If you were a founding father

I think if we went with a direct election or more proportional election system that bypassed the states for the executive branch then there would need to be clear and concrete limits on the powers of the executive branch. Especially given that the executive branch nominates federal judges. I would have then judges elected by the Senate instead of merely confirmed or have a system in which the states each select a representative for the sole purpose of creating a body to select judges. As it is now, the Senate and the electoral college are the only two real influences the states have on the federal government.

Getting rid of the first past the post electoral system in some form could have good consequences. I would propose something along the lines of lumping both senators together in the same election, but each citizen only being allowed to cast a single vote. Maybe have each congressional district represented by three Reps in an election where you only get to cast one vote and the top three are the winners.

Also, for those who wish to abolish the second amendment, that would likely have led to a quick end to our nation, as having a militia and armed citizens was pretty important in our early history. The alternative would have to be having a standing army strong enough to repel foreign and domestic threats. I feel like that would have had negative consequences as well.

And of course abolish slavery and bestow equal rights on all citizens, to include all races and both sexes.

While we are throwing stuff at the wall, unless someone has actually had the ability to vote on the system that punishes them, their constitutional rights cannot be stripped even with due process after any sort of incarceration is completed. And accountability for crooked prosecutors and state actors who withhold evidence or otherwise try and prevent a fair trial for the accused.

14 hours ago, slorch said:

The reason is so churches can be properly punished....um...taxed.  They are the devil.

More money to the gov't.  Less to the population... unless you're a cash only worker or underemployed... then you should get all kinds of money.

I picture you sitting at home posting online with your right hand and holding a shield in your left hand. Ready for battle. Let me see your war face slorch!

1. No gerrymandering---districts have to be divided by natural boundaries and for no more than 100,000 residents.

2. A carve out from the First Amendment for campaigning.  You can only campaign within 2 months of the general election and 1 month of the primary and public funding of campaigns with either no private donations or strict donation limits and no donations or campaigning from corporations or PACs.  

3. Abolish slavery.

4.  Mandatory retirement for judges at 70 and elected officials at age 75.

1 hour ago, staboner said:

I picture you sitting at home posting online with your right hand and holding a shield in your left hand. Ready for battle. Let me see your war face slorch!

Sheeeeiiiitttttttt, bro.   I’m out there working to pay taxes in support of all you commies.

Some people take smoke breaks.  Nicotine ain’t got shit on Surly...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:52 AM, Michael Knight said:

Lot of you founding fathers seem to be ok with slavery

You could say, in a way, it's still around, as in placing folks in detention under false pretense, then forced (in some cases) to work as trustee for minimal or free labor:

On 8/2/2018 at 12:21 PM, Whitman said:

This gets me every time.  Pure comedy genius.  From the little Buggs at the border to a correct rendering of Lake Okeechobee to the fantastic speed at which the peninsula just hauls ass out into the Atlantic.