Tell me about New York City

In early August, we had reservations for Llama San.  I was early though, so I stopped at Bar Pisellino to pass some time and have an Aperol Spritz or three.

i-qZtM4mL-X4.jpg

The empty interior of Llama San

i-QZG2QTt-X2.jpg

This is the Harajuku is Dead at Llama San.  It is Milk Punch, Japanese Gin, Butterfly Pea, Verjus.

i-Fn9HG6L-X2.jpg

We ordered a number of small plates.  First, the aged duck breast nigiri done with cilantro, banana, and nasturtium.

i-tSTFFmL-X2.jpg

Next was the scallop ceviche which was absolutely amazing.  It is done with chirimoya, sesame, and avocado.  Best item of the night, and what they are famous for.  Definitely worth a trip IMO.

i-SBwgVzz-X4.jpg

It was time for another drink.  This time went with Sancho Panza.  It is a Japanese take on a daiquiri with Japanese Rum, Pineapple Rum, Lime, Sesame, and Sancho Peppercorn.

i-mhQFGcG-X2.jpg

Next was the chicken thigh maki, which is served with walnuts, aji amarillo, and alfonso olives.

i-w5KRfSj-X4.jpg

Then we wrapped up with the Iberico Port Tonkatsu.  It comes with udon verde.  The noodles were great as was the Tonkatsu.  

i-gfMttWn-X4.jpg

i-n5WTtWv-X4.jpg

Final dish of the night was dessert which was a Peruvian chocolate cake, with black sesame and shipped cream fraiche.  Great end to the meal.

i-c9TtF59-X2.jpg

Prior to the pandemic, Llama San was the hottest ticket in town.  Once they reopened for outdoor, we were lucky to be able to get a seat as at the time, they only had about 8 tables outside in a very small space.  Definitely one to put on the list.

• Hook 'Em 1

Frenchette finally reopened for outdoor dining in August as well.  I got a reservation for Friday, August 14.  

While I waited for my friend, I had my favorite drink there, the Navarre Pineau des Charentes Rose Spritz.  

i-fkfzXT4-X2.jpg

Also, had an amazing view of the setting sun down N. Moore St.

i-pqv576h-X4.jpg

i-fQ3kcRG-X4.jpg

Once my friend arrived, I was ready for another cocktail.  Went with the Roncier de Fruite, which is bourbon, berries, and lemon.  She had a dirty martini.  They also brought out fresh baked bread.  The Frenchette team was about to take over the Arcade bakery space (https://ny.eater.com/2020/10/19/21523597/frenchette-bakery-tribeca-riad-nasr-lee-hanson-arcade).  

i-pj6vmbp-X2.jpg

We started with blowfish (Absolutely amazing and I highly recommend.  No, this isn't the one that can kill you.  It is unfortuntate this is not permanantly on the Frenchette menu) and the pate.

i-mGXF4GK-X4.jpg

i-mG6dBkB-600x292.jpg

For main courses, we went with duck frites and the cochon de lait frites which came with an excellent kimchi butter sauce.  Got bernaise to dip the frites in.  

i-24LLxgc-X4.jpg

i-pRRHfq9-X4.jpg

i-dWcXf6n-X2.jpg

i-46qD4Mn-X4.jpg

We had a great bottle of wine...

i-Cqx5Tnk-X2.jpg

We wrapped up dinner with Frenchette's version of a strawberry charlotte and a coffee.  Holy hell, it was tasty.

i-54xhTR5-X4.jpg

Before leaving, the Frenchette team gave us each of a loaf of their Pain de Campagne.  I took mine and put it in my bag.  After dinner, we wanted to try and get another drink or two (which with Cuomo's order of food required AND the closing time of restaurants at the time (hard 11 PM), we were uncertain of.  On the way, we passed the Ghostbusters firehouse.  My friend donated her loaf of bread to the firemen rather than carry it home.

i-cnBwcFb-X2.jpg

i-LQJDzzd-X2.jpg

i-z49FwZD-X4.jpg

i-KmbqxT5-X4.jpg

i-VRvrFG4-X2.jpg

We stopped at Smith and Mills which is another block away and had two tasty cocktails (they amazingly sat us, but turned away other people).

We then headed back to my house and made cocktails called Anna Pavlova's. They are vodka, lemon juice, egg shite, and a dash of vanilla. So, so tasty.

i-nzmRvn9-X4.jpg

i-FNdN6kH-X2.jpg

A good night was had by all.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Above is the Saks light show.  I got the whole thing, but a stupid bus started honking, so I cut the vid. I will go back threre one night this week and get better shots.  

This week is kind of nuts.  Have a breakfast tomorrow with a friend at Angelina (Yes, Angelina Paris opened on Bryant Park).  Then tomorrow night, we are hitting Cosme before Daniela Soto-Innes last day (the 20th of December) and they shut down indoor dining.  

Then I am meeting some of my soon to be former colleagues for a late lunch on Thursday (that means we will be drinking at some point).  

Oh, and my soon to be former admin has invited me to her house for cocktails and lights at Dyker Heights.  So I am going to do that soon, though having to keep an eye on the weather for that.  

So I think I posted about our dinner at Le Bernardin.  We ended up going on November 6th.  I had offered to buy the first bottle of champagne if the election turned out how we all wanted.  While it wasn't officially announced, we went ahead and celebrated knowing it was going to happen soon.

We went to Aldo Somm at 5 (our reservation was at 5:30) and enjoyed glasses of La Caravelle's Cuvee Nina and a plate of oysters (have to order food with your wine!).

i-SQdzF57-X2.jpg

We went next door to Le Bernardin for our 5:30 res.  As one of my friends is not a seafood eater (other than Salmon), but wanted to come, we did not do the full tasting menu, we did the Prix Fix. 

Here is the view of the dining room from our table.  As you can see, everything well spaced, and Le Bernardin has spent a fortune installing an air system that will kill COVID quickly (for more info - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-18/how-le-bernardin-is-reopening-indoor-dining-in-new-york).

i-Xwwg7Jw-X2.jpg

First came out the chef's amuse bouche, which was probably the best lobster bisque I have ever had.  And of course all the fresh baked bread.  They bring a tray and you can select.  All the bread is amazing, but admittedly, I got no photos of that.

i-dJ7CdP9-X2.jpg

Also, to note, the servicewear is still the same as my last trip to Le Bernardin which was in May 2013.  I love that pattern.

For champagne, we went with the Egly-Ouriet Les Vignes de Vrigny which is a Blanc de Noirs.  I really, really liked this bottle.  I had narrowed it down to a couple of the grower champagnes, and this is the one the sommelier recommended.

i-dVt88Q3-X2.jpg

For my first course, I had the kampashi sashimi and flying fish roe served with a ginger-wasabi emulsion.  I unfortunately do not remember what my dining companions ordered, nor did I take photos of theirs (except for dessert).  This was, excellent, but honestly, was my least favorite of all the courses.  It was excellent, and the flavors all went well together, but the next two courses were amazing.

i-TfqmcsQ-X2.jpg

The second course was sauteed sepia (i.e. cuttlefish) "ribbons" with saffron risotto and a lemon confit emulsion.  As with the last time, the sauce is added at the table.  This dish was absolutely amazing.  I loved everything about it, and I am glad I asked for the recommendation.

i-LdBcSx8-X2.jpg

By this time, we were done with champagne and needed more wine.  We went with a red, which I know is a bit odd, but it worked really well with our mains.  We had the Domaine Sylvain Pataille 2018 Marsannay.  I loved this wine, and I am going to try and find this for my own collection.

i-Xrdhdvh-X2.jpg

For my main course, I went with the dover sole.  This was served with almonds, chanterelles and a soy-lime emulsion.  This was also absolutely outstanding.  I love dover sole, and this is the best one I have ever had.

i-H6dJB8S-X2.jpg

For dessert, we all ordered something different and shared as by this point, we were all very, very full.  

I ordered the Baba au Rhum, which was done with a whipped carmelized honey and tahitian vanilla ice cream.  One of my friends got the Cocoa.  That was done with a warm chocolate chiboust, pawpaw puree, and a cocoa nib tuile (this was incredibly decadent and rich).  And my other friend got the Apple.  That was done with a brown butter mousse, apple confit, and an Armagnac sabayon.  All we very, very tasty.  And we had espresso martinis to go with rather than traditional coffee (it is kind of our thing).

i-JsWXFtS-X2.jpg

i-tMCdBbr-X2.jpg

i-KtskRHc-X2.jpg

While we were finishing our espresso martinis, they brought us out these little plates of sweets.  From bottom, clockwise, a chocolate macaron, cononut marshmallow, a truffle, and I do not remember what the last was.  All were very good.

i-rfgq59P-X2.jpg

All in all, it was an absolutely excellent meal, and we were in good spirits.  While one of my friends went home, ther other two of us went back to Aldo Somm and continued our night.  We ordered a little cheese and another bottle of wine, this time an Etna Rosso.

i-52fKK3L-X2.jpg

Then we grabbed a car and went down to Dante in the West Village (an offshoot of Dante) and had more cocktails and more cheese and meats (no pics at this point as we were all a bit sloshed).  We then came back to my house and had more drinks and wine at my house.  It was a fantastic night.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So I think I posted about our dinner at Le Bernardin.  We ended up going on November 6th.  I had offered to buy the first bottle of champagne if the election turned out how we all wanted.  While it wasn't officially announced, we went ahead and celebrated knowing it was going to happen soon.

We went to Aldo Somm at 5 (our reservation was at 5:30) and enjoyed glasses of La Caravelle's Cuvee Nina and a plate of oysters (have to order food with your wine!).

i-SQdzF57-X2.jpg

We went next door to Le Bernardin for our 5:30 res.  As one of my friends is not a seafood eater (other than Salmon), but wanted to come, we did not do the full tasting menu, we did the Prix Fix. 

Here is the view of the dining room from our table.  As you can see, everything well spaced, and Le Bernardin has spent a fortune installing an air system that will kill COVID quickly (for more info - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-18/how-le-bernardin-is-reopening-indoor-dining-in-new-york).

i-Xwwg7Jw-X2.jpg

First came out the chef's amuse bouche, which was probably the best lobster bisque I have ever had.  And of course all the fresh baked bread.  They bring a tray and you can select.  All the bread is amazing, but admittedly, I got no photos of that.

i-dJ7CdP9-X2.jpg

Also, to note, the servicewear is still the same as my last trip to Le Bernardin which was in May 2013.  I love that pattern.

For champagne, we went with the Egly-Ouriet Les Vignes de Vrigny which is a Blanc de Noirs.  I really, really liked this bottle.  I had narrowed it down to a couple of the grower champagnes, and this is the one the sommelier recommended.

i-dVt88Q3-X2.jpg

For my first course, I had the kampashi sashimi and flying fish roe served with a ginger-wasabi emulsion.  I unfortunately do not remember what my dining companions ordered, nor did I take photos of theirs (except for dessert).  This was, excellent, but honestly, was my least favorite of all the courses.  It was excellent, and the flavors all went well together, but the next two courses were amazing.

i-TfqmcsQ-X2.jpg

The second course was sauteed sepia (i.e. cuttlefish) "ribbons" with saffron risotto and a lemon confit emulsion.  As with the last time, the sauce is added at the table.  This dish was absolutely amazing.  I loved everything about it, and I am glad I asked for the recommendation.

i-LdBcSx8-X2.jpg

By this time, we were done with champagne and needed more wine.  We went with a red, which I know is a bit odd, but it worked really well with our mains.  We had the Domaine Sylvain Pataille 2018 Marsannay.  I loved this wine, and I am going to try and find this for my own collection.

i-Xrdhdvh-X2.jpg

For my main course, I went with the dover sole.  This was served with almonds, chanterelles and a soy-lime emulsion.  This was also absolutely outstanding.  I love dover sole, and this is the best one I have ever had.

i-H6dJB8S-X2.jpg

For dessert, we all ordered something different and shared as by this point, we were all very, very full.  

I ordered the Baba au Rhum, which was done with a whipped carmelized honey and tahitian vanilla ice cream.  One of my friends got the Cocoa.  That was done with a warm chocolate chiboust, pawpaw puree, and a cocoa nib tuile (this was incredibly decadent and rich).  And my other friend got the Apple.  That was done with a brown butter mousse, apple confit, and an Armagnac sabayon.  All we very, very tasty.  And we had espresso martinis to go with rather than traditional coffee (it is kind of our thing).

i-JsWXFtS-X2.jpg

i-tMCdBbr-X2.jpg

i-KtskRHc-X2.jpg

While we were finishing our espresso martinis, they brought us out these little plates of sweets.  From bottom, clockwise, a chocolate macaron, cononut marshmallow, a truffle, and I do not remember what the last was.  All were very good.

i-rfgq59P-X2.jpg

All in all, it was an absolutely excellent meal, and we were in good spirits.  While one of my friends went home, ther other two of us went back to Aldo Somm and continued our night.  We ordered a little cheese and another bottle of wine, this time an Etna Rosso.

i-52fKK3L-X2.jpg

Then we grabbed a car and went down to Dante in the West Village (an offshoot of Dante) and had more cocktails and more cheese and meats (no pics at this point as we were all a bit sloshed).  We then came back to my house and had more drinks and wine at my house.  It was a fantastic night.  

Looks like a great evening. I’m glad they’re opening things back up. Any idea if they’re still open?

There already is. I have friends in the industry saying that this will create an exodus of culinary talent out the city. If the Petri dish schools are open, it doesn’t make sense to shut down indoor dining.

Ok, so last Wednesday was dinner at Cosme.  

Started out with a Think Pink cocktail.  This is with Yola, Empirical Spirits' "Fuck Trump and his stupid fucking wall," Aperol, grapefruit, and pink salt.

i-Jd87rnJ-X2.jpg

We also ordered the herb guacamole.

i-T6XMSVG-X2.jpg

Both my friend and I ordered the pre fixe menu, and I added the wine pairing.

I started out with the striped bass aguachile (basically a ceviche) that was served with meyer lemon and pasilla mixe.  The wine that was served with the Manzanilla Pasada #83 "Bota NO".  Really love that they started this one out with a sherry.  

i-mPZwgJd-X2.jpg

i-rLTK5zm-X2.jpg

i-vjx7pPH-X2.jpg

My friend ordered the uni infladiata a la mexicana.  This was served with avocado.

i-fTbRbtC-X2.jpg

The next course for me was the kuri squash tetela, with feta and a pumpkin seed sauce.  The wine was a 2016 "Non-Tradition Weiss" from Christian Tschida.

i-dsWn6wQ-X2.jpg

i-xRhgD3d-X2.jpg

i-kXG6dJG-X2.jpg

My friend had the heirloom grits with chanterelles, NY cheddar and truffle for her second course.

i-7sPVXmJ-X2.jpg

For the main course, I went with the tamarind lamb breast.  The wine was the 2017 "Kapitel I" from Christian Tschida.

i-Xbj8Qgs-X2.jpg

i-nZtfhPT-X2.jpg

i-CqJsHBt-X2.jpg

i-JH4KmZr-X2.jpg

My friend went with the short rib with onions and bone marrow.  This was served with corn tortillas.

i-RqfjZKj-X2.jpg

For dessert, we first ordered the corn husk meruingue.  This is possibly one of my favorite desserts I have ever had.  Who knew!

i-JpznvbR-X2.jpg

My dessert was the membrillo con queso with bunelo.  This was served with the Cosme mezcal.  My friend went with the concord grape raspado serviced with an avocado sorbet.

i-mS39XxX-X2.jpg

i-2HCXv3T-X2.jpg

i-9SnLc6M-X2.jpg

i-jxQms8N-X2.jpg

Glad we went before indoor dining shut down and Soto-Innes left (her last day is on the 20th, though Cosme was only doing indoor).  

After dinner, we walked to Park for me to catch a cab and my friend to get on the subway.  Got a great photo of the Fotografiska museum.

i-bkcTshv-X2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have a number of things to catch up on on this thread.  The NOMAD for Christmas was excellent.  Some great photos to share.  For those in the city, their rooftop tent is fantastic.  We had the best seat in the house, and they tolerated us for longer than our 2.5 hours.  Granted, we were spending $$, but still.

Also, had a birthday since then (Jan 10th).  Went to Minetta Tavern for brunch, had lots of shots at Off The Wagon next door (all outside mind you), then went drunk shopping at Bergdorf Goodman right before close.  Probably the best birthday since either 39 or 40 (both were memorable).  

I am actually digging the outdoor dining during the winter.  1.  It is less crowded and 2.  Gives you an excuse to order more cocktails (keeping you warm...).

Will come back and post photos.  

• Like 1

Great article in Bloomberg on the new Moynihan Train Hall.  Also, Bloomberg named NYC as one of its 2021 places to visit to watch the Renaissance.  We shall see.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-15/can-the-moynihan-train-hall-redeem-penn-station?srnd=premium&sref=knoriXqz

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/best-places-to-travel-2021/?srnd=pursuits-vp&sref=knoriXqz

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, need some new places to go. Anyone want to live vicariously through me? Throw suggestions out there and I’ll try and get to as many as I can.

Craft. 

It's the best overall meal experience I've had, when you factor in service. It's not fancy, or new, but goddamn it's professional. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

21 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, need some new places to go. Anyone want to live vicariously through me? Throw suggestions out there and I’ll try and get to as many as I can.

Will you go have drinks at King Cole at the St Regis before dinner, then to Babbo for dinner, then Bemelmans for drinks after for me?  And if you could just live stream it or FaceTime with me for all of it...that would be great.  TIA

47 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Will you go have drinks at King Cole at the St Regis before dinner, then to Babbo for dinner, then Bemelmans for drinks after for me?  And if you could just live stream it or FaceTime with me for all of it...that would be great.  TIA

Not sure King Cole and Bemelmans are open at the moment.  Hell, most the hotels are closed as well.  My neighbor was the concierge at the Four Seasons, and he has been unemployed since March.  :(

Also, would take non food and drink things.  Anything anyone wants to see or do in NYC.  I am trying to broaden my horizons.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not sure King Cole and Bemelmans are open at the moment.  Hell, most the hotels are closed as well.  My neighbor was the concierge at the Four Seasons, and he has been unemployed since March.  :(

Also, would take non food and drink things.  Anything anyone wants to see or do in NYC.  I am trying to broaden my horizons.  

Yeah, I know...I just wanted to reminisce.  sighhhhhh

So this weekend, indoor dining is back.  

Friday is Lunar New Year, so we are headed to Chinatown.  We have reservations at Hwa Yuan Szechuan at 6:30.  It is going to be absolutely freezing Friday, so we will try and walk around to see the lanterns all hung up, but I doubt we stay out too long unless we find a place that would let us in to have a drink.  

Saturday, I will be down in Soho for appointments (Last summer, I cut all my hair off a la Charlize Theron in The Old Guard, and it is just now long enough to have them do it in a one length bob) and then walking around if the weather permits.  It is a high of 29 and a low of 25, so provided the wind isn't too bad, it might be ok.

Sunday, is Valentine's Day and we have plans in Bushwick.  A restaurant (The Turk's Inn) with an event space (The Sultan Room) is opening up for Valentine's Day only for dinner and a show.  A drag show.  We decided to forego the Michelin star restaurant in the LES and do this instead.  :) 

Then a friend is moving, so we are doing dinner at Red Rooster on Tuesday the 16th.  

Then on Sunday, the 21st, I will be going to the Met to see the new Goya exhibit.  It is just opening up this week.

I am trying to get out and about on the weekends as who knows if/when things will shut down again.  

Have made a long list of places I would like to try out, and am probably going to start a weekly supper club with some friends to try and knock through a lot of them.  

I have a number of things to catch up on on this thread.  The NOMAD for Christmas was excellent.  Some great photos to share.  For those in the city, their rooftop tent is fantastic.  We had the best seat in the house, and they tolerated us for longer than our 2.5 hours.  Granted, we were spending $$, but still.
Also, had a birthday since then (Jan 10th).  Went to Minetta Tavern for brunch, had lots of shots at Off The Wagon next door (all outside mind you), then went drunk shopping at Bergdorf Goodman right before close.  Probably the best birthday since either 39 or 40 (both were memorable).  
I am actually digging the outdoor dining during the winter.  1.  It is less crowded and 2.  Gives you an excuse to order more cocktails (keeping you warm...).
Will come back and post photos.  

Off the Wagon? Lol. They sure do water down drinks and fill up bottles with other liquor...or it was rumored.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend is in town from Copenhagen (she moved back in December, but needed to come back and wrap up some things, so got the approval to come), and we are going to celebrate International Women's Day at King and then grab drinks somewhere (probably Dante or Dante West Village since we like both of them).

Went to Hutte on Saturday night with friends and had fondue.  It was really good and a cool little spot at 86th and 2nd Ave.  There is a German restaurant next door, Heidelberg, I want to go back and try, and want to see what all Schaller's Stube and the shop next door have as well (Hutte is through Shaller's Stube and down the stairs into the back garden).  

So last night was a lot of fun.  Met up at Dante (the OG) for a few pre dinner drinks (and a snack since you have to order food), then headed to King.  King is amazing and I am ready to go back already.  Loved it.  After a great dinner with great wine, headed to Katana Kitten where they let us order a drink without ordering food.  It was a little bit of normalcy that was amazing.  Also, that bar is awesome, and I will be going back.  

Will post photos later today or tomorrow.  

Trying to plan out the week since we have some amazing days.  It is 63 and sunny right now, and I am stuck inside trying to answer some questions to put some issues to bed.  Hoping tomorrow I can wrap up some work and be able to enjoy the warm Thursday and Friday afternoons before the temperature falls on the weekend.