Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

How did he become an android?

They transferred his memories/personality to a new android, and they were able to make it age-appropriate, so rather than sticking a very elderly man in the body of a 20-something android so that he could continue to be productive for decades to come, and so the fancy expensive android wouldn't be a waste, they made the android so that he would continue aging at his natural pace.  So maybe good for another 20-30 years.

One of the dumbest fucking things in Picard, more so than Legolas.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They transferred his memories/personality to a new android, and they were able to make it age-appropriate, so rather than sticking a very elderly man in the body of a 20-something android so that he could continue to be productive for decades to come, and so the fancy expensive android wouldn't be a waste, they made the android so that he would continue aging at his natural pace.  So maybe good for another 20-30 years.

One of the dumbest fucking things in Picard, more so than Legolas.

No.  The dumbest fucking thing in Picard was season 2, where the Borg know in 2023 that they're gonna hafta team up with Starfleet on 2400 (or whatever) but spend a decade in between trying to wipe Starfleet out.  THAT is the dumbest fucking thing in Picard.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Episode 2.  Not good.

Hide contents

So Picard is retired and has no actual rank...until th wants to override Captain Sourpuss.  Then he says, "Admiral's orders!!!" and everone obeys?  

Spoiler

I'm pretty ok with that. Picard is a legend, he knows the crew will probably just follow his orders on reflex. The bad part is him having a son he didn't know about with Beverly Crusher who he hasn't talked to in what, 20 years? What?

Spoiler

They can't pass that actor off as being 20 years old. It has to be something else. I did wonder if they might try to say she gave birth during that season of TNG when she was gone. That was like 1988 our time, so her kid would be roughly 35. 

Spoiler

image.png.0d4f4b72dcf2396039736d1187fc4d68.png

Edited by Red Five

1 hour ago, Red Five said:
  Hide contents

They can't pass that actor off as being 20 years old. It has to be something else. I did wonder if they might try to say she gave birth during that season of TNG when she was gone. That was like 1988 our time, so her kid would be roughly 35. 

Hide contents

image.png.0d4f4b72dcf2396039736d1187fc4d68.png

Spoiler

So can I ask, how how old is Jack supposed to be?

23, 24, I think we’ve discussed in the in the series.

And you’re 34?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

That was  good episode.

Hide contents

They did a lot with Worf's character in DS9, but left SO much on the table.  Now we're getting it.

"I'm, as humans say, working on myself."

"It is not warrior gear...it is...casual."

Yeah that was a good episode 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The idea that S3 could have been Picard finding out he's never left the Nexus, and that everybody he cares about is in the Nexus with him, except for Wesley, who wasn't invited, would have been so fucking amazing.

Hits close to home bc I’m literally watching Generations right now 

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The idea that S3 could have been Picard finding out he's never left the Nexus, and that everybody he cares about is in the Nexus with him, except for Wesley, who wasn't invited, would have been so fucking amazing.

Idk the immortal milf hasn't shown up (yet)

Also that was a really good episode

Spoiler

Think I missed the pregnancy timeline explanation. She said "Remember just before I left the Enterprise". That would be just after the events of Nemesis?

Also, Riker was right. Good lord, don't try to bow up and fight that thing. Hide as long as you can. 

Edited by Red Five

26 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:
  Hide contents

Also, can we talk about Worf? His look and vibe are the best it's ever been so far, in my opinion. He might actually make Raffi's character arc worth a shit.

Buddy cops fighting enemies of the federation? Now THAT is the Section 31 show we deserve 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spoiler

Several First Contact call backs. The theme music for sure, but also Worf practicing with Berlioz's Les Troyens opera playing in the background. 

The season, so far, has a lot of STII Wrath of Khan to it. Main character dealing with aging, finds he has a son he's never met, goes into a capital ship battle in a nebula....too many similarities. Almost as bad as Nemesis stealing the plot of Khan. 

It's still good for Trek, but I want more. I'm enjoying it, but R5 is right, B to B+. 

Episode 4

That was friggen good.  But since this is Surly, I do have a quibble:

Spoiler

The holodeck has backup batteries so people can have a safe space when everything goes to pot?   Millennials, man.

But I'll allow it.  Show keeps getting better and we have 6 episodes left.

ETA

"You're a dipshit from Chicago."

"Nice"

Edited by Parliament

Also feels like Picard s3 could/should spin-off 2 different and distinct shows:

• Section 31 - procedural crime type of drama with buddy cops Raffi and Worf
  • The New Next Generation on the Titan-A or a new Enterprise
    • Shaw
    • Seven
    • LaForge (both of them, the pilot daughter and the soon-to-appear engineer daughter)
    • Mura (Bajoran Tactical Officer)
    • T'Veen (science)
    • Haliian comms officer

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Shaw is the most interesting character on the show.  He's an insufferable ahole...but you kinda like him.

Why wouldn't you?

Spoiler

His character arc is basically Sisko's - absolutely struggling with PTSD after Wolf 359.  Definitely an asshole, but we sympathize with what he has been through. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also feels like Picard s3 could/should spin-off 2 different and distinct shows:

• Section 31 - procedural crime type of drama with buddy cops Raffi and Worf
  • The New Next Generation on the Titan-A or a new Enterprise
    • Shaw
    • Seven
    • LaForge (both of them, the pilot daughter and the soon-to-appear engineer daughter)
    • Mura (Bajoran Tactical Officer)
    • T'Veen (science)
    • Haliian comms officer

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

I'd love a legit TNG:TNG, but I'm not sure there are enough good plot lines to share with SNW.  

8 hours ago, Parliament said:

That was friggen good.  But since this is Surly, I do have a quibble:

I could see people dying if it all of the sudden shut off and they were in mid-air or whatever.

38 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'd love a legit TNG:TNG, but I'm not sure there are enough good plot lines to share with SNW.  

Are You Kidding Me Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

You're leaving out a current TNG:TNG show.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I could see people dying if it all of the sudden shut off and they were in mid-air or whatever.

Are You Kidding Me Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

You're leaving out a current TNG:TNG show.

And that’s a wonderful show! 

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Fair, but still.  SNW is great and I don't wanna syphon anything off of it.

With Discovery and Picard both ending, we will be down to 1 live action and 2 animated shows. We do not need to go into a Trek blackout again 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's because, unlike S1 and S2 of Picard, the Lower Decks writers/producers love the original source material and don't feel the need to shit all over it.

Matalas is also a huge fan. A great choice for Picard season 3