More thoughts/scenes from Inglewood (east of LAX)

Brisketexan

See my post about Somali grub in this forum -- had a damned fine late lunch while killing time waiting for my daughter to land.

1c117c02db5a46ddf7fa272d912f418c.jpg

ce181ed723903108188a0a7bc92938c7.jpg

4b06903351ac0f084e48f44779909e81.jpg

After lunch, I figured I'd go someplace more sanitized, so I could sit on my computer and work, plug it in to charge, drink a big iced tea.  Hey, there;'s a McDonald's on Century, close to the airport.  Perfect.  I head over..  JFC.  You  can't even get into the parking lot, because the line of cars to go into the drive-thru is 15 cars long, and snakes back onto Century.  F that noise, and WTF is wrong with people?  That many people hankering for McDonald's?  Geez.  So, with an objective in mind (a clean fast food joint with big iced teas and a plug for my computer), I head east on Century.  Some pretty interesting places along the way -- a charcoal burger joint that looks damned good, but is takeout only.  There, I see it ahead -- a Burger King.  Perfect.  I go in.   It's empty, except for one dude with a cigarette behind his ear, nursing his water and biding his time.  I order my drink.  I notice that the bathrooms are pay bathrooms (but you can get a token, if you're a customer).  I get one, and use it to go to the john, take a leak, and wash my hands.

I then look around for an outlet.  Nothing.  Not a one.  Welp, good thought.  I sip my tea for a bit, check emails on my phone, then decide to head out.  But not before another side comes in, on his bike, leans it up against the wall, and starts talking to an empty spot on the floor. The conversation seemed important, but I didn’t want to intrude, so I leave.

My best bet is  to cross Century and do a U-turn in the CVS parking lot.  As I do so, I see this place across the street.

cad6d96ace8e5ac2146169abb885176a.jpg

I'm thinking the Chans are (or perhaps WERE) some entrepeneurial mofos.  Chinese folks, running a mexican food, seafood, family restaurant.  What more can you want?  WHAT MORE?

Alas, I was full of soup, goat, and tea, and did not check it out.

BUT, I did realize that there was another errand I could run.  See, every year, our family cooks dinner for our vacation group one night.  They are all Texas expats who gather for this vacation, coming from all over the country and the world.  So, they love some Texas mexican grub.  I always make a bunch of stuff for tacos al carbon and burritos, if you wanna make a bigger meal.  But I usually buy my tortillas from Costco in Laguna Niguel.  Not exactly "authentic."  So, I cross back north (driving through a neighborhood of pretty typical Southern California bungalows), and stop by a place I saw when I got my Somali food:

dfdc7a6af1c13c121b5dc1385d4ef6bd.jpg

Just like a mexican grocery/carniceria back home.  I loaded up on Diana brand tortillas -- regular flour, some burrito size, and the  perfect little street taco size corn tortillas.  The entire conversation with the checker was in spanish -- she started in spanish, and there was no need to shift.  I was buying tortillas and asked for a bag.

Now, back at LAX, waiting to pick up my daughter from a month overseas.  She's been travelling nearly 24 hours.  And she wants a burger when we leave.  I'm thinking we're skipping McDonald's....that  charcoal place looked REALLY good.

That McD’s is indeed a clusterfuck. Worst I’ve ever seen. Carl’s Jr a mile or so W on Century is much better. Loads of parking.

And the “Jet Strip” has parking too. Just sayin’.

Anyway, El Segundo is just S of the airport and it’s a cool, quaint little town. Great place to plug in and check email

That McD’s is indeed a clusterfuck. Worst I’ve ever seen. Carl’s Jr a mile or so W on Century is much better. Loads of parking.

And the “Jet Strip” has parking too. Just sayin’.

Anyway, El Segundo is just S of the airport and it’s a cool, quaint little town. Great place to plug in and check email

Yep, grabbed the daughter a Carl’s Jr. cheeseburger on the way out - she wanted an American burger after a month abroad, that did the trick.