Which is better - Sam’s or Costco?

I have two kids, so I begrudgingly have a Costco card and occasional go myself when I can't trade chores with my wife to make her go.

Nothing on this earth sucks the humanity out of me like a trip to a busy Costco. Walmart is at least occasionally entertaining and makes for good people watching. Costco just collects the most oblivious, uninteresting, zero peripheral vision having mother fuckers in the country. They could make those lanes as wide as a football field, and you're still getting cut off and stuck behind someone slowly meandering between sample stations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Tires and batteries always the cheapest at both compared to the tire "chains" but it's been a pain the past 2 years to just drop in to get a fix or rotation and need to book at least a week before... (Had to get the tires on kids cars at Sam's because no Costco in the town they go to university but I like that Costco uses nitrogen...)

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I like Costco too.  I think it's because I have more "gatherer" than "hunter" in my genetic ancestry or something.  But, I will say that I pretty much hate going to the Costco near my in-laws in Dallas.  It's a huge pain in the ass.  The new Costco in Kyle is a fucking breeze compared to the South Austin one, which in turn is a joyous experience compared to the aforementioned north Dallas location.

I go to Sam's once or twice a year.  They have some good stuff, but much like Walmart, I walk in and immediately want to walk out.  I didn't know about the online pickup option though, that could be cool.

I find Costco easier to navigate when entering a new location than other grocery retailers.  The layout may be different, but the groupings are all very similar.  I know if I get to produce, meat will be adjacent and dairy right there too.  Then over to drinks and refrigerated/frozen then a half dozen aisles of dry foods.  I am in and out as fast or faster than a regular store.

Step into a new grocery store... good fucking luck.  I know I am going to do 3 laps just trying to find the god damn mustard and good luck finding someone to help..

We do Costco runs for vacations at AirBNB's.    I fucking loathe dragging my kids out of a hotel room to a continental breakfast buffet, and any chance to avoid sit down restaurants when they were really young was a gift from above.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:05 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

Yeah, I like Costco too.  I think it's because I have more "gatherer" than "hunter" in my genetic ancestry or something.  But, I will say that I pretty much hate going to the Costco near my in-laws in Dallas.  It's a huge pain in the ass.  The new Costco in Kyle is a fucking breeze compared to the South Austin one, which in turn is a joyous experience compared to the aforementioned north Dallas location.

I go to Sam's once or twice a year.  They have some good stuff, but much like Walmart, I walk in and immediately want to walk out.  I didn't know about the online pickup option though, that could be cool.

75 north in Plano? That place has a line to get in on a weekday morning it’s so fucking busy all the time.

Gas is more expensive out here than what you Texans pay, but Costco is no bargain anymore, unless you believe that their gas is higher quality than the discount stations.  Costco prices can be matched easily, and beat if you look around a bit. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Gas is more expensive out here than what you Texans pay, but Costco is no bargain anymore, unless you believe that their gas is higher quality than the discount stations.  Costco prices can be matched easily, and beat if you look around a bit. 

Generally been 20 cents cheaper up here.  Last week when most stations were at around 3.99-4.09 I filled up for 3.85. 

I do enjoy watching so many people get in line for a pump on the wrong side just because it’s one car shorter, and then negotiate the hose across their car. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Generally been 20 cents cheaper up here.  Last week when most stations were at around 3.99-4.09 I filled up for 3.85. 

I do enjoy watching so many people get in line for a pump on the wrong side just because it’s one car shorter, and then negotiate the hose across their car. 

20 to. 50 cents cheaper in hou

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah the difference does vary.  I’m willing to endure the gas  line at Costco when it’s meaningful.  Then inevitably it gets close enough I just start using whatever is most convenient.  Probably gone through a half dozen cycles personally in the last decade.

Edited by Incredulity