Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

The season always kicks off with the Traverse City Tournament, and that starts today. All games will be live streamed, so check out the future Stars.

Here's to a fun and successful season!

https://www.centreice.org/page/show/467296-nhl-prospect-tournament?fbclid=IwAR1kKqx-yzZUqD3DDzm19TUcvTrdZDYqzKwkOwBDxSPsrjkL1UO0n2iFZB4

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Not sure if it was face, but the cheapest I saw on TM was $100/each.

holy shit. my buddy took me as his +1 when his normal game date bowed out. he mentioned that same thing as it was advertised as an NHL game, but it was definitely not NHL-grade. I had no idea they were that much, though. That's robbery.

I did see Jamie, Roope, and Nill on the concourse. They don't look nearly as large when they're not on skates (Nill excluded, of course). Anyway, i had a good time. but it's hockey, how can you not?

holy shit. my buddy took me as his +1 when his normal game date bowed out. he mentioned that same thing as it was advertised as an NHL game, but it was definitely not NHL-grade. I had no idea they were that much, though. That's robbery.
I did see Jamie, Roope, and Nill on the concourse. They don't look nearly as large when they're not on skates (Nill excluded, of course). Anyway, i had a good time. but it's hockey, how can you not?

Wait a minute buddy….

Are you saying they look like they aren’t as tall without skates on?
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:42 PM, Beau Vine said:

Not sure if it was face, but the cheapest I saw on TM was $100/each.

That's hilarious. In April for game 2 first round of the playoffs I bought last minute day of game tickets 6 rows from the ice for $95 each. Who would pay $100 for preseason? That's like paying to watch practice

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Pretty good lineup for Cedar Park to use too. They should have a good year.

exactly. this is the first year in a while I don't think we are going into the season with at least 2/3 of an AHL line. We have 4 legit NHL lines this season. And those waiting in the wings can play. TStars will be a lot of fun this season. 

Running it back with the same D lines that were Jeckyl/Hyde in the playoffs is going to make it interesting. That and backup goalie appear to be the weak spots in the team again, and let's hope Wedge stays healthy and plays well enough so Otter isn't a shell of himself if we get to the 2nd/3rd rounds again. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Last year was soooo shitty, watching Curtis McKenzie be the best player on the ice.

Hey Central champs isn't too bad, but I think they'll be better this year. I think I'm going to try to make the Tucson game on Saturday. I'll con the wife into it by including a shopping stop for her.

Edit: Tickets purchased on Row B, Let's Go (baby) Stars!

Edited by SimonBolivar

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sam Steel

Looks like he scored 50 goals in 2016 in the WHL for Regina and it was enough for the Ducks to take him at 30th.

He hasn't scored more than 10 in the NHL. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sam-steel

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=171350

Craig Smith is 34. 

Drafted in 09 at 98th by the Press. Looks like he has stayed healthy though and was getting about 20 goals a year with the Preds. Traded to Boston and then Washington? 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99554

Craig Smith's salary is $1,000,000 and his cap hit is $1,000,000 for the 2023-24 season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/craig-smith

Mr. Steel's mustache alone deserves a picture

licensed-image.jpeg

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

Somebody educate me on Sam Steel and Craig Smith.

This might jog your memory on Steel:

As for Smith, he's a journeyman 3rd/4th liner. He and Steel will likely rotate in and out of the lineup on the 4th line with Faksa and Dellandrea. As I said above, this is the first season in a while where our 4th line wasn't mostly AHLers. In fact, we have 0 AHLers in the opening lineup. That might be a first in the 30 years I've been watching these guys.

I agree the D needs work. I don't think we're done. I still see a move early in the season, likely a package deal to get a top 6 d-man. Maybe not, but that's my hunch.

However it shakes out, it's gonna be a fun season. Go Stars!

• Hook 'Em 2

Fired up for opening night.   Season ticket holder this year so making it.   Hard for me to get really invested in hockey (or NBA for that matter) in during football season (and this year we actually have baseball to keep us occupied as well) but looking forward to the season.  My seat partner and I will almost certainly be selling more games than we attend so if anyone needs a pair to a random game PM me to potentially cut out fees.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Fired up for opening night.   Season ticket holder this year so making it.   Hard for me to get really invested in hockey (or NBA for that matter) in during football season (and this year we actually have baseball to keep us occupied as well) but looking forward to the season.  My seat partner and I will almost certainly be selling more games than we attend so if anyone needs a pair to a random game PM me to potentially cut out fees.

what section are your seats, just for reference?

123 row J.  Went to a preseason game and like the seats.   We preferred the end where Stars shoot 2X but pickings were slim on that side.  We got an email over the summer that they actually sold out season tix in the lower bowl this year for the first time.  Pretty crazy.

Also a note, Zavala BBQ is apparently opening a booth near 121 beginning tonight.  Hoping to try it out.  Not sure how high quality BBQ can keep standards in an arena environment but I'm betting he tries to make it work.  He's extended family of a good friend from college (that is long term Surly lurker (seldom poster)) and I've been meaning to try his place in Grand Prarie for a while so may do that tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

This might jog your memory on Steel:

As for Smith, he's a journeyman 3rd/4th liner. He and Steel will likely rotate in and out of the lineup on the 4th line with Faksa and Dellandrea. As I said above, this is the first season in a while where our 4th line wasn't mostly AHLers. In fact, we have 0 AHLers in the opening lineup. That might be a first in the 30 years I've been watching these guys.

I agree the D needs work. I don't think we're done. I still see a move early in the season, likely a package deal to get a top 6 d-man. Maybe not, but that's my hunch.

However it shakes out, it's gonna be a fun season. Go Stars!

and for no other reason than he's awesome I wish we could somehow get Josh Morrissey. Dude is languishing on a bad team