Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

RT has had a nice turnaround from the start of the season to go from out of the tournament to not in the last 4 in. 

Combined with last season, this is a solid start for RT at Texas. If he builds on this, the sky is the limit, if he repeats this the next two seasons, does he get an extension?

I was the first one in line to say I did not want Terry. That being said, this team was left for dead in the middle of this season and had every excuse to quit and finish in the bottom quarter of the conference, but they didnt. Credit to RT for that. While I am certainly not praising RT for this year, I am no longer calling for his head at the end of year 2 as long as this program doesn't crash and burn next year. I really hope we can make some noise in the Big 12 tourney and win at least one game in the NCAA tourney. Tournament Terry needs to be a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Grant McCasland made the NCAA Tournament one time in 7 years coaching at UNT and Arkansas State. Rodney Terry made it once in 10 years at Fresno and UTEP. Not a huge difference.

I agree that RT is not an elite coach and probably will never be one. But to date he is outperforming Shaka at Texas, who many thought was an elite coach both before and after his time at Texas. And the team has finished strong, both this year and last year - something we missed in the later Barnes years.

If he makes the tournament every year, it is going to be hard to get rid of him.

And non-elite coaches win the NCAAT. Just look at everyone's last-season preseason elitist of all elite coaches,Dan Hurley.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

And non-elite coaches win the NCAAT. Just look at everyone's last-season preseason elitist of all elite coaches,Dan Hurley.

another sincere, logical argument from the pro-RT (or in this case psycho anti-derka) crowd. totally an apples to apples comparison. let’s dive in to this stupid shit:

•at 38 years old in 2012 dan hurley takes over at Wagner with the seahawks coming off of a 5-26 season. hurley proceeds to go 13-17 followed by a 25-6 season which saw him get hired by Rhode Island for the great job he’d done.

•at age 40 he takes over a 7-24 URI team. two years later rhode island is 23-10, followed by a 25 win season with a tourney win, followed by a 26 win season with an A10 title, a tourney win, and a promotion to UCONN.

•at the age of 46 he takes over at UCONN. at the age of 50 he wins the national fucking title at UCONN, and now at the age of 51 he has uconn as a no.1 seed and the popular favorite to repeat. sounds pretty elite to me!

all you have done is proven my point. good coaches win. HELLO. let’s repeat that: good coaches win. they win at shitty programs with shitty histories, programs that go back to being shitty when their good coach leaves for a better job. they don’t win at .500 clip over 10 years at two different schools from multi bid leagues with a total of one tourney appearance and zero league title or tourney wins. they win early, they win often, and they climb the coaching ladder from the word go. great stuff as usual tho. super sincere and logical arguments from your crowd, as always. 👌🏻 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Why are we comparing Rodney to bill self.

because bill self was a winner at oral roberts, tulane, and illinois before becoming one of the truly elite coaches in the sport, while RT, at the same stages in his career, was either an assistant coach, or a mediocre HC who couldn’t take the programs he where he was hired and turn them into a program that wins games. and mostly because you clowns keep making the most asinine excuses as to why his 28 year resume pre-Beard being fired doesn’t matter.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

because bill self was a winner at oral roberts, tulane, and illinois before becoming one of the truly elite coaches in the sport, while RT, at the same stages in his career, was either an assistant coach, or a mediocre HC who couldn’t take the programs he where he was hired and turn them into a program that wins games. and mostly because you clowns keep making the most asinine excuses as to why his 28 year resume pre-Beard being fired doesn’t matter.

You would do anything to dog RT.  It’s unhealthy.  Can you draw up a Rodney vs coach K comparison next?  Get a hold of yourself.   There’s nothing wrong with being pro RT btw.   He’s our coach and not a wife beater.  

and quit asking people for receipts on your takes.  You ask the mods to delete your posts after the fact.  And you know it.  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You would do anything to dog RT.

for christ’s sake, rebutting y'all's asinine and insincere posts with a factual breakdown of his career record is not dogging him. if you don’t want his factual coaching record to be brought up and compared to those of actual successful coaches then stop making the same disingenuous arguments about his career resume/path over and over and over.

and you’re right, there is nothing wrong with being pro-RT.  however there is *definitely* something wrong with the pro-RT crowd. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

for christ’s sake, rebutting y'all's asinine and insincere posts with a factual breakdown of his career record is not dogging him. if you don’t want his factual coaching record to be brought up and compared to those of actual successful coaches then stop making the same disingenuous arguments about his career resume/path over and over and over.

and you’re right, there is nothing wrong with being pro-RT.  however there is *definitely* something wrong with the pro-RT crowd. 

You know Rodney in real life right?  I think you’ve posted that before?  Unless you had the mods delete that post too

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

You know Rodney in real life right?  I think you’ve posted that before?  Unless you had the mods delete that post too

aren’t you on your 50’s? because you behave like a middle school child with behavioral issues. you have no desire to actually discuss anything here earnestly. it’s dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

aren’t you on your 50’s? because you behave like a middle school child with behavioral issues. you have no desire to actually discuss anything here earnestly. it’s dumb.

Not in my 50s? Here we go with the personal shit that you’re so good at pulling up.  

does Rodney know you dog the shit out of him on the interwebs?   

Maybe you should shift back to the “I has the right to call people ruhtards” or “Shaka doesn’t like to work with white people” crap

Edited by closetohumping

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes a few of us are *gasp* rooting for RT. 

i’m rooting for RT. you are making asinine excuses for his mediocre resume and then starting and perpetuating juvenile, internet slap fights with anyone who uses facts and stats to refute your arguments. hence the “12 year old with behavioral issues” comment. you have zero desire to have an earnest discussion. it’s childish and pointless. but that’s all you ever being to the table, so not sure what i expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i’m rooting for RT. you are making asinine excuses for his mediocre resume and then starting and perpetuating juvenile, internet slap fights with anyone who uses facts and stats to refute your arguments. hence the “12 year old with behavioral issues” comment. you have zero desire to have an earnest discussion. it’s childish and sad.

What excuses would those be?  What’s my actual take on Rodney actually?

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Is McCasland  the comparison? Because he has coached his ass off this year,

McCasland has done a tremendous job this year. Agree. I'm only saying that he wasn't a complete rock star at UNT. Tech hiring him was a bit of a gamble that seems to have paid off.

The RT hire was also a gamble. Maybe it will pay off as well.  Maybe it won't.

Just now, HookEm said:

McCasland has done a tremendous job this year. Agree. I'm only saying that he wasn't a complete rock star at UNT. Tech hiring him was a bit of a gamble that seems to have paid off.

The RT hire was also a gamble. Maybe it will pay off as well.  Maybe it won't.

IF RT is jettisoned, I would think GM would get consideration and I'm not opposed to that idea.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

another sincere, logical argument from the pro-RT (or in this case psycho anti-derka) crowd. totally an apples to apples comparison. let’s dive in to this stupid shit:

•at 38 years old in 2012 dan hurley takes over at Wagner with the seahawks coming off of a 5-26 season. hurley proceeds to go 13-17 followed by a 25-6 season which saw him get hired by Rhode Island for the great job he’d done.

•at age 40 he takes over a 7-24 URI team. two years later rhode island is 23-10, followed by a 25 win season with a tourney win, followed by a 26 win season with an A10 title, a tourney win, and a promotion to UCONN.

•at the age of 46 he takes over at UCONN. at the age of 50 he wins the national fucking title at UCONN, and now at the age of 51 he has uconn as a no.1 seed and the popular favorite to repeat. sounds pretty elite to me!

all you have done is proven my point. good coaches win. HELLO. let’s repeat that: good coaches win. they win at shitty programs with shitty histories, programs that go back to being shitty when their good coach leaves for a better job. they don’t win at .500 clip over 10 years at two different schools from multi bid leagues with a total of one tourney appearance and zero league title or tourney wins. they win early, they win often, and they climb the coaching ladder from the word go. great stuff as usual tho. super sincere and logical arguments from your crowd, as always. 👌🏻 

I often don’t agree with Derka and his persecution complex can be fatiguing, but right now he is bitch slapping you people all over this board. He is right and the chef’s kiss was giving a counter example of Dan Hurley that proved his point.

• Hook 'Em 3

I suspect most of the alleged "pro-RT" crowd is much  more "pro-Longhorns".  The basic idea is "support the guy until he fails".  It doesn't mean anyone thinks he would have ever been considered for the job under normal circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I often don’t agree with Derka and his persecution complex can be fatiguing, but right now he is bitch slapping you people all over this board. He is right and the chef’s kiss was giving a counter example of Dan Hurley that proved his point.

Not one person has said RT is in Hurley class and honestly I’m not sure Beard is either.  Someone said he was non elite, ie not in the bill self/izzo class 

You were not pro RT hire either so don't come in with that "I don't like Derka but....." stuff.  

Edited by closetohumping

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

By "winner at oral roberts" you mean he went 55-54 in four years. 
By "winner at tulane" you mean "tulsa" where he was 42-22 in his first two years (a one-and-done in the NCAAs) before making his Elite Eight appearance in his final season. 

So the difference is he went to two NCAA tournaments in his seven years at non-Power 5 schools while Rodney Terry went to one in his 10 years. But Self at ORU and Tulsa certainly doesn't fill the bill you described for being an elite coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Is McCasland  the comparison? Because he has coached his ass off this year, inheriting an absolute dumpster fire of a program while also losing the best player early on in the season, and playing the middle of conference without the existing best player on the roster.

Case could easily be made that RT has had more to work with this season than McCasland.

Lulz. Ok.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

So you had Dan Hurley as an elite coach before last season? If you say yes, you are fucking lying to yourself. The guy that was trucking along at a .581 winning percentage in his 1st 10 years on the job with 4 lossing seasons and two NCAAT appearences. Even his 1st 2 NCAATs at Connecticut were first round upets. If Dan Hurley was at .608 and two bad 1st round upsets in his 1st four years at Texas, everyone of you fucktwats would be calling for him to be fired.

Edited by HtownHorn

For every Bill Self, there are a lot of coaches who are successful at small colleges and then are unsuccessful once they get to a big time school and have to do all the other non basketball stuff. Or are successful with lunchpail athletes and then suck when they get elite athletes who are completely different in terms of coaching needs, play style and expectations.

My hope with RT is that he is the opposite. Someone who is better (relatively) at a big time school than they should be based on their overall record. A guy who isn’t necessarily elite as a gameday coach. And who is a good but not great developer of talent, but is someone who knows how to motivate the blue chip athletes and manage all the alpha personalities. Someone who is self aware enough to hire elite assistants who can do the heavy lifting with player development.

Basically the anti- Shaka Smart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. Ok.

You believe Texas has a weaker roster than Tech?

preseason Big XII predictions: CBS Sports UT 4th, Tech 8th; The Athletic UT 4th, Tech 8th; Big XII Coaches: UT 3rd, Tech 8th.

Then Tech loses Devan Cambridge against Omaha.  Then Warren washington goes out down the stretch.

Mkay...

1 minute ago, slorch said:

If Tech has a weaker roster, why do they have a weaker roster?  Who had a higher starting point April 1 of last year?

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If Tech has a weaker roster, why do they have a weaker roster?  Who had a higher starting point April 1 of last year?

Texas.  Easily.  The rest of the country damned sure thought so.

Then you add in the injuries, and yeah, again, it's not even really comparable at all, with regard to RT vs McCasland.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Not one person has said RT is in Hurley class and honestly I’m not sure Beard is either.  Someone said he was non elite, ie not in the bill self/izzo class 

You were not pro RT hire either so don't come in with that "I don't like Derka but....." stuff.  

100% of the board would have been in fulltime agreement that Beard was in several classes above Hurley going into last season. It's amazing what one season can do to change the perception of a coach. Until last season Dan Hurley had 0 NCCAT wins, and had a winning percentage .596 overall.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

preseason Big XII predictions: CBS Sports UT 4th, Tech 8th; The Athletic UT 4th, Tech 8th; Big XII Coaches: UT 3rd, Tech 8th.

Then Tech loses Devan Cambridge against Omaha.  Then Warren washington goes out down the stretch.

Mkay...

and Texas was without their best player for the entire OOC schedule, and Shedrick has been in and out of the lineup all season. So, I think your comparision is stupid.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

and Texas was without their best player for the entire OOC schedule, and Shedrick has been in and out of the lineup all season. So, I think your comparision is stupid.

The comparison was started by someone else. The preseason predictions and the results of the 2023-24 campaigns support my position.  IDGA rat's ass if you endorse it or not.  You like denial.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

The comparison was started by someone else. The preseason predictions and the results of the 2023-24 campaigns support my position.  IDGA rat's ass if you endorse it or not.  You like denial.

Congrats on your "great" season, enjoy McCasland until a bigger program steals him away and you are stuck in your lot in life as a stepping stone program or where coaching legends go to die.

Edited by HtownHorn

Tech hired Grant McCasland March 31st of last year. That means he had the entire transfer portal window to convince existing Tech players to stay and to assemble a roster via the portal.

Coming out of last season, he had:

• Pop Isaacs - Big 12 All-Freshman team and one of the best returning guards in the conference
  • Jaylon Tyson - Transferred to Cal (May 12) and has averaged 19.6 PTS, 6.8 TRB 
  • Daniel Batcho - Transferred to Louisiana Tech (Apr 23) and is averaging 14.9 PTS, 9.8 TRB
  • Fardaws Aimaq - Transferred to Cal (Apr 27) and is averaging 14.7 PTS, 11.0 TRB
  • Elijah Fisher - Transferred to DePaul and is averaging 10.4 PTS, 3.7 TRB
  • KJ Allen - Transferred to Portland State and is averaging 13.0 PTS, 7.0 TRB
  • Lamar Washington - meh
  • Kerwin Walton - meh
  • D'maurian Williams - meh
  • Robert Jennings - meh
  • CJ Williams - meh

So basically he kept Isaacs and a bunch of mediocre players and let a bunch of really solid to elite players go in the portal. 

Should Terry get no credit for keeping Disu and Hunter? Or for convincing Mitchell to withdraw from the NBA?  All we really lost to transfer was Arterio Morris (who very well could go to prison) and Rowan Brumbaugh (who redshirted). 

I give McCasland credit for doing very well with what he has, but don't act like he isn't responsible for the talent level on the court. He chose all those transfers, and he let a lot of talent get away.

34 minutes ago, slorch said:

slorch I'm not the biggest Tech fan in the world but usually dig your posts. Please see the name of this website. It's right at the top. Sometimes t's like you come into our living rooms and put your naked stank feet on the coffee table

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

slorch I'm not the biggest Tech fan in the world but usually dig your posts. Please see the name of this website. It's right at the top. Sometimes t's like you come into our living rooms and put your naked stank feet on the coffee table

I am wrong for saying Texas had a better roster?  even following the implosion of the Tech program and Mark Adams' departure?

Gotdam, it's one thing to be a homer, and I am, but it seems impossible for some of you to recognize fucking facts.

and fuck the "this is a Texas site" bullshit.  I didn't drop McCasland's name in the thread, so fuck off with that shit.

I was just discussing the topic within the context of the thread.  Some of you motherfuckers don't want that, i guess.  Don't disrupt our illusions.  Not every poster, by any means, but wholly furk.  If you think RT had a tougher year to coach than McCasland did, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

I am wrong for saying Texas had a better roster?  even following the implosion of the Tech program and Mark Adams' departure?

Gotdam, it's one thing to be a homer, and I am, but it seems impossible for some of you tok recognize fucking facts.

and fuck the "this is a Texas site" bullshit.  I didn't drop McCasland's name in the thread, so fuck off with that shit.

I'm no Ms. Manners but surly even she would give you a demerit for your bitchassedness

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

So you had Dan Hurley as an elite coach before last season? If you say yes, you are fucking lying to yourself. The guy that was trucking along at a .581 winning percentage in his 1st 10 years on the job with 4 lossing seasons and two NCAAT appearences. Even his 1st 2 NCAATs at Connecticut were first round upets. If Dan Hurley was at .608 and two bad 1st round upsets in his 1st four years at Texas, everyone of you fucktwats would be calling for him to be fired.

dan hurley has done nothing but improve every single shitty program that he’s taken over, including Wagner and URI. those programs are terrible, dan hurley arrives, after two years they are wildly improved, and he gets promoted to an even better program, winning league titles and multiple tourney games along the way. this is his career path, the path of a winner. he’s done nothing but climb the ranks and improve every program he’s ever been hired to coach.

what, at all, in rodney terry’s career is even remotely comparable to dan burley’s accomplishments and his career trajectory? did i miss the part where dan hurley went to one tourney in 10 years as a HC, never won a tourney game or a league title, took a lateral move, and then took a downward move to a position of assistant coach, or are you just angrily talking out of your ass like you always do? 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, slorch said:

I am wrong for saying Texas had a better roster? 

I will grant you that Texas had the better roster this year. But once again, you are conveniently ignoring that McCasland had the opportunity for a MUCH more talented roster if he had simply done a better job keeping the talent that was available to him.

So... McCasland is the better gameday coach and does more with less.  But RT is better at acquiring and keeping talent.  Agree?

21 minutes ago, HookEm said:

So... McCasland is the better gameday coach and does more with less.  But RT is better at acquiring and keeping talent.  Agree?

It's easier to acquire talent at Texas. Agree?

Let's clear up what seems to be some lingering mythology:  Rodney Terry didn't exactly shit the bed at Fresno State.  Under their previous coach, they had a 0.484 winning percentage.  That record improved a not insignificant amount to 0.538 under RT.  Did he crush it?  Nope.  Nobody has suggested anything of the sort.

Fresno State went 25-10, 20-13, and 21-11 in his last 3 seasons.  His hiring at UTEP should not be considered a "lateral" move, as the Miners went 0.582 in a little over 7 seasons under Tim Floyd.  However, they went 15-17 in his last full season, and 1-5 before he stepped down mid-season the next year.  That program wasn't trending in the right direction and Floyd bailed.

Don't get me wrong, none of these results should earn him an interview with Texas under normal circumstances.  (I assume he was not interviewed when we hired Beard.)  But, he hasn't been some kind of train wreck as a head coach, either.  He definitely did a decent job at Fresno State, and wasn't really at UTEP long enough to judge, in my opinion.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

Every time we win a game or two, the pro-RT crowd comes out pumping their chest and claiming some kind of victory. It's as if winning a few games or having a .500 record in the conference is all we strive for at Texas. So far, RT has done just about what most of us had predicted him to do this year. He has been an average coach (except last year) all his career and he once again has an average record (9-9 in conference). One side is going by results and data, and the other side is resorting to emotions. Wait until he wins something before claiming victory. Until then nothing has changed.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Every time we win a game or two, the pro-RT crowd comes out pumping their chest and claiming some kind of victory.

That's a lie.  

It's as if winning a few games or having a .500 record in the conference is all we strive for at Texas.

Another lie.

Wait until he wins something before claiming victory. Until then nothing has changed.

Did you actually get an engineering degree from UT?  Your reading comprehension sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

That's a lie.  

Another lie.

Did you actually get an engineering degree from UT?  Your reading comprehension sucks.

I got two engineering degrees from UT and an MBA from a top 3 school. Please educate me on my reading comprehension. Unlike you, I don't spend aĺl day here, but when I come here, I see the same predictable posts.

• Haha 2

the abject rage, and combativeness, and lack of knowledge from htown or utgrad97 or whatever his name is never gets any less grating to deal with. christ on a cracker that shit is old.

The people declaring Bill Self was a winner at Oral Roberts and Grant McCasland and Nate Oats were Sweet 16 features at mid-major programs.

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I got two engineering degrees from UT and an MBA from a top 3 school. Please educate me on my reading comprehension. 

Where is this chest-pumping you refer to?  Who said or even implied that 0.500 was the bar at Texas?  Quotes, please.

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I got two engineering degrees from UT and an MBA from a top 3 school. Please educate me on my reading comprehension. Unlike you, I don't spend aĺl day here, but when I come here, I see the same predictable posts.

Well, first of all you don’t selectively look at a coach’s overall success based on a single factor like “conference record” unless you want to argue that Bill Self is an average coach because he has a 10-8 Big 12 record.

The holistic regular season record (20-11) and, more importantly, the NET ranking (25) show he did not have an “average” year.

it would have been nice to have a healthy Shedrick at West Virginia and vs. UCF. It would have been nice to have a healthy Disu at Baylor. But shit happens.

But we’re positioned right now to be able to make more noise in the Big 12 Tournament than we were a week ago — having gone from an 9 seed to a seven seed — and hopefully can play our way into a 6 in the NCAAs to make a Sweet 16 run a possibility.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where is this chest-pumping you refer to?  Who said or even implied that 0.500 was the bar at Texas?  Quotes, please.

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I didn't say those were the exact quotes. I have implied that as if having that kind of record is good enough. I see people bending over backwards to justify why RT is a good coach by using numerous convenient qualifiers. I just don't understand the rationale.

RT will get 3 years minimum to prove himself. If he gets us to the tournament during his tenure, I am happy. I would also say that perhaps he is a better tournament coach than a regular season coach. Pehaps he will keep taking us deep in the tourney. We don't have enough data point for that. I will be very happy if that's what he turns out to be.

• Hook 'Em 1