Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

This imo is what’s gonna keep us from a championship. S.Carolina isn’t unbeatable but they can score an are athletic with a good big. Not just them but most SEC teams we will see next season We have to get better 

• Like 1

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not get what we worked on for the last week. Just passing it, no one moving or trying to shoot it

Would like to see us go at Papawhatever and get her out of the game and force the freshman in or Jackson who has 4

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I would say Kansas is pretty lucky to only be down 11. 

We are 8/15 from the FT line and Shaylee has missed 2 or 3 threes she normally makes. 

Booker has also been a little off on that jumper. Usually very reliable 

12 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Good win. Kansas was peaking at the right time winning 9 of their last 10 games in the B12. 

Will be tons of K-State fans there on Monday, hopefully our platoon of inside players can keep Lee in check.

Vic needs to figure out how WV forced 21 turnovers bc that’s all that kept them in the game. Did manage 7 more FTs than KSU

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

So it comes down to the Stanford / USC game plus us winning for #1 seed 

Yep. We want Stanford to win and then of course we need to win the Big 12 tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

We don't have enough women willing to shoot. Almost like they're playing scared. Maybe Booker, Moore and Jones can get us over the hump. 

It really seemed to me that Schaefer was insisting they work the ball inside for some reason. Maybe to slow the pace of the game and save their legs for Monday/Tuesday? Maybe to draw fouls on their non-athletic centers who -- once saddled with four fouls each -- really became irrelevant and enabled our girls to penetrate and hit short jumpers/layouts? I'm not sure why -- especially when it was Holle's 8-0 run with two threes to start the fourth quarter that finally blew the game open. 

It was too bad West Virginia couldn't hold on -- the T-Mobile Center was PACKED with Kansas State fans. It's definitely going to be a "road game" tomorrow, especially with Iowa State and OU fans rooting against Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

USC up by 9 at half against Stanford. Stanford has a #1 seed locked so they aren't playing their best

Stanford ain’t even trying. We are going to have to win the Big 12 tournament and hope our higher NET keeps us ahead of USC. Otherwise I think we are #5

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stanford ain’t even trying. We are going to have to win the Big 12 tournament and hope our higher NET keeps us ahead of USC. Otherwise I think we are #5

Even if NET slightly favors us, this result gives the committee the #1 seeds they wanted all along. Undefeated USCe, Tara Vandeveer, Hollywood JuJu, and Caitlyn Clark. Texas is out of the conversation if Stanford loses this one against USCe

I guess I’m naive, but if we win the Big 12 tournament we will have 4 losses. USC and Stanford will each have 5 losses. That should be enough for a one seed. How does it square the circle if both Stanford and USC are one seeds?

7 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Welp guess we gotta do it as a #2

There’s functionally not much difference between between #4 overall and #5 overall. I just wanted the 1

Just now, 86txex said:

I guess I’m naive, but if we win the Big 12 tournament we will have 4 losses. USC and Stanford will each have 5 losses. That should be enough for a one seed. How does it square the circle if both Stanford and USC are one seeds?

The last committee reveal had 2 PAC 12 teams in the top 4. They made it clear that the #1 NET was going to get 2 if UCLA or USC won the PAC tournament 

18 hours ago, Reality Check said:

It really seemed to me that Schaefer was insisting they work the ball inside for some reason. Maybe to slow the pace of the game and save their legs for Monday/Tuesday? Maybe to draw fouls on their non-athletic centers who -- once saddled with four fouls each -- really became irrelevant and enabled our girls to penetrate and hit short jumpers/layouts? I'm not sure why -- especially when it was Holle's 8-0 run with two threes to start the fourth quarter that finally blew the game open. 

It was too bad West Virginia couldn't hold on -- the T-Mobile Center was PACKED with Kansas State fans. It's definitely going to be a "road game" tomorrow, especially with Iowa State and OU fans rooting against Texas. 

As it turned out, Booker, Moore and Jones did  get us over the top, along with that key outburst by Holle. I'm hoping Gonzales can find her shot and the confidence to take it, as that would really help open up the floor against future opponents.

We know we're heavily dependent on Booker to create. She's obviously been amazing, but in Harmon's absence we're just one rolled ankle or foul trouble away from having no reliable initiator on offense. What we could do about that I'm not sure, but getting more from Gonzales really would help. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vic was interviewed during the KSU-WV game and said something like “we'll work on 3-point shooting in the summer, but, it's too late to change things this late in the season”

We are winning with inside and Booker’s pull-up game so I dont see him going away from that in game #33

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vic was interviewed during the KSU-WV game and said something like “we'll work on 3-point shooting in the summer, but, it's too late to change things this late in the season”

We are winning with inside and Booker’s pull-up game so I dont see him going away from that in game #33

Texas is 1-3 vs the teams most likely left to play in the B12 (if Texas wins tonight) so we are not winning against our toughest competition. And that's a big if since it's basically a home game for the cats. Shaylee dropping some 3's would do wonders to help open the inside for Taylor, Aliyah and Deyona.

#6 Texas (28-4, Big 12) vs. #16 Kansas State (25-6, Big 12)
Monday, March 11 at 4:00 PM CT
T-Mobile Center | Kansas City, Mo.
TELEVISION: The game will be on ESPN2. Brenda VanLengen (pxp) and Sheryl Swoopes (analyst) will call the action.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM

Kansas State Leaders
Ayoka Lee: 19.9 PTS, 8.4 REB, 2.8 BLK, 62.1 FG%
Serena Sundell: 12 PTS, 5.4 AST, 1.3 STL, 54.3 FG%, 37.5 3PT% (30-for-80)
Jaelyn Glenn: 7.2 PTS, 2 STL, 40 FG%, 33.1 3PT% (41-for-124)
Gabby Gregory: 9 PTS, 35 FG%, 28 3PT% (45-for-161)
Zyanna Walker: 7 PTS, 42.9 FG%, 29.3 3PT% (17-for-58)
@ 2 Iowa               W 65-58
vs Wisconsin        W 75-57
vs Western KY     W 77-61
vs 18 North Car  W 63-56

vs 5 Iowa             L 77-70
vs Jackson St      W 79-37
vs McNeese         W 101-39
vs Missouri           W 84-56
vs North Florida   W 79-53
vs Oral Roberts    W 102-59
vs Southern          W 84-52
@ Cincinnati         W 66-41
vs Houston           W 72-38
@ UCF                  W 72-56
vs Oklahoma        W 74-57
vs 10Texas           W 61-58 **
@ TCU                  W Forfeit
vs Kansas            W 69-58
@ 13 Baylor         W 58-55
vs BYU                W 67-65

@ Oklahoma       L 66-63  
@ 12 Texas         L 61-54 **

vs Ok St             W 69-68
@ Iowa State     L 96-93
vs UCF              W 60-58
vs 22 WV           W 73-64

@ Kansas          L 58-55
vs Iowa State     L 82-76

@ Texas Tech   W 73-49
vs WV                 W 65-62

vs 6 Texas     3/11 4:00 pm ESPN2

2 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Texas is 1-3 vs the teams most likely left to play in the B12 (if Texas wins tonight) so we are not winning against our toughest competition. And that's a big if since it's basically a home game for the cats. Shaylee dropping some 3's would do wonders to help open the inside for Taylor, Aliyah and Deyona.

I agree. Though those 3 losses are by a combined 9 points. It’s not like we got blown out in any of them

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

As good as our recruiting class is, no one in it is what you'd call a long-range bomber. I really hope we can find one the portal, because every serious contender has to make 3s. 

Agree. We are pretty full pending any transfers out. Which I expect. And I know who I think based on playing time  

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Sounds like the expectation is to have rori for 2 more seasons now, so that might have impacted the roster planning at the guard spot. 

If no one leaves next year, we have:

COVID SR:

Holle
Jones
Gaston

SR: (both have extra seasons due to medical RS)

Moore
Harmon

JR: 

Jak
Graves
Muhammad
Codio

SO:

Boutilier
Booker
Maul
Herron

FR:

Carlton
Lee
Preston

That puts us at 16 - Graves will probably go off scholarship (we had an open one so she got it for this year), so that knocks us to the max of 15.  We will need attrition if we want to find a 3 point shooter in the portal.