Great American Solar Eclipse: April 2024 edition

The Hammwolds are loading up the Wagon Queen Family RV rental and heading to your beautiful state to watch the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse. We will be traveling in from North Carolina, through Tennessee and Arkansas, before arriving in the Great State of Texas, and returning through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Lesser Carolina.

Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated as we plan out our route

Austin will be our destination for a few days immediately after the eclipse, but we’re planning on being a little closer to the center path of totality for the big show

We’ve considered Waco, but I’m interested in hearing thoughts about another city or town North of Austin

Here’s the path:

abd7f999f0e727683bf0154b16bef158.jpg

After all y’all help us decide where to watch the actual eclipse, I’ll need answers to simple questions like best barbecue, best tacos, and best brewery along the way and in Austin

Thank you in advance

I highly recommend Copperas Cove.  It boasts the only Michelin 5* restaurant in Texas and is only ten minutes from the beach. They also have hundreds of listings on airbnb and almost all of them can be delivered to your location. 

😇

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

I highly recommend Copperas Cove.  It boasts the only Michelin 5* restaurant in Texas and is only ten minutes from the beach. They also have hundreds of listings on airbnb and almost all of them can be delivered to your location. 

😇

Those army folk know how to dine. 10 minutes if no traffic. Usually lots of people headed to the beach. Bring your surfboard 🏄 

• 7 months later...

I've tentatively planned a 9-hour drive to central Texas area with the fam to get into ~3.5+ minutes of totality.  The weather forecast is currently not abiding.  No fires at least, but likely cloudy... hopefully forecast changes (source=Space City Weather):

PXL_20240401_170036779_MP.thumb.jpg.2ff2e86839fe297f3e39716d835d879e.jpg