Here You Are All Equally Worthless

TOR

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Dude, that's as boot camp as it gets. 

Then they graduate bootcamp and immediately buy a muscle car or big ass truck they can't afford...usually at a crazy high interest rate because they have no, or bad credit.

What is this Mickey Mouse shit? What in the name of Jesus H. Christ are you animals doing in my head? Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk after lights-out? Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon? Why aren't you stomping Private Pyle's guts out?

On 2/17/2024 at 4:27 PM, DixonHur said:

Then they graduate bootcamp and immediately buy a muscle car or big ass truck they can't afford...usually at a crazy high interest rate because they have no, or bad credit.

Only for Jody to drive it around while they're off on deployment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 4:27 PM, DixonHur said:

Then they fall behind on the payment or other bills and they call the NCO in charge and dock their pay.  Either that or end up at the numerous pawn shops or loan places across the street from the base.

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Then they fall behind on the payment or other bills and they call the NCO in charge and dock their pay.  Either that or end up at the numerous pawn shops or loan places across the street from the base.

Ok, maybe.  But they still let you play with guns and blow shit up.

Went to bootcamp in summer of '89.  Watched FMJ about 2 weeks before I left and it scared the fuck out of me.  Imagine my surprise that after processing and upon meeting our Senior Drill Instructor, 3 other mean ass motherfuckers were unleashed upon us.  LMAO.  I had no idea there were 4.  I thought it was just "Daddy."  Anyhoo, the Saturday night before Visitor's Sunday, we watch FMJ in the squad bay, Daddy's treat since we won the Guidon for Platoon of the Cycle.  What a difference 13 weeks makes...LOL.

R Lee Ermey's performance is so priceless because he wasn't acting, but rather channeling the insane characters that virtually every Drill instructor was.  He didn't need a script because it was just who he was and what a recruit experiences.  The depiction is just pure truth through a needle into your veins.

My favorite line in the whole flick is his comeback to "Did your parents have any children that lived?"

"Sir, yes, sir"

"I bet they regret that."

Encapsulates the sick-minded thorough dressing down every recruit receives in basic.  Sheer poetry.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Went to bootcamp in summer of '89.  Watched FMJ about 2 weeks before I left and it scared the fuck out of me.  Imagine my surprise that after processing and upon meeting our Senior Drill Instructor, 3 other mean ass motherfuckers were unleashed upon us.  LMAO.  I had no idea there were 4.  I thought it was just "Daddy."  Anyhoo, the Saturday night before Visitor's Sunday, we watch FMJ in the squad bay, Daddy's treat since we won the Guidon for Platoon of the Cycle.  What a difference 13 weeks makes...LOL.

R Lee Ermey's performance is so priceless because he wasn't acting, but rather channeling the insane characters that virtually every Drill instructor was.  He didn't need a script because it was just who he was and what a recruit experiences.  The depiction is just pure truth through a needle into your veins.

My favorite line in the whole flick is his comeback to "Did your parents have any children that lived?"

"Sir, yes, sir"

Encapsulates the sick-minded thorough dressing down every recruit receives in basic.  Sheer poetry.

NFG

3 hours ago, slorch said:

"Sir, yes, sir"

Did he stomp your guts out for saying “anyhoo”?  

52 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Did he stomp your guts out for saying “anyhoo”?  

Only thing I ever did to personally engage the Senior was ( knowing he was an NC native) tell him basketball sucked, especially Duke.  That was at the very end when all you're doing is paperwork and uniform prep.  That got some I.T. in the classroom, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

"Sir, yes, sir"

My understanding is that Emrey was originally hired as a consultant to “train” the drill instructor actor. After seeing him in action, Kubrick made the right call.

I met R. Lee Ermey at a dinner one time and told him that, while he was a great actor, his one role was so impressive, so undeniably great, that it was a gift to all movie lovers for the rest of time. "Of course," I told him, "I am referring to Saving Silverman." He thought that was hilarious and could not believe anybody had even seen it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/19/2024 at 8:04 PM, TxTower said:

My understanding is that Emrey was originally hired as a consultant to “train” the drill instructor actor. After seeing him in action, Kubrick made the right call.

Yep, the guy who was supposed to play the role was bumped for Emrey who was just too damn compelling.  As a consolation, they gave the first guy the role of the helicopter gunner who played it batshit fucking insane.  

On 2/19/2024 at 11:53 AM, slorch said:

"Sir, yes, sir"

I watched it for the first time in a dorm with ROTC students, one said that he rarely met the senior drill instructor.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:26 PM, YGIFS said:

Yep, the guy who was supposed to play the role was bumped for Emrey who was just too damn compelling.  As a consolation, they gave the first guy the role of the helicopter gunner who played it batshit fucking insane.  

Legend and the trivia section say that Kubrick would review the rehearsal on video tapes that were only two hours long.  Long after the original actor had left, Kubrick would sit staring at Ermey training the other actors until the tape ran out. 

Notice how the vast majority of these quotes we remember come from Ermey in the first act. 

Edited by notre dame joe