Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We’ve given up three shorties tonigh!?!?

Wedgewood sucks. We need a better backup.

None of the 3 were his fault. 40 shots against as well.  Plus the pregame blurb about he had the highest save % last season of goalies that started 20-29 games, an attempt at sorting true backup goalies. 

I guess my point is you may want a better backup, but where do you find one that’s actually better?

14 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is 9 points in 5 games good?

Yeah, but it's kind of standard, isn't it?  It's the exact same record we had five games into the season last year.

We have a real issue from last year that doesn't look like it's being addressed in the early going this year: Otter can't be expected to play 60 games and not wear out late in the playoffs.  We have to get him some rest, but that probably requires an upgrade at the backup goalie position.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah, but it's kind of standard, isn't it?  It's the exact same record we had five games into the season last year.

We have a real issue from last year that doesn't look like it's being addressed in the early going this year: Otter can't be expected to play 60 games and not wear out late in the playoffs.  We have to get him some rest, but that probably requires an upgrade at the backup goalie position.

Disagree. I don't think you can expect any backup to thrive when you are 7th in the league in shot attempts allowed. You want to be 32nd. I think we have to address the defense. It broke down in the playoffs last year and it's already starting to show cracks this season. I think Nill has a hard, but necessary, decision to make. I've been on record before saying I think it's going to be a package deal of a forward and a d-man and possibly even a random prospect for a top-4 d-man. 

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Disagree. I don't think you can expect any backup to thrive when you are 7th in the league in shot attempts allowed. You want to be 32nd. I think we have to address the defense. It broke down in the playoffs last year and it's already starting to show cracks this season. I think Nill has a hard, but necessary, decision to make. I've been on record before saying I think it's going to be a package deal of a forward and a d-man and possibly even a random prospect for a top-4 d-man. 

I think that's a very fair point.

But even with an upgrade, are you suggesting that we just roll with Wedgewood?  Cause I'm not sure I love that.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's a very fair point.

But even with an upgrade, are you suggesting that we just roll with Wedgewood?  Cause I'm not sure I love that.

Yes, because he's a better goalie than his stats show (he's historically played on bad teams or teams that give up a ton of shots) and really I don't know who you get to replace him. Many teams are stugglebussing it with goalies this season (save Boston) and most of those are working in prospects because the NHL pool is shallow. Either teams are holding onto their starters and premier backups or there simply isn't the talent there was the last decade. I personally think this partially accounts for the increase in goals league-wide.