RIP Melanie

Crapinon

Hell.  She played at Woodstock.  Early on, people were lumping her into the Joni Mitchell track.  Had a couple of borderline hits that got critics talking....then Brand New Key came out and all that critical praise went away.   Bob Lefsetz had a long article about her recently.  I kind of liked this song.

She wrote this one after Woodstock.  The person before her at passed out candles to the crowd.

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Hell.  She played at Woodstock.  Early on, people were lumping her into the Joni Mitchell track.  Had a couple of borderline hits that got critics talking....then Brand New Key came out and all that critical praise went away.   Bob Lefsetz had a long article about her recently.  I kind of liked this song.

She wrote this one after Woodstock.  The person before her at passed out candles to the crowd.

I didn't realize she played Woodstock until I read her bio. After reading about her she seemed like a really nice and genuine person.

I was a came counselor near Bethel, NY in the summer of 1994. It was the 25th Anniversary of Woodstock and in addition to the “Woodstock ‘94” production of modern music in Saugerties, NY, there was an attempt to have original ‘69 acts play in Bethel at the original location.

My day off I went for an hour of two with some other counselors. There were dozens, if not hundreds actually listening to the act on stage.

The stage was tiny, the sound system was meager, most people in the area were wandering around looking at stuff being sold at stands and people trying to sell stuff like outside of a Dead show.

But… my friend explained that the large woman on stage was named “Melanie” and she used to be attractive and sang at the original Woodstock. And then he said- “And the hot one up there is Melanie’s daughter.”

❤️

MELANIE’S DAUGHTER:

Whether it was truly Melanie’s daughter or not, I have no idea, but there was a beautiful leached blonde young lady up on stage who was about 5’8”, tan, slim but curvy, short-shorts, full rack, and was singing along.

The daughter was the one who was mesmerizing everyone and I thank Melanie for bringing her into this world, or at least for bringing her to Bethel in 1994.

Pure Smoke Show!

My cellphone in 1994 didn’t have a camera. Sorry, but no pics.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:24 PM, tbone_ said:

I know her daughter Jeordie from playing around town in Phoenix. Hit her open mic from time to time. She likes to come up and sing back up. One night we did Shallow together. Cool chick.

https://jeordie.com

She can sing. (And play the guitar.)

Next time you see her (if you remember), ask if she sang with her mother in Bethel in the summer of 1994.

Thanks 🤘

Oh, and tell her that Napoleon from SurlyHorns says that he’s sorry to hear about her mother’s passing. ❤️

• Like 2