San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

19 hours ago, thepop said:

Playing ourselves out of a top 3 pick at this rate, which is how it should have been anyway. Pre season I wanted to bet the over on the win total, but it took longer than I thought for the team to gel and the Sochan experiment didn’t help.  

You can have my $500 preseason over bet at a very reasonable rate. 😂

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Kermit said:

Man, I don’t know. That dude is so immature. He’ can’t log off social media. He’d be great if he could act his age. Plus, they’d want their picks back and those picks might actually bring back some serious talent seeing as how they’re looking to blow it up. We’ve got their 2025, which is the Cooper Flagg draft and 2026 swap rights (Dybantsa/Boozer draft). Is that worth it for Murray. Maybe we’ll find out, but the lack of Spurs mentions in their constant search of shopping him probably means the Spurs have no interest in returning any of their picks. That team is a dumpster fire. My worry is that they’re running for Trae, which might actually kill Mitch. 

I don't see them going after Murray with any sort of gusto. It would be an especially terrible look for Atlanta to give him back to the Spurs for considerably less than they gave up. The price tag is going to be high for Young, too. Notwithstanding what it would do to my health, the Spurs have never been big buyers in the trade market. They don't operate like that.

They aren't going to unload all of the assets they've collected for any sort of quick fix, and they certainly aren't going to blow out their salary cap. Keep in mind, the Spurs aren't owned by Steve Ballmer or the guy from Phoenix or the VC Bros in San Francisco. This is still a small market team. They are going to need those assets in the future to stay under the cap and still be competitive once extensions start kicking in. Ideally, they will keep kicking some of them down the road. They are playing the long game.

I do think they will make some moves around the margins to get better -- sign some reasonably priced vet in free agency, or maybe move a heavily protected pick for a vet that also gives another team some cap relief. That would be the smart move. I wouldn't be shocked if they talked themselves into Tre Jones being their starting point guard. They seem big on sniffing their own farts. Actually, if they could lock that sumbitch in the gym over the summer to where he could consistently knock down an open three, I probably wouldn't be that opposed to it, myself. He's become a really good finisher in the mid range and around the basket (floaters, etc.). I'd much rather have him at that bargain contract than Trae Young who is impossible to hide on defense.

Tre Jones last 10 games (Spurs are 5-5):

First Last G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc +/-
2024-01-10 2024-01-27 10 10 28.8 4.7 8.1 .580 1.0 2.5 .400 1.8 1.8 1.000 0.8 2.9 3.7 7.9 1.5 0.1 1.3 1.5 12.2 15.0 5.9
Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

It's amazing how few guys on this roster would get any meaningful playing time on any other team.

Wemby: spoon feeds teammate for easy layup

Teammate: lol im gonna pass it back out to the 3 pt line instead of taking a layup

3 minutes ago, thepop said:

Stop wearing those ugly western theme jerseys it’s always a guaranteed blowout 

Man, those are the best new jerseys they’ve had in ages. Love that design. The court is a work of art. Also, maybe leave Zach Collins at home for the rodeo road trip if he’s going to start cheap-shoting the other team’s best player.

Edited by Kermit

On 2/3/2024 at 11:49 PM, hornfan785 said:

It's amazing how few guys on this roster would get any meaningful playing time on any other team.

It took me a couple months into the season, but I eventually gathered that we were "tanking" (by choice or not) when we consistently had guys like Champagnie, Wesley, Branham, Bassey, etc. playing real minutes. Then have convos about guys like Barlow and Mamu enter the convo as upgrades or competition or whatever. Some of them certainly seem to have higher ceilings than others, but really the convos about these guys in particular seem like they should be about whether their G-league time is improving them and if they deserve a shot at a few big-league minutes here and there. Not whether they deserve 20-30 minutes a night helping us lose 95% of our games. Unless that's by design (and at this point it's obvious it is part of the process). 

Glad the break is coming up so that my nausea levels will subside. I don’t know when my visceral hatred of watching Keldon play basketball started, but it’s reaching annoying levels and triggering anxiety I didn’t know I had. Dude just tanks games that are winnable. There was a stretch at the end of the third quarter where he was personably responsible for a huge Orlando run. He really is the perfect tank commander. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Kermit said:

Glad the break is coming up so that my nausea levels will subside. I don’t know when my visceral hatred of watching Keldon play basketball started, but it’s reaching annoying levels and triggering anxiety I didn’t know I had. Dude just tanks games that are winnable. There was a stretch at the end of the third quarter where he was personably responsible for a huge Orlando run. He really is the perfect tank commander. 

I want him off the tour, Doug. He might be the most painfully mediocre player i've ever watched.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:05 PM, Pam Cummings said:

I want him off the tour, Doug. He might be the most painfully mediocre player i've ever watched.

He really is. He's bang average at basically everything. Ultimate replacement level SF.