Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

God dammit. Going to need some clarification. Is he from Dallas proper? Is he from a northern suburb with a high number of people who like to sell houses and dabble in possible insurrection?

Not sure.   Best guess would be northern burbs or highland park?  Maybe garland 

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Anyone who was involved in violence should be arrested and charged. 

As I said upthread, the probability that contentious demonstration will devolve into violence and clashes increases to 1 the longer they go on.  It is completely unreasonable and non-sustainable for a select group of people to claim the right to hold a permanent live-in protest in a place they have no right to occupy, and either police it themselves (they have no right to do that) or demand that the public authorities provide security and support for them as they claim public (and sometimes private) spaces for themselves to the exclusion of the rest of the public or the actual owners.

Camping isn’t speech.  Allowing it to get this far is a massive failure of responsibility and foresight.

And this is all the point, the point isn’t to petition or exercise free speech, it’s to cause a disruption. 

I watched a lot of the UCLA videos, and your description matches what I saw. In a nutshell, the confrontation arose because the protesters were forcibly excluding members of the public from entering a public space. The counter protesters were trying to enter the public space, as they had a right to do, and that led to the escalation and violence. Don’t put up barricades in public spaces, don’t prevent other members of the public from exercising their rights to share in those spaces, and demand that police remove these obstructions immediately, and none of this happens. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Anyone who was involved in violence should be arrested and charged. 

As I said upthread, the probability that contentious demonstration will devolve into violence and clashes increases to 1 the longer they go on.  It is completely unreasonable and non-sustainable for a select group of people to claim the right to hold a permanent live-in protest in a place they have no right to occupy, and either police it themselves (they have no right to do that) or demand that the public authorities provide security and support for them as they claim public (and sometimes private) spaces for themselves to the exclusion of the rest of the public or the actual owners.
Camping isn’t speech.  Allowing it to get this far is a massive failure of responsibility and foresight.
And this is all the point, the point isn’t to petition or exercise free speech, it’s to cause a disruption. 

They’ve missed the memo on civil disobedience. Causing a disruption, in violation of the law, IS a protest technique. It has some validity and power. It also has consequences. Mature and rational protestors should acknowledge both.
My wife has participated in two significant clergy-based demonstrations (both connected to immigration issues). There was a large meeting the day before. Areas, plans, and protocols were discussed in detail. Individuals who planned/were willing to be arrested (and to engage in the sit-in behavior that would get them arrested) were given red wrist bands. And the march organizers discussed the plan with law enforcement beforehand. The cops knew what would be done, knew they would be making arrests, and knew there would be no violent resistance to those arrests (the protestors would go limp and allow themselves to be carried away). The statement was made. Images of cops arresting clergy went out, making a point. And nobody was actually harmed. That’s how grownups do civil disobedience. The protestors didn’t claim to own the Capitol rotunda. They didn’t tell the police “you can’t arrest us for breaking the law,” and physically resist when they tried to do so.
Naive, uneducated and inexperienced idealistic kids (and seriously, that comes standard with the “18-22 year old” package, regardless of political leaning) don’t get that. So, they do some really unwise and stupid shit, which actually ends up hurting themselves and their cause.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

The pro-Israelis caused the violence at UCLA.

How Counterprotesters at U.C.L.A. Provoked Violence, Unchecked for Hours

A New York Times examination of more than 100 videos from clashes at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that violence ebbed and flowed for nearly five hours, mostly with little or no police intervention. The violence had been instigated by dozens of people who are seen in videos counterprotesting the encampment.

The videos showed counterprotesters attacking students in the pro-Palestinian encampment for several hours, including beating them with sticks, using chemical sprays and launching fireworks as weapons. As of Friday, no arrests had been made in connection with the attack.

To build a timeline of the events that night, The Times analyzed two livestreams, along with social media videos captured by journalists and witnesses.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/05/03/us/ucla-protests-encampment-violence.html?smid=url-share

You so desperately want this to be the case.  What the fuck is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Now we need to do the same with all the racist pro-Palestinian protestors shouting antisemitic stuff.

You'd get no argument from me. Can we extend it to folks who shout Islamophobic shit, too?

Or how about we be consistent by also calling out posters on this board who like to dip their toes in the hate pool with not-so-playful "jokes" so that we, as an online community, don't start resembling the racist idiots on SECrant and Texags? I mean, The University of Texas is supposed to set a higher standard, right?

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You so desperately want this to be the case.  What the fuck is wrong with you?

Do you suffer from some kind of disability that prevents you from clicking a link?

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You'd get no argument from me. Can we extend it to folks who shout Islamophobic shit, too?

Or how about we be consistent by also calling out posters on this board who like to dip their toes in the hate pool with not-so-playful "jokes" so that we, as an online community, don't start resembling the racist idiots on SECrant and Texags? I mean, The University of Texas is supposed to set a higher standard, right?

I thought on this this site we just hate everybody equally.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Do you suffer from some kind of disability that prevents you from clicking a link?

Am I derailing your mission to convince the board all violence was instigated by pro-Israeli counter-protestors, and pro-Palestine protestors have no culpability?  That’d be a shame. You’re doing a tremendous job embarrassing yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Am I derailing your mission to convince the board all violence was instigated by pro-Israeli counter-protestors, and pro-Palestine protestors have no culpability?  That’d be a shame. You’re doing a tremendous job embarrassing yourself. 

How'd that racist frat song you defended go again? Also, didn't you get the banhammer for your transphobic shit against one of our own? Talk about embarrassing. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They’ve missed the memo on civil disobedience. Causing a disruption, in violation of the law, IS a protest technique. It has some validity and power. It also has consequences. Mature and rational protestors should acknowledge both.
My wife has participated in two significant clergy-based demonstrations (both connected to immigration issues). There was a large meeting the day before. Areas, plans, and protocols were discussed in detail. Individuals who planned/were willing to be arrested (and to engage in the sit-in behavior that would get them arrested) were given red wrist bands. And the march organizers discussed the plan with law enforcement beforehand. The cops knew what would be done, knew they would be making arrests, and knew there would be no violent resistance to those arrests (the protestors would go limp and allow themselves to be carried away). The statement was made. Images of cops arresting clergy went out, making a point. And nobody was actually harmed. That’s how grownups do civil disobedience. The protestors didn’t claim to own the Capitol rotunda. They didn’t tell the police “you can’t arrest us for breaking the law,” and physically resist when they tried to do so.
Naive, uneducated and inexperienced idealistic kids (and seriously, that comes standard with the “18-22 year old” package, regardless of political leaning) don’t get that. So, they do some really unwise and stupid shit, which actually ends up hurting themselves and their cause.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

All of this.

You want to get arrested in the name of your cause, by all means. It falls clearly into civil disobedience and is a well known form of protest.

You want to restrict movement of another group of people, counter protestors or bystanders, you're now impending on THEIR rights.

You fight back against people defending their rights or they fight you for theirs, that's in the game.

Either or boths sides gets injured or arrested for those actions, it's in the game. 

You signed up for this, and if you aren't prepared to suffer the consequences of your actions don't play the game.

Because it isn't a game at all and there are repercussions to your actions. 

As there should be.

In my youth I was a part of Anti-Racist Actions which ultimately morphed into Antifa. (It's a long complex morph but that's the short version)

As a group we actively went out and faced down with physical aggression groups of neo-nazis who were staking claim to specific areas, most notably the up and coming Deep Ellum at the time.

I put my hands on people and they put their hands on me. Had the police caught the activity I would have gone to jail and likely been charged.

I made the choice to face down folks that were staking claim to a give "space" and issuing their rhetoric and propaganda. They were also issues they crested of violence regarding "unwanted" folks in that space.

I was 15. I knew my life, health and freedom were all at stake. 

I made choices. I don't regret them.

I never went to police before or after, that was my choice.

It's not a game, and the rules are known.

Edited by BurntEyes

As a university we are in a weird place. Yes we’re in the south but we aren’t like the sec schools. We align more with the pac schools so I blame espn and deloss for that.  We could’ve saved the pac 

I think there was heavy interest from the B1G but ou’s academics may have been an issue. 

I think the sec was the best business decision but I don’t want to be lumped in with those inbreds.  I’m not sure this was a slam dunk decision for cdc

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Absolutely. We should not support racism of any kind.

Right again. My only caution is that your description is pretty vague, and more than once I've seen accusations of racism lightly thrown around based on very thin evidence, such as some loose guilt by association. if people are exhibiting racism, then they should be condemned. But that accusation should be reserved for real cases of racism and not used as a cheap way to dunk on someone who is not personally engaging in racist speech or behavior. If someone writes something we disagree with, but it is not racist, let’s engage with the idea and debate the idea and avoid slandering people with false accusations.

Edited by Mikey4

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

As a university we are in a weird place. Yes we’re in the south but we aren’t like the sec schools. We align more with the pac schools so I blame espn and deloss for that.  We could’ve saved the pac 

I think there was heavy interest from the B1G but ou’s academics may have been an issue. 

I think the sec was the best business decision but I don’t want to be lumped in with those inbreds.  I’m not sure this was a slam dunk decision for cdc

The SEC and southern schools are getting better. The states are growing.  And the schools are attractive due to weather, better looking women, sports, and happier students with less screeching weirdos with purple hair and pierced septums.  There are all sorts of articles discussing how applications to southern schools have been exploding.  Them staying more open and having less restrictions during Covid was another factor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Absolutely. We should not support racism of any kind.

Right again. My only caution is that your description is pretty vague, and more than once I've seen accusations of racism lightly thrown around based on very thin evidence, such as some loose guilt by association. if people are exhibiting racism, then they should be condemned. But that accusation should be reserved for real cases of racism and not used as a cheap way to dunk on someone who is not personally engaging in racist speech or behavior. If someone writes something we disagree with, but it is not racist, let’s engage with the idea and debate the idea and avoid slandering people with faults accusations.

Oh, I agree, but you should know that the poster I was specifically referencing has a very long history of it and a well-deserved reputation for being a bigot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

How'd that racist frat song you defended go again? Also, didn't you get the banhammer for your transphobic shit against one of our own? Talk about embarrassing. 

I never defended that song. lol. Rather, I was extremely critical of it from the outset. 

Transphobic?  When?  Hilarious. You’re flailing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Oh, I agree, but you should know that the poster I was specifically referencing has a very long history of it and a well-deserved reputation for being a bigot. 

OK then, if you're referring to legit racism, then I agree. I couldn't tell what exactly you were referring to.

Edited by Mikey4
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The SEC and southern schools are getting better. The states are growing.  And the schools are attractive due to weather, better looking women, sports, and happier students with less screeching weirdos with purple hair and pierced septums.  There are all sorts of articles discussing how applications to southern schools have been exploding.  Them staying more open and having less restrictions during Covid was another factor. 

From an academic perspective, they’re getting kids that couldn’t get into Texas.  Fully admit they’re the best football conference.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

From an academic perspective, they’re getting kids that couldn’t get into Texas.  Fully admit they’re the best football conference.  

They’re also getting a lot of really smart kids that 20-30 years ago went to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

They’re also getting a lot of really smart kids that 20-30 years ago went to Texas. 

Yep. Particularly UGA and Vandy. Also, a lot are CHOOSING to avoid UT and were accepted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Are you talking about me?  What are you on about?

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yes that like to call black people monkeys. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yep. Particularly UGA and Vandy. Also, a lot are CHOOSING to avoid UT and were accepted. 

Every kid that went to UGA from my daughter’s school that went to UGA in the past 2 years was not accepted at UT. Not sure about their stance on calling black people monkeys

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Why?  Too ethnic?

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Every kid that went to UGA from my daughter’s school that went to UGA in the past 2 years was not accepted at UT. Not sure about their stance on calling black people monkeys

Well. Sec?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Anecdotes are fun. HP has a huge UGA pipeline. A lot of those kids got into UT. A gal was accepted to Yale from HP, but not UT. That was 5 years ago. 

Im not saying it’s a political decision to not go there. I think more than that, they’re very accustomed to Austin, because most of all their parents went there, and they want to experience other parts of the country, and most of the people they hang out with in HS are going to UT. 

Making fun of black people as monkeys doesn’t fly, even at Ole Miss, as this guy has already found out. I imagine it is less acceptable in Athens than in Oxford. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Not you

You misremembered my OU SAE song thread reference and accused me of supporting it, which I most certainly did not. On the “transphobe” commentary, I’ve never opined other than to show my disdain for Lia Thomas. I otherwise have never commented. 

31 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I never defended that song. lol. Rather, I was extremely critical of it from the outset. 

Transphobic?  When?  Hilarious. You’re flailing. 

What’s the racist song you sang?

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Anecdotes are fun. HP has a huge UGA pipeline. A lot of those kids got into UT. A gal was accepted to Yale from HP, but not UT. That was 5 years ago. 

Im not saying it’s a political decision to not go there. I think more than that, they’re very accustomed to Austin, because most of all their parents went there, and they want to experience other parts of the country, and most of the people they hang out with in HS are going to UT. 

Making fun of black people as monkeys doesn’t fly, even at Ole Miss, as this guy has already found out. I imagine it is less acceptable in Athens than in Oxford. 

Yeah, the Highland Park, Memorial, Alamo Heights, Churchill students, who were in the top quarter but not top 6% who scored 1250+ on the SAT are looking more at Vandy, North Carolina, Virginia, etc. than they used to.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Did the guy find out from the ole miss student body or the Twitter verse?

I don’t understand smart affluent kids going to places like ole miss and bama but hey maybe their path is already paved if they’re rich

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, the Highland Park, Memorial, Alamo Heights, Churchill students, who were in the top quarter but not top 6% who scored 1250+ on the SAT are looking more at Vandy, North Carolina, Virginia, etc. than they used to.

All three of those schools are more acclaimed than Texas.  Change that 1250 to 1450

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Someone said you were in a frat that had a racist song is that not true?

There was a thread years ago about OU fraternity guys that were singing a racist song and dropped N bombs on a party bus with dates that was recorded. Like 5 years ago. OU athletes were rightfully incensed and there was a major shitstorm on campus with Bob Stoops involved. The 2 offenders on camera were kicked out of school and their lives ruined. 

I was aware of the song, but not because it was ever taught to us as pledges. It is a song that I imagine every fraternity has in its history as an unsanctioned rogue song. I commented at the time how stupid these kids were. But I guess because of my awareness of the song, I’m racist. 

There was a thread years ago about OU fraternity guys that were singing a racist song and dropped N bombs on a party bus with dates that was recorded. Like 5 years ago. OU athletes were rightfully incensed and there was a major shitstorm on campus with Bob Stoops involved. The 2 offenders on camera were kicked out of school and their lives ruined. 

I was aware of the song, but not because it was ever taught to us as pledges. It is a song that I imagine every fraternity has in its history as an unsanctioned rogue song. I commented at the time how stupid these kids were. But I guess because of my awareness of the song, I’m racist. 

Just about anything you say to these fools will be called racist.  Me effectively quoting Robert Byrd dropping an N bomb on CNN was racist to those dipshits.  Despite other people on their team using the N bomb in similar type quotes.  These are not serious people and should be ignored.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

My daughter will be top 6% at HP (probably). She is considering UT but has a much higher affinity for UNC and UVA. She wants to get out of the state for a bit. But she’d go to UT, and her mind will change a few times between now and application time. For a time she was obsessed with UGA. 

Im just grateful she’s off private schools like Vandy and TCU. Shes quit sports to focus on drill team, except track. But I don’t see her getting a track scholarship. 

Including yours?

Unsanctioned, and every fraternity. So of the hundreds of active members or hangers-on, you’re gonna have a wayward former member that’ll teach impressionable freshmen.  We were exposed and shook our heads and I didn’t think about it until 20 years later when that video surfaced. 

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Just about anything you say to these fools will be called racist.  Me effectively quoting Robert Byrd dropping an N bomb on CNN was racist to those dipshits.  Despite other people on their team using the N bomb in similar type quotes.  These are not serious people and should be ignored.  

I’m aware. I’m playing along for the inevitable racist accusation. They think they’re probing my defenses now.  

Unsanctioned, and every fraternity. So of the hundreds of active members or hangers-on, you’re gonna have a wayward former member that’ll teach impressionable freshmen.  We were exposed and shook our heads and I didn’t think about it until 20 years later when that video surfaced. 

So your actives didn’t make your pledge class sing that song or one very similar?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don’t think quoting someone using the N word is racist. I firmly believe you are racist based on your posting history. 

Also why did you feel the need to change your handle?

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sawbonz said:

So your actives didn’t make your pledge class sing that song or one very similar?

Absolutely not. Our actives made us drink and played Human Galaga whilst pegging us with tennis balls and when we “died” we had to shake on the ground like in the video game. 

If we were ever caught singing that song in public, there would be hell to pay at the next pledge meeting and the offender would be kicked out of the fraternity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think quoting someone using the N word is racist. I firmly believe you are racist based on your posting history. 

Great. I don’t care.  You and your ilk think a lot of stupid shit.  

Examples of Frank Drebin’s racist posting history?

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread