixir. It might help some people who are weight training, but I think it’s marginal. If it really had the ability to make you that much more swole, everybody would be taking it. Just consume the right amount of protein and carbs, with a lot of veggies, and you’ll be fine without creatine and a bunch of other bodybuilding supplements.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Creatine is fine,  but I doubt your kid is doing serious enough weight training for it to matter. 

That first article that I posted from the Mayo mentioned some positive health effects. Negative effects are seemingly limited to going over the RDA. I haven't looked into enough to give a medical opinion but on the surface, it seems relatively safe.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:05 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Creatine is safe for any and everyone except those with kidney or liver disease. Creatine is also unnecessary for 90% of the population. You need a new doctor.

This right here.  I'd argue about the 90% of the population thing but it's not even relevant to the question.

Expect some weight gain as creatine causes muscle to hold water.  I'd say anywhere between 5-7 pounds if you load it (heavy doses right at the start) or slow gradual weight gain as you slowly introduce it (5 grams per day).  I saw some benefits in my performance but not enough to stay on it long-term.  Also, you do get some creatine from red meat but not enough for it to have any benefit alone without straight creatine consumption.  Personally, I don't really think it's necessary at all, but the nutrition industry loves selling shit.

If you’re someone who goes balls to the wall and reps to failure or one-ish in the tank, creatine might get you another couple of reps per set, especially the second or third set. That’ll add up if you can maintain that over time. 

I want to be that motivated, but I’m going to have to prove it to myself before I believe me. 

For someone in a structured setting or with serious goals, it pretty much can’t hurt. For almost everyone else, it’s a way to lose money and gain water. Imo. 

Also, yeah, another doctor. 

Thanks everyone...

I'm not too keen on the benefits versus value equation,  I am simply wondering what in the world this doctor is talking about. Like I said,  I read quite a bit about it before even getting it for him,  peer reviewed studies about it, then hearing this from my wife after getting it for him was a real shock.  I never came across it before,  and then couldn't find anything referencing it after. 

Add to that it's been a safe supplement for around 30 years, I couldn't understand. 

And I know there's quite a range of careers on this site,  figured I'd ask if this was a real thing. 

Thanks

Thanks everyone...
I'm not too keen on the benefits versus value equation,  I am simply wondering what in the world this doctor is talking about. Like I said,  I read quite a bit about it before even getting it for him,  peer reviewed studies about it, then hearing this from my wife after getting it for him was a real shock.  I never came across it before,  and then couldn't find anything referencing it after. 
Add to that it's been a safe supplement for around 30 years, I couldn't understand. 
And I know there's quite a range of careers on this site,  figured I'd ask if this was a real thing. 
Thanks

This guy is a world champion power lifter and also has his PhD.

https://biolayne.com/reps/issue-11/creatine-for-endurance/

https://biolayne.com/articles/supplementation/creatine-work-one-take/

Creative was big in the late 90’s/early 00’s. Seemed like every health magazine was pitching it. I had quite a few friends that I worked out with that took it.

Never saw the need myself. They had minimal improvement taking the stuff. They started steroids for while after that.

Creatine became popular in the 90s when it got out that the Nebraska FB team was using it and making crazy strength gains. 

Of course they were also taking massive quantities of anabolic steroids, which was actually causing the gains 

Creatine at high enough doses to make a difference can stress the kidneys (fine as long as you stay hydrated) and causes water retention (bad weight gain) along with any increase in lean mass, and can cause muscle cramping 

if you are going to spend money on supplements I would spend it on a good recovery supplement and BCAA