Chelsea 2018-2019: Sarri, not sorry

RichUT

Went camping this weekend, so got to watch the game yesterday afternoon.

First half was beyond bipolar.  We dominated possession and flow, but would just give up opportunities that Arsenal should've completed.  Second half, we calmed down and didn't move the ball as well, but played much better defense.

Bringing in Hazard and Kovacic at the 60 minute mark is unfair.  Both those guys just boss the midfield with Jorginho and Kante.

Rudiger and Geezer - Need to get their head's on straight on the offsides trap as the fullbacks on most of those Arsenal goals or chances were pushed up the field with on of these guys hanging back.  I think they started to get a hold of it in the second half. I really like Alonso in the Sarri system as he has great movement but I'm not sold with him and Geezer covering the left back line.  Especially with Willian and Hazard being the winger (neither defend well imo).

Alonso and Dave - Dave and Rudiger feel solid, as above Alonso and Geezer don't, but Alonso's movement off the ball was fantastic.  Emerson is going to have to show something special at this point to move Alonso out.

Mid - Barkley is working his ass off and I love it, but as soon as Kovacic replaced him, the midfield became so dominant in control. Jorginho disappeared a bit when Hazard and Kovacic came in, but I think they are just feeling each other out and will soon begin to meld a bit. Kante is evolving, almost scoring 2 goals in 2 games.  Will be interesting to see where he goes from here. 

Winger - Pedro and Willian played very well for spells, but at times disappeared on defense.  Looks like Sarri prefers Pedro thus far when Hazard comes back to full tilt.

Striker - Morata looked great outside of the times he let oaf run him over.  I wish he would get bigger on those and make the CB push him down like Hazard does.

GK - needs stronger wrists (see Cech) but played well.  And in his defense that shot from Mhitikarian was launched.

All in all 2 games in 6 points are ours.  6 goals already in our pocket.  We obviously aren't there yet, but I didn't see the season starting this well with all the distraction of Tbo and Hazard as well as a new manager with a world cup summer.

Pete O’Rourke: Tammy Abraham set to join Aston Villa on a season long loan deal.

No article yet, but gaining steam on social media.

Sounds like a mixed review.  Performed well enough last season with Swansea to get another look in the PL imo.

Best case scenario is he lights it up and scores 20+ leading Villa back to the PL.

I love Alonso so hard.  He has been a revelation since he moved over.  Him and Azpi have been unbelievable steals.

really weird game today.  Ultimately we deserved the 3 points for actually trying to play a recognizable version of football,  so glad we got them.

A few thoughts:

- 4 games, 12 points. Can’t take that for granted.
- When was the last time Willian scored in open play? Does he ever shoot? Love his energy but he never threatens the net.
- Thank goodness for Pedro. He is always looking to score and this team needs that kind of mindset on the pitch.
- Morata was entirely forgettable. Time for him to ride the bench in favor of Giroud.
- Hazard was his usual brilliant self. His goal was lovely, as was the build up.

Blue is the color, bitches!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Game in just about an hour.

Gonig to see quite a different lineup.

Chelsea team news: Just 21 players traveled to Greece, with Eden Hazard (rest), David Luiz (rest), Mateo Kovacic (knock), and Emerson (illness) staying behind to keep ineligible trio Danny Drinkwater, Rob Green, and Lucas Piazon company at Cobham. Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Cesc Fabregas appear to have recovered from their respective injuries however, and could play a part in Sarri’s promised 4-5 player rotation. The head coach already confirmed a planned start for Alvaro Morata.