Chelsea 2018-2019: Sarri, not sorry

RichUT

The basic rule is that clubs cannot bring in players under 18 from other countries unless their parents have emigrated for reasons not connected to football or both the player and club are based within 50km of a national border. Under Fifa’s Article 19, the only other exception is for transfers within either the European Union or European Economic Area where the player is aged between 16 and 18.

Chelsea contend that the majority of the 100-plus player cases involved short-term trialists at their academy, who did not go on to sign for them. They have argued there is no law against trialing under-18 international players; that it is common practice across Europe and, as such, they believe these cases ought not to be included in the final judgment. In others that led to them making signings, the club maintain they fully complied with Fifa’s rules.

Some sort of leadership and accountability among the players might be nice.

I'm on the side of selling Hazard at this point before his value drops further. He is a good player, but he is not a leader and this team has taken on his mentality. The pace early in the game was great, moving the ball around and creating chances. As soon as we dropped 1-0 we lost an edge, then at 2-0 it was over. I'm fairly certain at least 2 of the goals were prompted by Hazard losing the ball and not tracking back. He is amazing when he is on, but he obviously isn't interested in signing another contract or that would be taken care of. Let Real Madrid have him, let Pedro, Willian wonder off and get some young hungry talent (Pulisic, ?CHO) and let this team find some leadership. Ever since Terry/Drogba/Lampard left, the team no longer has anyone chewing into players to get their shit together on the pitch. Rudiger and Dave try, but Kante/Jorginho/Kovacic aren't looking to lead that midfield. Hazard is the star of the team and his approach to the game has flowed off into other players.

28 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

What the fuck happened today?

We absolutely controlled the game for 20-30 minutes, hit the crossbar once and then we started getting lazy in the MF and giving up balls, several times should've lead to Cherries goals in the first half. We started the second 45 quickly giving up a nice goal and we folded. We have no leadership and any sort of conflict, we fold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

We absolutely controlled the game for 20-30 minutes, hit the crossbar once and then we started getting lazy in the MF and giving up balls, several times should've lead to Cherries goals in the first half. We started the second 45 quickly giving up a nice goal and we folded. We have no leadership and any sort of conflict, we fold.

Pretty much this.  The number of turnovers in the midfield we had due to lazy passes was incredibly frustrating.  It's like our players get bored of just passing the ball around, start making lazy passes, and then give up when it bites them in the ass.  Sarri's system is weak against the counter and we gave them counter opportunities over and over again today.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd check in to get an early application going for the bandwagon.

No, I have never supported an EPL team in the past for any extended period of time. 

Yes, I watched Dortmund and was a fan of theirs the past couple of years. 

Drogba is a badass and Chelsea's PL title was incredible. 

So that said, please clue me in on anything I might be in the dark about before I start waking up earlier on Saturdays to watch (and cheer for) you guys.

14 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Higuain converts a great pass from Kante.  They looked like they've been playing together for years there.

Didn't see the game, but saw that Higuaín had two goals.

QUESTION: How is Higuaín's movement? (Did Chelsea get FAT Pipita? of FIT Pipita?)

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Didn't see the game, but saw that Higuaín had two goals.

QUESTION: How is Higuaín's movement? (Did Chelsea get FAT Pipita? of FIT Pipita?)

I thought he looked great - lots of energy.  And on top of the goals, he had another shot that whistled wide.  Keeper had it covered, but Higuain still got to his spot and got a look at goal.  

The main thing that impressed me was the communication he had with the others.  Everyone got on the same page really quickly.  And of course his finishes were clinical.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

No, I have never supported an EPL team in the past for any extended period of time. 

So that said, please clue me in on anything I might be in the dark about before I start waking up earlier on Saturdays to watch (and cheer for) you guys.

One major reason is we are not from fucking Manchester. 

Team is fun to watch, enough off season turmoil to keep the interest up and always a contender. Plus, Sideshow Bob in on our starting 11. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I thought he looked great - lots of energy.  And on top of the goals, he had another shot that whistled wide.  Keeper had it covered, but Higuain still got to his spot and got a look at goal.  

The main thing that impressed me was the communication he had with the others.  Everyone got on the same page really quickly.  And of course his finishes were clinical.

1) I managed to find the highlights on NBCSN.com later in the night/early morning and saw that Pilots is in fighting shape and moving well. 

2) Pipita & Kante are both born in France, so they have that immediate bond that they’ve waited a lifetime to tap. (They also played each other in France’s tightest game in last year’s World Cup and perhaps Kante had studied film on Pipita’s off-the-ball movement in preparation for helping mark him during their match.)

On 2/2/2019 at 7:14 PM, ztejas said:

Sarri eats cigarettes as he can't smoke them at the Bridge

Hazard is amazing but doesn't want to be

We don't have any history but we have all the trophies

Blue is the colour

Dave can play any position

The number 9 is cursed

Lamps, Terry, Petr and Drogba built this

Roman has the final say, Mariana is the negotiator

Our loan army can beat their loan army

Courtois is another word for Snake

Year 2 Mourinho is amazing

Average life of a CFC manager is 2 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Sarri eats cigarettes as he can't smoke them at the Bridge

Hazard is amazing but doesn't want to be

We don't have any history but we have all the trophies

Blue is the colour

Dave can play any position

The number 9 is cursed

Lamps, Terry, Petr and Drogba built this

Roman has the final say, Mariana is the negotiator

Our loan army can beat their loan army

Courtois is another word for Snake

Year 2 Mourinho is amazing

Average life of a CFC manager is 2 years.

Great - this is perfect. 

As far as other EPL teams go, who should I tell to go fuck themselves? All of them? Is their a tier system? 

I've never liked ManU. They remind me of the Lakers. I fucking hate the Lakers. 

Man City used to be kind of cool I guess because they aren't ManU but now it's just a bunch of corrupt oil money buying wins. So they can fuck off. 

Liverpool seems like a bunch of melodramatic cucks that rest on their laurels. Kind of like Notre Dame. 

Why should I dislike Tottenham?

And the rest are kind of irrelevant and never win shit, right? 

Just now, ztejas said:

Great - this is perfect. 

As far as other EPL teams go, who should I tell to go fuck themselves? All of them? Is their a tier system? 

I've never liked ManU. They remind me of the Lakers. I fucking hate the Lakers. 

Man City used to be kind of cool I guess because they aren't ManU but now it's just a bunch of corrupt oil money buying wins. So they can fuck off. 

Liverpool seems like a bunch of melodramatic cucks that rest on their laurels. Kind of like Notre Dame. 

Why should I dislike Tottenham?

And the rest are kind of irrelevant and never win shit, right? 

Other EPL teams

manure is harder to hate currently because the suck, but always hate them.

City - be careful using the corrupt oil money approach on the, granted they do it to an extreme. They are so bland in personality, but I fucking hate Aguero and Fernandinho.

Liverpool has the best support on the Surly boards and it's going to suck if they win this year as they haven't done shit for decades. So the Notre Dame thing sorta works.

Spurs - It's Tottenham, Lads. That's all you need to know. They have won absolutely nothing, and after the way this year looks to be ending for them, they won't any time soon. They are like the Tech of the league, has spurts of success, but nothing to hold onto and their ownership has no plan of putting money into the team.

@ztejas

The result today of Liverpool drawing at West Ham is fantastic fun. On one side is the overconfidence of LFC and all the posts of the title being in their pocket with a 7 point lead (granted not from all the LFC posters). As well, you have the title race getting more interesting and there is still the potential of Manchester City catching up. Liverpool has a history of bottling their chances as perfectly shown in this gif.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, MoJames said:

Summary from a Belgian article

Key takeaways from the Kristof Terreur article (in Dutch):

- First meeting between Hazard and Real Madrid (CEO, Jose Angel Sanchez) dates from November 2016 in Brussels. Plan was to already finalize transfer in summer 2017 but was postponed due to ankle injury Hazard

- In summer 2018, very advanced talks between Hazard and Real Madrid took place. In final week of World Cup, Real Madrid pushed heavily to sign Hazard but Marina Granovskaia was very firm and told Jose Angel Sanchez (CEO Real Madrid) he was not for sale, even for a world record transfer fee

- Interesting fact: Thibault Courtois was doubting to join Real Madrid at some point as Chelsea offered him a huge improvement on his contract but Real Madrid kept calling Thibault Courtois urging him to wait always one more week and keep Chelsea on waiting mode.

- Real Madrid has been very clear to Hazard and has let him know, that he is their top target for the summer. Doubt surrounds whether there is a pre-contract (as was the case with C. Ronaldo in his transfer from Man U to Real Madrid in 2009; Ronaldo signed a secretive pre-contract in December 2008 which is forbidden by FIFA).

In the world where Hazard is off this summer for 100mil, where does that leave us next season.

Contracts expiring 2019 - Cahill, Giroud, Kovacic, Higuain

Contracts expiring 2020 - Willian, CHO, Pedro, Van Ginkel, Geezer

Team potentially on the books

Foward - Higuain (?), Giroud (?)

RW - Pulisic, Willian, Pedro

LW - CHO, Willian/Pedro (prefer RW)

CM - RLC, Kante, Barkley, Kovacic (?), Van Ginkel, Jorginho

RB - Dave, Zappa (?)

LB - Marcos, Emerson

CB - Rudiger, Christensen, Geezer, Ampadu, Cahill (?)

Keeper - Kepa, Willy (?)

Loan Army

Bakayoko - Been playing well for Roma, everything points to them purchasing him at season's end.

Bats - He might not fit Sarri's system, but still a young promising 9.

Moses - depending on who wanders away he might fill depth, but I imagine he is sold before long.

Zouma - I don't think he ever plays for us again.

Kenedy - He needs sold.

Nothing else to note

Youth potentially ready to step up

Tammy - Might be another year away.

Mount - He is very close to being ready per most reports, but is in a position where we actually have decent depth even if Kovacic wanders.

Dasilva - Apparently the heir apparent to Dave, been playing exceptionally well.

Tomori - Not quite ready but doing well.

Ola Aina - Getting good minutes with Torino playing wingback.

So looking at this situation I could see a couple things happening keeping in mind a potential transfer ban.

Willian - Sold due to age and demand for a 4 year contract

Giroud - Wandering back to France

CHO - staying as he will get playing time as well as transfer ban.

Youth being integrated.

Money from Hazard being used to bring in a early 20s number 9 (our weakest position) as well as another outside MF.

Players who might fit the bill with the disclaimer that I have barely watched any of these guys.

9 - Luka Jovic, Maxi Gómez, André Silva, Sébastien Haller

Outside MF - Federico Chiesa, Ryan Sessègnon

Anyways, I enjoy looking at these type of situations. I am also trying to cope with the upcoming loss of Hazard.

Y'all see this hotness 

https://streamja.com/5Eog

57 minutes ago, MoJames said:

RW - Pulisic, Willian, Pedro

LW - CHO, Willian/Pedro (prefer RW)

Puli can basically play on either wing. I feel like he has played both for BvB but I would be curious to see a breakdown. 

Also wonder if he will start right away or if they will ease him in a bit. 

He needs to get healthy and cut down on the injury nags. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Y'all see this hotness 

https://streamja.com/5Eog

Puli can basically play on either wing. I feel like he has played both for BvB but I would be curious to see a breakdown. 

Also wonder if he will start right away or if they will ease him in a bit. 

He needs to get healthy and cut down on the injury nags. 

Great goal. Nice to see him still putting it all out there with the transfer incomming

In regards to if he will play or not, his chance got infinitely better with the Hazard leaving news as well as the Willian asking for a 4 year contract. CFC has a rule that once a player hits the age of 30, he will only get a 1 year contract. I don't see them breaking this for Willian.

If all of that occurs, this leaves CHO, Pulisic and Pedro as the 3 players to fill the outside MF positions. Granted another source suggests that Pulisic is not the direct replacement of Hazard and another "replacement" transfer is expected over the summer.

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Great goal. Nice to see him still putting it all out there with the transfer incomming

In regards to if he will play or not, his chance got infinitely better with the Hazard leaving news as well as the Willian asking for a 4 year contract. CFC has a rule that once a player hits the age of 30, he will only get a 1 year contract. I don't see them breaking this for Willian.

If all of that occurs, this leaves CHO, Pulisic and Pedro as the 3 players to fill the outside MF positions. Granted another source suggests that Pulisic is not the direct replacement of Hazard and another "replacement" transfer is expected over the summer.

Finished with his left, too, if you didn't notice. Part of why I think he could play on either side of the field. 

Not sure his work rate is enough to be a straight up replacement for Hazard but he will definitely fill some of those minutes.

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Finished with his left, too, if you didn't notice. Part of why I think he could play on either side of the field. 

Not sure his work rate is enough to be a straight up replacement for Hazard but he will definitely fill some of those minutes.

No one will replace Hazard, when he is on, he is unstoppable.

Another name popping up is Pepe.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:37 PM, MoJames said:

No one will replace Hazard, when he is on, he is unstoppable.

Another name popping up is Pepe.

The same "Pepe" from Brazil, who plays for Portugal, and was on Real Madrid for a number of years who is going to turn 36 years-old in less than 3 weeks?

Or a different "Pepe"?

NOTE: There are probably a lot of "Pepe"s, because it is a nickname for "José", due to it standing for "P.P." - in Spanish it is "Padre Putivo" from the Latin "pater putativus", signifying "Father of Christ".

Edited by Napoleon