Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

8 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I can’t see the Stars making it out the second round with Oettinger playing this poorly. He’s looking like hammered dogshit. 

With all this talent, its hard to believe that Jake is the weak link. Time to give wedge a look-see. 

Posted (edited)

that wasn't Otter's loss. the team went into protection mode and much like any other time we've done that it doesn't turn out well. if we had continued the same game we played for 40 minutes, this would have been a different outcome. worse loss of the season by far - only because it was ours to win.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that wasn't Otter's loss. the team went into protection mode and much like any other time we've done that it doesn't turn out well. if we had continued the same game we played for 20 minutes, this would have been a different outcome. worse loss of the season by far - only because it was ours to win.

He was seeing the puck like shit last night. Not like those goals were point blank or with a bunch of scrums in front of him. He just couldn’t track the puck. He now has a sub .900 save percentage on the season. Both him and Wedgewood are having disastrous seasons per analytics

https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm

Went to the Texas Stars game tonight vs Rockford (Blackhawks). Fun game. Won 5-3. Uh ... interesting reffing. Late in the first period we had 5 guys in the box - at the same time. That'll probably be the only time I'll ever see that.  Good time.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, wood said:

Went to the Texas Stars game tonight vs Illinois. Fun game. Won 5-3. Uh ... interesting reffing. Late in the first period we had 5 guys in the box - at the same time. That'll probably be the only time I'll ever see that.  Good time.

was there too! buddy has season tix and invited me. first game this season. apparently before I arrived we were in a bit of a dive. glad I could help. :)

16 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

He was seeing the puck like shit last night. Not like those goals were point blank or with a bunch of scrums in front of him. He just couldn’t track the puck. He now has a sub .900 save percentage on the season. Both him and Wedgewood are having disastrous seasons per analytics

and yet we're tied for first in the central. I'll take shitty save % as long as we keep winning. I'm not worried about the goaltending come playoffs. we're still working in new players and have reinforcements coming. I think the GAA will go down as the season closes and will get tight come playoffs. but, we shall see!

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

was there too! buddy has season tix and invited me. first game this season. apparently before I arrived we were in a bit of a dive. glad I could help. :)

WTF was up with the refs late? We score & then after the faceoff Borque is going after the puck behind the goal. He gets tackled  from behind within seconds and is on his back with a guy on top of him the entire time. He gets 4 minutes for Roughing. What in the actual fuck? Then, there's the guy taking down one of our guys on the boards, then starts throwing fists outta the blue after he has him on the ice. Ref is literally standing there watching the whole thing for 5-10 seconds and just stands there & does nothing. It was truly bizarre.

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wood said:

WTF was up with the refs late? We score & then after the faceoff Borque is going after the puck behind the goal. He gets tackled  from behind within seconds and is on his back with a guy on top of him the entire time. He gets 4 minutes for Roughing. What in the actual fuck? Then, there's the guy taking down one of our guys on the boards, then starts throwing fists outta the blue after he has him on the ice. Ref is literally standing there watching the whole thing for 5-10 seconds and just stands there & does nothing. It was truly bizarre.

I dunno, it was truly bizarre. but as my buddy said to me, "These are AHL players and these are AHL refs."

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

There have been numerous home games where the refs look like Big XII rejects and not in the Stars favor. They called icing on the Stars on a long dump that the Star forward was a step ahead of the defender. Of course, the Stars have taken a huge step back to the middle of the standings

Starting to get worried about Otter.

You can’t win hockey games if your goalie can’t make basic saves. Oettinger is playing horribly and Wedgewood is a below average backup. 

I love Jim Nill. But how he (or anybody) could think Scooter Wedgewood as the #2 on a Cup contender was a good idea is fucking beyond me.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I love Jim Nill. But how he (or anybody) could think Scooter Wedgewood as the #2 on a Cup contender was a good idea is fucking beyond me.

You don’t need a #2 in the playoffs. You need an above average #1. And our #1 looks like Goldberg from the beginning of the first Mighty Ducks movie. 

Fleury would be nice to have even though old. I think he got signed when wedge did, or it was close.

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

You don’t need a #2 in the playoffs. You need an above average #1. And our #1 looks like Goldberg from the beginning of the first Mighty Ducks movie. 

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

I’m pretty sure he was talking about the regular season grind.

Whenever you need it, honestly. At least that gives you an option in the event your #1 just isn't getting it done. I think Vegas rolled through three goalies in last year's Cup run. (Just looked it up, only played two but the goalie who made the most regular season starts wasn't one of them. Can't remember if he was benched late in year or wasn't able to get back from injury.) Vegas also traded for Jonathan Quick just in case. We've decided to roll with Otter and if something is wrong with him, we fall back on ... Wedgewood? Woof.

Edited by C-Man

This is the first game I'm actually nervous about in a long while. I have walked into every game since basically the allstar game believing we would win. guess that's what made the (few, at the time) losses hard pills. but now I actually have doubt about whether we're as good as we should be. hope they shut up that Doubty McDoubterson tonight and also don't dishonor Mo

anyone going to the ceremony? post pics!

This is the first game I'm actually nervous about in a long while. I have walked into every game since basically the allstar game believing we would win. guess that's what made the (few, at the time) losses hard pills. but now I actually have doubt about whether we're as good as we should be. hope they shut up that Doubty McDoubterson tonight and also don't dishonor Mo
anyone going to the ceremony? post pics!

Pussy!!!!

Wedge looking sharp so far. Maybe he is newly focused and knows he can make some money with Jake sucking ass.

Wish I was there. I may go Wednesday but for sure I’ll be there when EDM is in town. Love watching 97 skate even though I hate him (for not being on my team).
  • Haha 1

Hoping this time off is good for both Otter and Wedgie. Wedge shined (shone?) in the period Otter was hurt, so perhaps him knowing it's his crease for a bit will keep him sharp. At the same time, that should give Jake enough confidence that he can take his time getting his form (and head) back to playoff shape. I'd rather this be happening now than two or three weeks from now.