Is there a plan to make Texas universities vocational schools.

Satchel

49 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I’m not sure exactly what aggy thinks should happen on a university campus and within its classrooms. Somebody should them that 1960, when the composite aggy SAT score 860, was not their finest hour:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3442837

Aggy main campus has 73,000 students enrolled (many maybe online, I don’t know how many though). That’s heading towards vocational/community college territory right there,

I suppose that naiveté is my fallback when I run across threads like that on their politics forum. By that, I mean I'm not surprised at their outrage or lack of knowledge about how degree programs, minors, and such work. Where I am consistently surprised is how little thought they apply to what a well-rounded education comprises. So much of the greater breadth of my education came from courses outside of my major; courses on topics that were not taught in my high school (at the time, no AP was available) and my first exposure to authors such as Toni Morrison or the history of the Tulsa Race Massacre or even a semester long intensive writing class on the various types of economic systems (including communism!) occurred at this time. Indoctrination? Hardly. The faculty wanted us to read, think, and then write; justifying or informing or expanding upon what we learned in class. I owe them so much for that.

So these prolific angry posters want to never crack open a book that might invigorate the little gray cells into a world beyond the box in which they've placed themselves. What cowards. How little credit they give to the students brave enough to explore the world around them and to critically examine thoughts and ideas foreign to them.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oof, from that thread:

No self awareness it was started by a governor who was one of their alums and a former male cheerleader? 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No self awareness it was started by a governor who was one of their alums and a former male cheerleader? 

Yeah, that and I was mainly pointing out the poster's assertion that "checkbox applicants", ie minorities, are "less intelligent".