Toronto Layover

11 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

I have a 12+ hour layover in Toronto Sunday. Is there anything nearish the airport that merits having to go through airport lines to get back in?

Toronto airport is out in the burbs.  Probably a nice time to stay at an airport hotel, get smashed at the bar with all the flight attendants, and do room service before your flight.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

I have a 12+ hour layover in Toronto Sunday. Is there anything nearish the airport that merits having to go through airport lines to get back in?

I've been to Toronto three times, and others with more experience in that area might weigh in, but the airport is quite a good drive from Toronto, and I recall the area around the airport seemed like DFW, with not much in the near vicinity except for chain restaurants and hotels.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Mississauga is the airport town.  SA is correct about that area.  Depending on timing and traffic, it could be worth a quick trip downtown to TO if you had something specific that you wanted to do like the CN Tower or the rooftop bar at the Park Hyatt. 

16 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Mississauga is the airport town.  SA is correct about that area.  Depending on timing and traffic, it could be worth a quick trip downtown to TO if you had something specific that you wanted to do like the CN Tower or the rooftop bar at the Park Hyatt. 

Is that what happens when an UGA gal gets knocked up by a croakie-wearing Ole Miss guy?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

It has been a few years but there is light rail from the airport to downtown that integrates with the subway. As I recall it was quite easy and convenient. Maybe a 20-30 minute ride. 

Yes.  My first trip on a TO subway was probably 1985/86 or so.  It was notable how many business-looking guys in suits and ties didn't have all their front teeth.  Hockey is a real thing up there!

23 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

It has been a few years but there is light rail from the airport to downtown that integrates with the subway. As I recall it was quite easy and convenient. Maybe a 20-30 minute ride. 

That's right.  The UP Express goes straight from the airport to Union Station in downtown.  Trains depart every 15 minutes, and the ride takes 25 minutes.

From Union Station, it's a block to the Hockey Hall of Fame.  I mean, if you like hockey at all, it's worth a trip.  The Stanley Cup is on display, and you can walk up to it, hug it, caress it, and take a selfie with it.

A block in the other direction is the CN Tower.  And that's fun if you want to walk over the glass floor.  If you have a fear of heights, it's somewhat less entertaining.

Across from CN Tower, at the old rail turntable, is the Railway Museum.  And if you like trains, it's a pretty cool museum.  There's also a brewery and a decent sports bar in there.